Subject: Component quality in the 2016 version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I've read that the first version of Deception had iffy components (marked/flimsy cards and tiles). Did this change with the 2016 version (with the Dice Tower logo)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having purchased it last yr, I can definitely attest to the very low quality of the cards. I had a few that were really badly marked and off center. I requested replacements, and the ones I received were not only just as bad if not worse, but a different shade of color on the backs. I requested replacements again, this time receiving an entire shrinkwrapped set of all the cards. Once again, really bad quality, tried to mix and match to come up with a playable set but couldnt.

Finally, just ended up purchasing sleeves with solid red backs to blank them all out. The cardboard tiles were solid tho. The little grey markers were ok, passable imo, but coulda used a little more to them. Luckily, the game is pretty good, so its fine I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmb
Xhawk wrote:
(...)
Finally, just ended up purchasing sleeves with solid red backs to blank them all out. (...)

Thank you very much for the info! That's sad to hear. What sleeves did you use (I'd prefer solid blacks), do they fit nicely?

Also, do you think it's necessary to sleeve the small cards? I'd gladly save a few bucks and some time and pass. Plus, the shininess wouldn't help the readability of those cards I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Kohmann
Latvia
flag msg tools
I don't know what the old components looked like, but my version arrived today and the cards look and feel alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pam Poovey
United States
detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
Having purchased it last yr, I can definitely attest to the very low quality of the cards. I had a few that were really badly marked and off center. I requested replacements, and the ones I received were not only just as bad if not worse, but a different shade of color on the backs. I requested replacements again, this time receiving an entire shrinkwrapped set of all the cards. Once again, really bad quality, tried to mix and match to come up with a playable set but couldnt.

Finally, just ended up purchasing sleeves with solid red backs to blank them all out. The cardboard tiles were solid tho. The little grey markers were ok, passable imo, but coulda used a little more to them. Luckily, the game is pretty good, so its fine I suppose.

Specifically, which cards had the low quality? The hidden role cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics?

None of my cards seem to be marked in any way.
I sleeved the hidden role cards though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on sleeving hidden roles. These are the ones you reeeeeeally don't want to get any scuffs or marks on.

I have a 1e and it looks perfect, I wouldnt mind seeing pics of the damage myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I know my copy's hidden role cards are very damage-prone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was the hidden role cards (i was referring to above). The actual weapons/clues smaller cards were all perfect. As was the cardboard tiles. But the role cards were really poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
Yes, it was the hidden role cards (i was referring to above). The actual weapons/clues smaller cards were all perfect. As was the cardboard tiles. But the role cards were really poor.

Could they perhaps be laminated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.