Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those so interested, I will now be uploading any further pictures of my ongoing game to my personal gallery (with links below). The admins told me that's where session-report pictures belong, which is fair enough; I've already managed to clog the main gallery with close to seventy pictures! blush

Come to think of it, this post should probably go under "session reports", but then I just can't be bothered to wait 2 to 3 days for it to get approved. shake I'll be more prepared for something like this in the future...

Without any further ado, enjoy!

July 1916: After the capitulation of France Wilson is compelled to act by signing the Selective Service Act. Then Congress voted to declare war on Germany! Shortly thereafter, the US expeditionary army, under Pershing, sails into the Faroes Gap…

July 1916: German troops occupy Copenhagen while British troops on Jutland contemplate evacuation. North of Memel the German make their first devastating use of phosgene-gas on the eastern front, causing mass panic and desertions among Russian troops!

Late August 1916: After years of positional warfare the newfound numerical superiority of the Germans finally manages to push back the Russians, who look for refuge behind the Dvina and Memel rivers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How close is Russia to going into Civil War status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:
How close is Russia to going into Civil War status?

I'm guessing 2-to-3 more turns, unless the Germans can pull-off some subversion blitzes, but with the Americans activated the Kaiser will be diminished diplomatically. Also, the Austro-Hungarians are likely to surrender before Russia falls into chaos, shutting-down that southern front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules aren't always clear on where to put in-progress game photos... Are you going to post all of them into reports like this one? I like them, and I'm entirely too lazy to do photos of my games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Rules aren't always clear on where to put in-progress game photos...

It does seem subjective to whomever is approving them that day. Overall I'm not opposed to the system here on BBG, but I will quickly lose my patience, especially once my contributions start getting declined.

wifwendell wrote:
Are you going to post all of them into reports like this one?

I plan on posting the rest of them to this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August 1916 on the Russian Front: Despite the rain German armies capture Kaunas and reach the gates of Vilnius. Russian troops surrender in droves, and south-east of Brest-Litovsk Tsar Nicholas is seen running away into the Pripet Marshes. For the first time in months Austro-Hungarians make gains in Galacia, while on the outskirts of Bucharest a joint Hungarian/German force captures the oil-fields of Ploiesti, denying the Russians badly needed resources.

August 1916 on the French Front: The delicate neutrality-pact between France and Germany continues along their respective "common border". Meanwhile Pershing, along with an army corps, land in Cherbourg, and the Second Marine Corps lands in Le Havre!

August 1916 in Tanganyika: Australian troops, as well as a US marine division, land in Tanga. Further south, Indian colonials land in northern Mozambique. The Allies hope to finally break the deadlock that has existed in this region for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late October 1916, Belorussian/Lithuanian Front: Germans occupy Vilnius as yet more Russian troops desert or surrender en masse! In northern Finland rebels organize themselves into a militia force but are still a long way from Helsinki. In Eastern Poland patriots threaten to cut-off German supply lines.

Early November 1916, the Balkans: The Balkans fall silent as the Austro-Hungarians surrender to the Allies. In compensation Italy gets South Tyrol and Trieste, while Serbia, Albania, and Romania regain their independence. Bulgaria remains within the economic sphere of the Central Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra! Extra!

November 1916, Afrika: While snow envelops most of Europe the sun still shines in the Middle-East and Afrika. After some brief "balloon-busting" by the RAF, the Royal marines punch a hole in the Ottoman defense of the Sinai, and the Race-to-Damascus begins. Meanwhile, in eastern Afrika, Dar es Salaam is captured by Anzac and Indian colonials, while American dreadnoughts bombard the shore; only Südwestafrika remains in the Kaiser's colonial inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Year's 1917!

Early January 1917 in Europe: The ceasefire on the western front remains tense, but there is no immediate danger of a return to hostilities between Germany and France. The eastern front has remained static due to bad weather, however several divisions of storm-troopers are sent to East Prussia to break the deadlock. In the Levant the Turks are in real danger of losing their empire.

Diplomacy and Politics at the beginning of 1917: France is gradually recovering from its wounds, and Germany's morale has increased considerably. Meanwhile the Allies have been able to slightly erode Mexico's and Spain's pro-German stance.

The USA-Mexico wall... in 1917!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early spring 1917, a mixture of blizzards and sunshine...

Persian Front: The Ottomans manage to activate the Persians, which waste no time in invading Azerbaijan and besieging the "Paris of the East", Baku! The Russians rail-in several cavalry corps to mount a haphazard defense.

