Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I currently have one core and am considering buying the Over Hill and Under Hill saga expansion. Will that be enough for me to start using 50 card decks solo (either true solo or two-handed)?

If I won't have enough player cards would buying another core allow me to?

Thanks a lot.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeetSC2 wrote:
Hi, I currently have one core and am considering buying the Over Hill and Under Hill saga expansion. Will that be enough for me to start using 50 card decks solo (either true solo or two-handed)?

If I won't have enough player cards would buying another core allow me to?

Thanks a lot.

D

My first purchases after the core set were Over Hill and Under Hill and On the Doorstep. I recommend buying those two together. You get a terrific bang for your buck (4 heroes per box, instead of just 2 for a deluxe expansion), and the two boxes really feel like they were meant to go together, in terms of which player cards you get in each. Also, of course, you get the entire Hobbit story to play through, which is a fun set of quests.

I know some people here are all about getting multiple core sets, but as a fellow solo player, I don't think it's worth it. My collection is pretty big now, and I'm having a great time with it, and I still have only one core set.

In general, if you want to explore your deck-building possibilities, you should sign up for an account on http://ringsdb.com/. That site has a great deck creator to play around with.

Also, if you haven't seen this link before: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well? Am I?
badge
Don't Blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the motion to NOT buy another Core set.

You have better value for your money to start in with the expansions, particularly if you are looking for variety. A second Core box will give you a few more copies of a few more cards you can use...and a LOT of copies of cards that you are already maxed on PLUS copies of quests that you will likely never need.

In fact, I would argue you can make some decent 50 card decks with just a single Core box. Are they the most powerful decks out there? Of course not. Will they have a certain amount of fluff? Probably. Will they be fun to play? Heck yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb for when to start using 50 card decks:

When you are saying "what can I cut out to get down to 50" instead of "what else can I put in to get up to 50".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_WaRPed wrote:
I second the motion to NOT buy another Core set.

Agreed also. I've not needed a second core and am two cycles into the game playing primarily solo.

The main reason for a second core would be if wanting to play with more than 2 players using your own cards, more for the tokens and gandalf than anything else.

Three cores is excessive but some players go there.

Capt_WaRPed wrote:
In fact, I would argue you can make some decent 50 card decks with just a single Core box. Are they the most powerful decks out there? Of course not. Will they have a certain amount of fluff? Probably. Will they be fun to play? Heck yeah!

Also concur! My first 50 card decks were from combining two core spheres with 3 gandalf, minus some fluff. That said they were certainly not super powerful. You can of course make a power deck from the core, see HERE.

Would agree with rings DB as an excellent site. Allows you to input your collection to build exclusively from it, plus export it (and other decks players have made) to OCTGN for online play if you desire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Since you intend to pick up the two Hobbit saga expansions, I'd say start using the suggested decks from the first of those. You'll need to sub out maybe 3 or 4 cards in those (since they didn't include enough copies here either), but those give you some halfway decent multi-sphere decks to get you started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, OK no 2nd core is definitive! Would love to pick up both Hobbit saga expansions but they're difficult to get hold of at the moment. The first one has just popped up at my LGS so thought I'd grab it before it disappeared. The only place I see On the Doorstep is Amazon for twice the RRP unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG reprints everything on a regular basis, so just bide your time. Check the "Upcoming" page on FFG's site for the reprint status as needed, and don't pay a premium!

If you end up loving the game as much as the rest of us, you will find yourself acquiring cheap extra core boxes as you find them. (I got my third recently when I saw one for $15 at an LGS...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a second core used for a good price. You might also keep an eye out for somebody dumping their core set, Khazad Dum, a couple cycles, etc. That might actually be the best value.

For example, on craigslist (near my town of Santa Clara CA) somebody is dumping a bunch of their expansions for $100 including the Hobbit expansions.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tag/5943319103.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
DeetSC2 wrote:
Thanks guys, OK no 2nd core is definitive!

I can't say I've missed having more cores. Using the core Gandalf usually pulls in other cards too to complement it, making my deck just a 38-card deck. That's boring.

Quote:
The only place I see On the Doorstep is Amazon for twice the RRP unfortunately.

Damn scalpers! Try this:
http://www.bookdepository.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-Lcg/97816166...

Free shipping worldwide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should end up with a good card base to have lots of fun!
For deck building, I make 50 the maximum. That was it is more likely you will get that one card you need. Also that distilled deck brings in being able to have two decks compliment one another, bolstering each other, if you are playing two handed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
DeetSC2 wrote:
Thanks guys, OK no 2nd core is definitive!

I can't say I've missed having more cores. Using the core Gandalf usually pulls in other cards too to complement it, making my deck just a 38-card deck. That's boring.

Quote:
The only place I see On the Doorstep is Amazon for twice the RRP unfortunately.

Damn scalpers! Try this:
http://www.bookdepository.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-Lcg/97816166...

Free shipping worldwide.

I'll agree a second Core probably isn't needed right away, I found it valuable when I went to 3 and 4 player games, LEt most have the "base cards" they wanted, enough Gandalf cards for 2 players to have 3 each (or all 4 to have 2 each etc.), 4 threat dials so no alternate ways of tracking your threat level needed, and for me 2 rule books. I found having one open to the card descriptions section and the other to the sequence of play, (well now sequence of play has better versions from BGG files section) to help teach new players, and help keep my "casual" players on track. This gets us throught the quests at a reasonable pace.
FYI:
I play solo a lot but have followed a set of building rules that gives me 50 cards and a sideboard of up to 20, including any "heroes" if I want to swap. I get to tweak the deck (by no more than 1/2 the sideboard - i.e. 10 cards) at the beginning of each cycle. IT works well as I can introduce new cards when I get them in between cycles.
I hope to record and share my adventures of the various decks I run this way. Right now I'm refining my multiplayer techniques running through the Hobbit Saga quests - one had in Gimli, Thalin and Nori, played by my son, the other is Dain, Thorin and Bombur, played by me,
Both our decks are 50 cards plus 20 side board not counting treasure cards. We don't look up the quest rules until after we built our decks so it has been a challenge in some cases(we've lost a couple of times). We have up to 2 other players join us on Monday evenings to get through the quests, and their decks vary widely. Our next one is the lonely mountain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I know both of the Hobbit saga expansions are really good if you are wanting to go with dwarf decks. One of the first expansions I bought after a core set was the Black Riders expansion, and I used the deck list contained in the box to beat every quest in it, finding that it was quite powerful. Sam Gamgee, is one of the best hero cards in the game as well. You can't go wrong with Black Riders, but I would also say that there is a lot of joy in playing through the AP's as they were released, and is a good way to learn about deck building.

Here is a link to where you can find a copy of Black Riders:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/188435

Also, hit up ringsdb.com to see what kind of decks players are building, the hall of fame is a great resource for deck ideas. I don't have tons of decks published but you could check out my profile (DazeMan) if you want.

Welcome to Middle-Earth!

I saw people mention it above but Talesfromthecards.wordpress.com is a great site, the Grey Company Podcast, and Cardboard of the Rings podcast are all great resources for this game. Enjoy, and feel free to ask if you need any help with those Core Set quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks everyone. Also just picked up The Hunt for Gollum randomly so my card count is gradually creeping up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.