Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My search was simple: play with all the characters (base + expension) but without unbalancing the game.
It would seem that simply adding 2 new characters (28 cards) to each barracks is not a good solution.
So, my attempt is to keep the count of 56 cards by Barrack deck but with all characters for each movie.

After a few games, here is my solution:

Each character has 14 cards, 2 large piles of 5 cards each + 1 small pile of 3 cards + 1 powerful card.

So I decided to add all cards from the 2 new characters to each Barracks, then remove 2 cards from each big pile of each character, and 1 card of each little pile of each character.
Then I add 2 cards of the new Ripley's deck corresponding to the movie (for example 2 cards "One more chance" to the movie Alien 3).

Contents of each Barracks deck:
6 characters =84 cards
-5 cards for each character (2 from each big pile, 1 from small pile) 5*6=30 cards
+2 cards from new ripley deck
=84-30+2=56

The only exception is for the first movie, there is only one new Ripley card for the first movie.
So I only remove one card "You have your orders" (instead of 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, great addition.

but, what is the trouble with adding the new barrack cards to the older ones? is the game more easy or more hard?

(i haven't played yet with expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Zaleski
msg tools
mbmb
Just be careful which characters you remove. I played a game where I removed Bishop and Hudson, and added Drake and Gorman. With the exception of a couple cards from Ripley, Bishop had most of the requisition cards. That wasn't too bad until a hazard removed all the sargeants which meant we were unable to really buy anything that cost more than three or four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
great addition.
Thanks.

calpurnio1973 wrote:
but, what is the trouble with adding the new barrack cards to the older ones? is the game more easy or more hard?

This creates a problem of dilution, especially for the powerful cards (less chance to draw a specific card), but also for the facehuggers added in the barracks (2nd movie).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr EB Slugworth wrote:
Just be careful which characters you remove. I played a game where I removed Bishop and Hudson, and added Drake and Gorman. With the exception of a couple cards from Ripley, Bishop had most of the requisition cards. That wasn't too bad until a hazard removed all the sargeants which meant we were unable to really buy anything that cost more than three or four.
Precisely, I do not remove any sort of character cards completely from the game.
Moreover, if I compare the added cards and the ones removed, this does not vary enormously the average cost of the cards (nor the type of card) of each barracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
judograal wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
great addition.
Thanks.

calpurnio1973 wrote:

This creates a problem of dilution, especially for the powerful cards (less chance to draw a specific card), but also for the facehuggers added in the barracks (2nd movie).

It doesn't actually dilute the deck. The ratio of commons to rares etc remains the same. The only thing it would do is reduce the probability of drawing a specific card. The chance of drawing the more powerful cards however is the same because you're adding two more to the deck.

With regards to the face huggers you could just add another 1/2 to the barracks to ensure consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The problem is that it reduces synergy. More likely that cards that don't work with your strategy end up in the HQ, unless your cherry-pick similar characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
The problem is that it reduces synergy. More likely that cards that don't work with your strategy end up in the HQ, unless your cherry-pick similar characters.

That is a possibility and it could limit potential combos. However if you use all the characters from the same film it should be fine. Furthermore the new characters often have multiple classes which should help. I need more plays to find out for certain tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nalex222 wrote:
With regards to the face huggers you could just add another 1/2 to the barracks to ensure consistency.
You're right, this a an other good solution for this specific event/hazard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for posting this!

I tried using this method for my barracks in solo play and it actually works quite well. I see a large variety of different cards and it makes the common cards better/more desireable because you definitely don't see them as often. I do not seeing it unbalancing the game too much because the barracks don't end up as bloated. The only thing is that you definitely see a character's "super" card more often... but that makes it awesome! The deck-building aspect of the game has only improved with the new characters and all the new choices you have when the HQ fills up.

I personally keep my barracks themed towards the movies to aid in set-up so I really enjoyed what this variant brought! Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Interessting. We donĀ“t play agendas. So we made a deck with the good agenda cards and mix three of them in the barrack deck. If they pop up these are
cards for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.