Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drama
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
yesterday we played our first few games of Arcadia Quest and a question came up regarding "hitting additonal targets".
First let me say, that we played the german version, so I unfortunatley don't know the english wordings and I possible won't use the correct terms when explaining the situation, I hope you will understand anyway. Sometimes the english wordings are also clearer than the translations, maybe thats the whole point of our dilemma...?

The hole thing startet when we encounterd Lord Fang lvl 2-4. His card says "may also hit any nummer of additional targets in meele range of the target" (or something like that). At this point we first realised, that there may be a difference between "attacking additional targets" and "hitting additional targets" since differend cards use differend terms.

But what is the difference?

From our understanding attacking an additional traget means: Attacker rolls only once. Every target may roll individual defense dice, if they have any.

Now whats hitting additional targets?
Are those targets allowed to roll defence dice? Or do they get the full damage of the attack dice? Or does the main target roll defense dice and the resulted damage is also inflicted to those additional hitted target?

Or maybe is there no difference? We thought that this is the case, when we had the following situation, tried to solve it, got confused and startet to think if attacking and hitting additional targets is not the same thing:
Player A attacked Lord Fang (quest said we need to kill him) from the spot next to him, while Player B (me) was in the same spot with Lord Fang. Player A wasn't able to kill Lord Fang, so he attacked back. Since Lord Fang has this ability mentioned above Player A was the main target and Player B was the additional hitted target.
Both Players had the ability to inflict damage to the attacker when defending.
So Player C rolled for Lord Fang. Since Player A was the main target we thought he got to roll defense dice first. Player A defended, survived und did some damage to Lord Fang. Now at this point we thought Player B can also defend. So I rolled, defended and did the last two damage to Lord Fang. He died, I solved the quest and got the item. All that just because I was and additional hitted target.
(If Player B is allowed to defend, does he AFTER Player A did? Or do they technicalliy at the same time and share the victory and the single item (which is impossible to share) since Fang only died because of both palyers defensedamage)? In the end we rewinded this situation and supposed that I wasn't allowed to roll dice. But this was just a guess and not satisfying.

So to sum this up: What is the difference between attackting and hitting additonal tragets and how was our Lord Fang situation solved correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Fang's english card reads:
"May also target any number of enemies close to the target. When attacking, each burst heals 2 wounds"

It means that his attack roll can be used against other Heroes orthogonally adjacent to his main target (the Hero that attacked him or triggered reaction). Each Heroes targeted this way can roll defense.

a question though on your description: how were wounds inflicted to Lord Fang when you guys defended ? Did you have buffs/items that damage when defending ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drama
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so it's "to target" what the translation made to "hit".
So to target an additional enemy is the exact same thing as to attack an additional enemy?
Which lvl Lord Fang card is this text from? I can't remember the healing ability. And also whats burst? Is it whats called crit in german? That exploding symbol?

To your question: unfortunatley it's not my game, so I can't go and check the components and tell you exactly: Player B (me) had the character ability to inflict damage when rolling crits on defense dice. Player A's ability came from an item. Don't know its name but it dealed damage for every blocked hit (shield and crit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lathspell wrote:
Player A attacked Lord Fang (quest said we need to kill him) from the spot next to him, while Player B (me) was in the same spot with Lord Fang. Player A wasn't able to kill Lord Fang, so he attacked back. Since Lord Fang has this ability mentioned above Player A was the main target and Player B was the additional hitted target.
Both Players had the ability to inflict damage to the attacker when defending.
So Player C rolled for Lord Fang. Since Player A was the main target we thought he got to roll defense dice first. Player A defended, survived and did some damage to Lord Fang. Now at this point we thought Player B can also defend. So I rolled, defended and did the last two damage to Lord Fang. He died, I solved the quest and got the item. All that just because I was and additional hitted target.
(If Player B is allowed to defend, does he AFTER Player A did? Or do they technicalliy at the same time and share the victory and the single item (which is impossible to share) since Fang only died because of both palyers defensedamage)? In the end we rewinded this situation and supposed that I wasn't allowed to roll dice. But this was just a guess and not satisfying.

So to sum this up: What is the difference between attackting and hitting additonal tragets and how was our Lord Fang situation solved correctly?

Overall, you played the situation in a good way, but the rules do allow for some additional choices. Specifically, the player whose turn it is (player A in this case) is allowed to choose which effect happens first if two effects are simultaneous. Player A could have chosen to have Player B roll defense first. Both players are attacked, and so both are allowed to defend and with those abilities and items cause damage, but the controlling player chooses the order in which they defend.

Also, recall that players who cause damage to a villain do receive a partial coin reward if another player kills the villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lathspell wrote:
Okay, so it's "to target" what the translation made to "hit".
So to target an additional enemy is the exact same thing as to attack an additional enemy?
Which lvl Lord Fang card is this text from? I can't remember the healing ability. And also whats burst? Is it whats called crit in german? That exploding symbol?

To your question: unfortunatley it's not my game, so I can't go and check the components and tell you exactly: Player B (me) had the character ability to inflict damage when rolling crits on defense dice. Player A's ability came from an item. Don't know its name but it dealed damage for every blocked hit (shield and crit).

I used the Lvl6 card text, I did not check the other levels, I assume they would be quite similar.
Actually in english it is also called "CRIT", I forgot the term.
Overall you played right by rolling defense, and as mentioned by Arysdis4, the current player had to choose who rolled first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.