French Front: Despite the Franco-German truce, American bombers stationed west of Paris set-up a raid of German factories in Metz! No real damage is done, but the already fragile neutrality-pact is in peril of being broken by the Kaiser...

The Med and Africa: Italian mountain troops, aided by shore bombardment, manage to dislodge a Turkish garrison, and land south-east of Izmir. In Gaza Ottoman cavalry stands firm which results in a bloodbath during a British assault. A combination of Commonwealth troops invade the last remaining German colony in Southwest-Afrika.

Russian Front: The Germans launch a broad offensive along their eastern-front, resulting in large casualties on both sides, but also gaining ground by capturing Riga and reaching the outskirts of Minsk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's May 1917 and the sun is shinning!

The Sick Man of Europe: Rough times for the Ottomans as Islamic separatists appear in Anatolia. Yemen is conquered, and Mecca has long been under the heel of Jihadists. Meanwhile Commonwealth troops are at the gates of Jerusalem.

The Politics: US diplomatic pressure is pushing Mexico and Spain away from Germany, and both countries cancel their trade agreements with the Kaiser. Romania again cozies-up to Russia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Front: French politicians have no intentions of restarting hostilities with the Germans. The UK and USA declare war on the Netherlands, a long time trading-partner of Germany, in an attempt to reopen a second front in Europe. However their attempts at amphibious landings in the low-countries end in absolute disaster! In the end German cavalry drives the Allies back into the sea. The blockade continues...

Russian Front: The Germans maintain their slow advance eastward but suffer heavy casualties, while the Russians manage to retreat in relatively good order. Even a German ace is shot-down! The Russian airforce, despite its limited resources, has been a formidable foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
Western Front: French politicians have no intentions of restarting hostilities with the Germans. The UK and USA declare war on the Netherlands, a long time trading-partner of Germany, in an attempt to reopen a second front in Europe. However their attempts at amphibious landings in the low-countries end in absolute disaster! In the end German cavalry drives the Allies back into the sea. The blockade continues...

I notice a Dutch reserve MIL on the map. Assuming your photo is of the moment of the invasion, it shouldn't have been there - minor country reserves go on the construction chart as reinforcements, not on the map (unlike major power reserves).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
I notice a Dutch reserve MIL on the map. Assuming your photo is of the moment of the invasion, it shouldn't have been there - minor country reserves go on the construction chart as reinforcements, not on the map (unlike major power reserves).

Thanks for the clarification... that might have made difference, especially for the Anglo-American landing in the east shake

I've always found the reserve rules rather confusing; and they're spread out throughout the rulebook. The following rule makes it sound like you do put res MIL on the map:

Quote:
4.1.2 Special additions
Neutral major powers can’t have MIL units. When you go to war
your reserve MIL may be placed on the map (see 9.7) while the
remainder are added to your force pool.

However, I suppose reserve-mobilization would only happen during the German impulse, and not during the Allied declaration-of-war phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Thanks for the clarification... that might have made difference, especially for the Anglo-American landing in the east shake

I've always found the reserve rules rather confusing; and they're spread out throughout the rulebook. The following rule makes it sound like you do put res MIL on the map:

Quote:
4.1.2 Special additions
Neutral major powers can’t have MIL units. When you go to war
your reserve MIL may be placed on the map (see 9.7) while the
remainder are added to your force pool.

However, I suppose reserve-mobilization would only happen during the German impulse, and not during the Allied declaration-of-war phase.

That rule specifically refers to MAJOR POWERS and militia (reserve and otherwise).

But I'm both wrong and right! Wrong about how minor country reserves are all put on the construction circle (I was hasty there), but correct that the Dutch MIL reserve wouldn't be on the map assuming the CW and US declared war and invaded on the same impulse, because reserves are only placed during that power's impulse (i.e. CP reserves not placed during AP impulse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
CP reserves not placed during AP impulse.

Indeed... that is where I went wrong. Of course In that case I would have put the 4-2 Dutch corps in Amsterdam, which would have yielded the same result.

To be honest that naval invasion attempt was very hastily planned-out, and I'm not surprised it ended-up as a failure. At this point the western allies will likely have to wait until at least Nov/Dec 1917 before France has a change to break the neutrality-pact with a 2-to-1 garrison superiority (and even that is questionable). If not, France will have to wait until Nov/Dec 1918... surprise

Well, I guess the Anglo-Americans will concentrate on the Ottomans, and Dutch colonies. Or maybe a Balkan strike through Bulgaria?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
Indeed... that is where I went wrong.

I also just realized than any corps-sized units in Amsterdam would not have contributed to the notional strength on the eastern landing, since its ZOC would not have extended across that full-sea hexside...

