Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Pandemic with 8 yo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] 8yo [+] kid-playable [+] Age:08 [+] [View All]
Rafał Olek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do You think, will he manage or is it too early?
From other co-ops we play Mice and Mistycs and Legends of Andor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give it a go. I've played Pandemic with my 8 year old and she managed it fine (and made some helpful suggestions). She did need some help I think. Children (and adults for that matter) vary a lot in how quickly they understand a particular game however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rafalolek wrote:
What do You think, will he manage or is it too early?
From other co-ops we play Mice and Mistycs and Legends of Andor.

Should be fine especially if his role is one of the easier ones to play. After all for some roles the main task is moving around the board hoovering disease cubes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. My son at 7 was quite good at this. He did start on Forbidden Island and had already played quite a few others.

He's now 12 and is fantastic at rules and getting Pandemic was a key game for him.

My view is just make it fun and important and go slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Co-ops with my 5 year old and I think Pandemic ~could~ be in her wheel house. The issue is how much you want to manage their turns. With mine I do a lot of "okay, honey, you can do A, B or C. What do you think?"

We just knocked out a game of Flashpoint Fire Rescue the other night and she mostly did her own thing but in that game it was pretty direct. Go here, get that person, get out with them. Pandemic suffers a lot from having more options on a given turn but benefits more from the need for a coordinated plan for the entire group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I play with my 6 yr old and he makes the right moves almost every time. The only moves he might miss sometimes is taking other players roles in to account, but that's a perfect time to co-operate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be surprised what a kid can grasp. I've been gaming with my 7 year old for years now, and she can play just about anything. The only thing she struggles with is card games with heavy strategy because the large amount of text on many many cards coupled with a complicated game state can be hard for an adult too. Pandemic is great, it isn't too hard for that age. If you're looking for some other co-ops I'd suggest Forbidden island, forbidden desert, and castle panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Forbidden Island with my 6yo and it went fine. I guess Pandemic would work for him, too, but I don't have that any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they can handle M&M and Legends of Andor, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Have fun and save the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Olek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've heard a lot about Castle Panic but it's only in English so that's a problem. I was afraid it's too early for Pandemic and I wanted to try it for a long time so now at last I have an excuse . Thanks a lot .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I'd give it a go. I've played Pandemic with my 8 year old and she managed it fine (and made some helpful suggestions). She did need some help I think. Children (and adults for that matter) vary a lot in how quickly they understand a particular game however.

This is a wonderful thread to come shortly after the thread complaining of how Pandemic was one of the most needlessly complex games ever.

Yes, it's worth a try. Like others, I started with Forbidden Island and my daughter became hooked on the central mechanic. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Thompson
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter started playing pandemic at 6. Her first role was a medic, it which she was just focused on cleaning up the hot spots while I focused on getting cures. After a few loses we eventually won a game or two. Once she understood controlling the disease she practiced being the scientist and hand management. We went on then to other roles. We just took our time and played each role a few times before moving to a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rian Van Der Merwe
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I play Pandemic with my 7YO all the time and she LOVES it. Definitely give it a go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

This is a wonderful thread to come shortly after the thread complaining of how Pandemic was one of the most needlessly complex games ever.

Yes, it's worth a try. Like others, I started with Forbidden Island and my daughter became hooked on the central mechanic. Good luck and have fun!

Pandemic ... Needlessly complex ..... Words I wouldn't put together. What a strange world we live in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got this for my 9 year old cousin-in-law, and it instantly clicked. Your 8 year old should be fine, especially if they're already playing Legends of Andor (which is more complicated than Pandemic, IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rianvdm wrote:
I play Pandemic with my 7YO all the time and she LOVES it. Definitely give it a go
I like your board placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.