Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Poor rules kinda ruin this for me... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
First of all, we really liked normal pandemic. We didn't have any expansions though
So after I read so much buzz and great things about legacy, we simply had to get it. I don't have any issue with it being one shot story, actually, I am kinda waiting for it to finish.
But simply when ever we want to play it, there is already this mental barrier, great, I get to spend another 30min at least searching for answers on internet, during setup, after game etc. And it's really tedious.
Other game that was rules mess was Robinson Crusoe, but then it just clicked and suddenly I knew everything and that was it. With pandemic, every game is same, there is always something not explained well enough.
But really, I don't get why everyone thinks that legacy is BEST game in the world. Is it better game than normal pandemic? Depends, after playing this, I would never recommend it to non gamer, while at the same time, normal pandemic clicks quite easy with non gamer crowd.
I get whole legacy thing, and it really is nice. The impact on the board, characters etc. Who cares is people die, I don't wanna my guy to get scar,lol, spoken like a true patriot
But when it comes to rules, I find this pretty bad. A lot of stuff is simply not explained enough. And half the time we are, okay, now should we do something, should we not? Will it simply explain itself in the game later on, will it not? How does this really work. What if I was supposed to open this, but I did not etc.
And then, since we are not playing the game that often, you forget new things or sometimes, and then either remember them in the middle of the game or after the game, we are, oh, we forgot about this, so we kinda cheated....
If the rules were better explained, I would liked this much more, but because they are not(or maybe we are stupid when it comes to this game,lol), it kinda ruins enjoyment I would get with this game with so much unnecessary time spent googling things and banging head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had only played Pandemic about twice before starting Legacy, and I don't recall any particularly bad rules sections.

The only one I can recall is having the set up steps be split oddly across 2 pages.

Can you recall a rule you felt was particularly badly explained?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just from last game august for example, you need to collect some stuff for one 'new character' , yet at the same time, we are unsure, okay, so will we get this stuff during the game in future, will we not, is this maybe only kinda fluffy so we don't have to get it actually. On net someone says open the box when you put sticker on it, later you find ,you actually are not supposed to open it until you do get this stuff etc. So there are a lot of things open in the air for interpretation, and what happens if we somehow miss to get something etc.
And every game is like this. There is always something that you are left unsure, do we do it this way or not etc.
I think I am yet to discard a card for entering city, because I always forget about that.
For me rules are simply not written, okay, I know EXACTLY what to do, and how it works for a lot of stuff. But instead a lot of things are left in gray area, which can me interpreted in more than one way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stadig
United States
Crozet
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about the sticker for box 7 that was pretty clear to me. The sticker says open it when you have all the things for the character, and there's a card with a checklist of all the things the character needs, and you check them off as you get them. I don't see how that is ambiguous in any way. Maybe that was a bad example of a poor rule? Or maybe YMMV?

There were a couple of things that were unclear to us. Sometimes the rules will say "as an action" and sometimes they will say "Treat Disease." We interpreted one character upgrade as more powerful than it should have been because we weren't sure if "Treat Disease" meant using an action, but we just changed our interpretation next game. Maybe it should have been obvious that referring to an action means it uses an action. *shrug*

Rule interpretation is different than remembering to apply rules. We've done some of that, too. I'm pretty sure a few times we've forgotten to increase panic levels and add scars as a result of outbreaks, but we just try to remember better next time. As I've written on the components with a permanent marker I've made typos, which kind of annoy me, but this is my game. My game will have typos that are different than your game, because they're my typos. I embrace the fact that this is an experience and perhaps a little messy and unclear, just like real life. My game is unique. No one will have played the game exactly the same as me, mistakes and all! I've chosen to see that as fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
On the one hand, the rules could have been better.

I know this, because I myself compiled an infrequently asked, unanswered questions thread. And Matt Leacock has said that he and Rob Daviau have learned from the experience of making Season One and will make the rules more clear in Season Two.

I've just counted, and only six of the clarifications in the main FAQ are things our team didn't couldn't determine from the actual rules as printed. None were major.

So provided you're in a mindset where you expect things to be said only once and to say precisely what they mean, provided you do everything you're told to and nothing you're not, the rules are basically fine. We could have played without the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I feel the Pandemic Legacy rules were very clear. I don't think I looked up a single thing on BGG the whole campaign. On the other hand, T.I.M.E Stories was the worst for me in that regard. Everything about that game is vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Honestly, I feel the Pandemic Legacy rules were very clear. I don't think I looked up a single thing on BGG the whole campaign. On the other hand, T.I.M.E Stories was the worst for me in that regard. Everything about that game is vague.

For the most part I'll agree, we only had a couple of small rules questions in Pandemic Legacy as we went on, and most of those were easily resolved using common sense and logic, with only one question requiring a search online.

We did mess up a number of things, though, just due to not remembering, or overlooking something. Part of the problem is that we only got together to play it once every 3-4 months, and we really should have re-read all of the rules stickers every time. It wasn't until we hit October that someone noticed we had missed a fairly significant rule introduced early on, which would have made the game significantly harder.

I feel like there are a LOT of other games which are much more nebulous in the rules department. Time Stories was definitely one of them (although with that style of game, I'm not as concerned with whether or not we're 100% correct on rules, as long as everyone is having a good time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of elements are alluded to in this thread that should be spoiler-ed. Please consider doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.