Subject: Flaws in design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Labich
Denmark
Give
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I HATE design flaws. I hereby devote my life to the removal of flaws in gaming design.
New England is not one of the worst games.
1) The colors: The colors should have been changed a bit. It's to hard to get a good overview of whose tiles are whose.
2) Ships, barns and pilgrims: Why haven't these been painted in three different colors. This way they are easier to destinguish.
3) Marker Tokens: Ridiculous and of absolutely no use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Flaws in design
labich (#25630),
1) I agree that you have to do a lot of tracing back to starting tiles to find out who owns each part of the land.
2) I think that is mostly a cost thing. Since they don't know who will buy what you would either have to have a maximum amount of pieces per player (only 4 ships per players kinda thing) or ship enough pieces that each person would have enough to buy every ship if they wanted. They decided that there would be a common pool of pieces.
3) Agreed.

You can customize your game by buying more wooden bits and painting them. You can use colored markers to place on each tile to quickly see who owns what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A handy item for distinguishing such bits by player is something like this:

Microchips

(I don't own these, but they look useful. And I haven't played New England yet [but I do own that]. Other than these two niggling details, I'm an expert and you should trust me implicitly. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba (#25643),

2) I don't think the original poster was suggesting the bits should be color-coded to each player. Rather, there are three different types of bits and he wants them to be color-coded by type (but still in a common pool).

-42-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Labich
Denmark
Give
Unspecified
flag msg tools
DavidT (#26094),

I didn't meen they should be color coded in each players color, what I meen is, that the ships should be in one color, barns in a second, and pilgrims in a third color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.