Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two examples of LOS in the rulebook seem contradictory.
In example 3, the arty in 5.5 CAN fire at 6.3, i.e. the unit in 6.4 doesn't block LOS. Similarly, the arty in 6.5 CAN fire at 5.3. The rule explains that LOS is only blocked if an obstacle lays "directly in the path of fire".

Example 4.4, though, says that the arty in 6.5 CANNOT fire at 5.3 (the gate), and explains that LOS is blocked if a "line drawn from center to center passes through a unit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierre,

It looks as though there is a contradiction there, made worse by the lack of any LOS rules in the main body of the Battle Board Rules. Compounding this is the fact that I did not review those rules prior to printing, so we have a conundrum.

It seems to me that the Battle Board is a semi-tactical game, likened to a miniatures game in a way. To impart super-detailed tactical LOS considerations such as tracing LOS from center to center of spaces tried to put too fine a point on the game, and actually is not supported by the RAW.

Were I to be put into that situation on my game table, I would interpret the LOS requirements very liberally and allow more units to fire than not fire. I may even go so far as to judge all LOS to be based on the physical location of the counters and blocking terrain tiles themselves, rather than any artificial constraints tied to the geometry of the board. This would provide a looser interpretation and, I think, make the game more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I have interpreted it the same way, i.e. LOS not blocked until a blocking tile is directly on the way.

I find the game a bit artificial in the way it encourages you to concentrate your attacks (because defending tiles only get to fire back at a single attacking tile), but at least it plays smoothly.
The game reminds me a bit Hold the Line, but is even simpler because you can activate all your units all the time.

Anyway, my 11yo son had a good time beating me at White Mountain, and I guess that's what counts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, perhaps it could be a bit more detailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.