Anyways, here comes some more pics!

Early Summer 1917

Blood in the Holy Lands: Commonwealth troops, along with a US marine division, capture Jerusalem and liberate Palestine. Kitchener then briefly occupied Amman, but his HQ was later destroyed by a successful Ottoman counterattack!

Bay of Bengal: Dutch cruisers sink Commonwealth convoys in the East Indies! Meanwhile Burmese patriots occupy British oilfields...

Northern, Eastern, and Balkan Fronts: In northern liberated Finland Mannerheim organizes his new headquarters. Despite crumbling internally, the Russians manage to activate Romania for a second time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late Summer 1917

Strategic Warfare: England is starting to look like a fortress, while British and American bombers strike Dutch factories!

Indian Ocean: The Royal Navy sinks Dutch raiders off India and reinforces the defenses of Singapore.

Crumbling Empire: The dying throes of the Turks as Italian troops occupy Izmir; the British and Americans are at the gates of Damascus while Arabian cavalry invest Baghdad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
September 1917

Russian Front: German armies finally managed to capture Minsk, and push forward throughout the front, while causing mass casualties and desertions amongst the Russian troops. The Tzar's days are numbered.

Bay of Biscay: Uboats sink CW convoys off the coast of France, but take a beating themselves. A tactical victory for the Kaiser, but a Strategic one for the Allies.

Coast of Denmark: Pershing leads a successful landing of marines along the lightly defended Danish coast. The cost is great however, as another landing party under Bullard is annihilated on beaches further north!

The situation is getting quite desperate for the Allies. Despite the surrender of the Austro-Hungarians and the Turks, Germany is still going strong, and is on the verge of overrunning the Russians. The costly American landing in Denmark are an attempt at diverting German troops away from the French border, and inciting the latter to re-join the war effort. It looks like a sort of cold-war could be descending upon Europe soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early November 1917

Eastern Front: Austro-Hungaria declares war on weakened Russia, and this time the former are the aggressors. Above is the furthest CP advance before the Bolshevik Revolution begins!

Revolution! Chaos descends upon Russia as new battle-lines are drawn between the whites and reds. Romania joins the British after their communication with the Tzar ends.

World Map: In Siberia and the Far East the situation is no less confusing.

Red Baron: Meanwhile, on the quiet yet tense French-front, Richtoffen makes his appearance in a bid to curtail Allied strategic bombing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
November 1917

Black Sea: A British expeditionary forces comprised of Royal Marines and Canadians lands in Constanta. Meanwhile the Ukraine is highly contested between the Reds and Whites!

Jutland Sea: American forces consolidate their position, and land land more troops, along the Danish coast.

Far East: White Russians manage to retake several resource centers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early 1918

As the snows of winter start to melt...

Soviet Advance: Russian revolutionaries manage some significant gains despite the weather. Kharkov, Tula, and Vitebsk all fall under the heel of the Soviets!

The Balkans: Austrian and Bulgarian troops push forward along the southern Carpathians, while Canada's expeditionary corps prepares for the second defense of Bucharest!

Northern Front: US marines arrive at the gates of Copenhagen while strong Anglo-American forces gather along Germany's northern border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
March 1918

Denmark: Despite snowy weather, but at the cost of heavy casualties, American troops manage to liberate Copenhagen! The Baltic will soon be a "German lake" no more...

Russian Front: Ukrainian patriots appear in Kiev and near Odessa!

And Chile as joined the Central Powers! All dressed-up and nowhere to go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late April 1918

The weather finally clears and a massive air-battle erupts north of Kiel. In the end the American fighters are destroyed and bombers from both sides make it through.

Shortly thereafter the Americans, aided by British shore bombardment, launch a massive attack on the German left-flank south of Denmark. Unfortunately the doughboys are unable to breakthrough the German lines, and the Americans are subjected to their first instance of mass-casualties in the war. Meanwhile large numbers of Allied warships stack in Copenhagen in preparation for their upcoming Baltic campaign.

The Soviets continue their advance throughout western Russia and Ukraine. Large numbers of White Russian troops desert to the Reds southeast of Kharkov.

Austro-Hungarian and German troops continue to envelope Rumanian and British units. Meanwhile Greek Mountain troops and British engineers occupy Bulgaria's Rhodope mountain range. Tensions in Serbia are once again heating up, and there is a risk of their re-joining the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early May 1918

US Marines land in the Philippines in an effort to dislodge rebels off of valuable resources. Those SOBs are dug-in like an Alabama tick!

Kazakh, Uzbek, and Turkmen cavalry appears throughout Central Asia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.