Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a bit unclear on this. Do you establish the priority before the register and then carry out in that order or do you re-evaluate the priority after every move? (which can possibly change the previously known priority)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
The rules are a bit unclear on this. Do you establish the priority before the register and then carry out in that order or do you re-evaluate the priority after every move? (which can possibly change the previously known priority)

I think you more or less have to change every priority. It's quite easy to forget who was where at the start of the turn by register 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Read my question again :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty good question.

I figure out which robots go first at the time the programming cards are revealed. If A pushes B so that B is farther from the antenna than C, I still have B go first.

But I could see an argument for the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

We evaluate after each bot's move.

Here's an example where that would matter:

* | |A>| |<B
| | |C^|

*: Priority Tower
A: Move2
B: Move2
C: Move1

If you established priority at the start, it would be A, B, C
Because of A's Move, B is pushed out of priority, giving C the second move.

Here's an example of where it doesn't:

* | | |<A|<C
| |B^| |

A: Move1
B: Move1
C: Move2
Priority order in this case doesn't change.

__
Edits - something scrabbilified that I didn't want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now had the opportunity to explain priority order to at least half a dozen players across multiple play events, three of whom had never ever played (or seen) any version of roborally ever.

Everyone intuitively grasped:
The bot with the strongest signal (closest to the tower, counting orthagonaly) gets priority.
If two bots have the same signal strength, the order is determined by a 'radar sweep' from this edge of the board (point to the left half of the starting board) and then going clockwise (make the motion of a radar sweep across the board).
Explain a "same distance" situation and show which bot/bots go in what order.
If a bot gets pushed out of priority in a phase, too bad.

No-one had any issues with that explantion. It was easily understood. After two rounds the other players were calling out which bot moved next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
No-one had any issues with that explantion. It was easily understood. After two rounds the other players were calling out which bot moved next.

Hard to believe. Surely some of them must have been shouting out, "I don't get it, why can't we have little tiny numbers on the cards that we can reference for priority order, instead?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason mechanic wise to sweep starting from -90 deg rather than 0 deg (left side vs top side)? I'm asking just out of curiosity - seems to me that the sweep is rather arbitrary and doesn't benefit anyone in particular in an unfair manner, unless I'm missing something? In other words, I could go either way and be (probably) fine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Is there any reason mechanic wise to sweep starting from -90 deg rather than 0 deg (left side vs top side)? I'm asking just out of curiosity - seems to me that the sweep is rather arbitrary and doesn't benefit anyone in particular in an unfair manner, unless I'm missing something? In other words, I could go either way and be (probably) fine?

I don't think that the origin line's degree matters as long as it's consistent.

If you start with -90 degrees, then the advantage is that the left-most bot is going to go first in the case of a tie. That's consistent, though I like shooting the line right down the middle. The chaotic nature of bots moving around and jumping over the line means that sometimes the left-most bot goes first and sometimes the right-most bot goes first.

Hmm, that's probably actually a pretty good argument for -90 degrees, though I will continue to shoot down the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
The chaotic nature of bots moving around and jumping over the line means that sometimes the left-most bot goes first and sometimes the right-most bot goes first.

Umm, what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:
The chaotic nature of bots moving around and jumping over the line means that sometimes the left-most bot goes first and sometimes the right-most bot goes first.

Umm, what?

I misspoke. I apologize.

Okay, so I typically place the priority tower close to the start of the race and will have it in the middle, so somewhere between the 4th through 7th column.

Rather than start the sweep due left, I draw a line right down the middle of the starting board and sweep clockwise.

So if two equidistant robots are to the right of that line, then the robot closest to the y-axis has priority since the sweeping line hits it first. If the equidistant bots are to the left of that line, then the robot farthest from the y-axis has priority since the sweeping line circles all the way around before hitting those two.

And if the equidistant robots straddle that line, then the right-most bot has priority because the sweeping line hits it first.

Basically no matter how you choose to draw the line, there will be advantages in being in a certain direction. With a 0-degree line, advantage goes to those on the right. With a negative 90-degree line, advantage goes to those on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Precisely. I do the same thing. And, since the antenna is in the middle, I doubt it ever is going to make any substantial difference, when you begin the sweep. And, like you, I prefer to sweep from 0 deg, because that's how its written in the rules, even though not supported by the example. If I bump into other groups playing this, chances are, they will follow the same logic, as opposed to the unofficial fix for -90deg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Precisely. I do the same thing. And, since the antenna is in the middle, I doubt it ever is going to make any substantial difference, when you begin the sweep. And, like you, I prefer to sweep from 0 deg, because that's how its written in the rules, even though not supported by the example. If I bump into other groups playing this, chances are, they will follow the same logic, as opposed to the unofficial fix for -90deg.

If you want to begin the sweep facing left, it's fairly simple to make that visually obvious, by pointing the proximity marker to the left instead of straight ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.