Subject: To few dice in the box! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shark
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally after years of content slicing, we reached a point were a FFG game comes with not enough content to play it propperly.

Dont believe me? Well, if you own a copy of DOOM I strongly suggest to open it and have a look at the Cyber Demon Invader-card and Event-cards granting additional attack dice.

Let me explain why FFG/Asmodee has gone to far with pressing every last Dollar out of us this time.

The game uses, much like Imperial Assault for instance, cards for the Demons. On those, there is a collor code in the lower right corner, telling you which and how many dice to use when attacking.
The game comes with 4 red and two black dice and with the latter, the problems are on.
If a Demon (not only the Cyber) uses two black dice for its attack and an Event-card or Argent power, or even both, grant additional black dice, you end up having not enough dice to make your roll.
Your only chance is to track the result of the two black dices somehow manually and reroll them untill you reach the amount needed for the attack.

One ends up a lot of times doing so and I can't shake the feeling that this is intended, to push us into the infamous and soon to be released DOOM Dice-pack.
But not this time. I will not longer bow to such methods and I appeal to all of you to stay strong as well. Only when we, the customers say no, they may eventually stop slicing content down to far.

This is no rant! I love the game. It is a fast paced tactical action Miniaturegame which is fun to play. But having not enough dice to make a roll at once is bad catering for customers and should not be rewarded!
Get creative. Make your own custom dice or use a D10/D20 to track damage. Regardless, stay away from the DOOM Dice-pack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: To few dices in the box!
While more dice would be nice just to lessen the amount of passing, I don't believe you can roll more than 2 black dice in any one attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
While more dice would be nice just to lessen the amount of passing, I don't believe you can roll more than 2 black dice in any one attack.

rr page 6:

"All figures, cards, weapon tokens, and Argent Power
tokens are limited by the number included in the game
box. All other components are unlimited."

I think it is valid to roll more than 2 black dice, if you have abilities that grant you more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just strikes me as very strange that they only give us two black dice if the intention is we can roll three.

Aside from the obvious invader attacks, I had a marine in a situation where he could've rolled three a few days ago, but we ruled it must be limited.

Hopefully the designer chimes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wiltonk wrote:
It's impossible to take this seriously if you use the word dices.

Lighten up, Francis. Clearly the guy is not a native English speaker and yes, it's entirely possible to take it seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Battleshark wrote:
Finally after years of content slicing, we reached a point were a FFG game comes with not enough content to play it propperly.

Dont believe me? Well, if you own a copy of DOOM I strongly suggest to open it and have a look at the Cyber Demon Invader-card and Event-cards granting additional attack dices.

Let me explain why FFG/Asmodee has gone to far with pressing every last Dollar out of us this time.

The game uses, much like Imperial Assault for instance, cards for the Demons. On those, there is a collor code in the lower right corner, telling you which and how many dices to use when attacking.
The game comes with 4 red and two black dices and with the latter, the problems are on.
If a Demon (not only the Cyber) uses two black dice for its attack and an Event-card or Argent power, or even both, grant additional black dice, you end up having not enough dice to make your roll.
Your only chance is to track the result of the two black dices somehow manually and reroll them untill you reach the amount needed for the attack.

One ends up a lot of times doing so and I can't shake the feeling that this is intended, to push us into the infamous and soon to be released DOOM Dice-pack.
But not this time. I will not longer bow to such methods and I appeal to all of you to stay strong as well. Only when we, the customers say no, they may eventually stop slicing content down to far.

This is no rant! I love the game. It is a fast paced tactical action Miniaturegame which is fun to play. But having not enough dice to make a roll at once is bad catering for customers and should not be rewarded!
Get creative. Make your own custom dice or use a D10/D20 to track damage. Regardless, stay away from the DOOM Dice-pack!

The issue is long know and dates back to Arkham Horror, so about ten years.

There were not enought dice to conveniently play the game in:
-Arkham Horror
-Eldritch Horror
-Battlelore 2nd edition
-X-Wing Miniatures game

To much lesser extend:
- Mansions of Madness 2
- Star Wars: Rebelion

And probably many more I have no experience with or have forgotten.

Nothing new here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Haven't played yet, but I would just reroll the extra and add it, I don't see the fuss, it's not like you'll be rolling 50 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this crops up in various games. Most of the time you'd just re-roll as needed, add them up & not worry about it.

It can be more complicated when some games provide abilities to allow players to re-roll a subset of the dice, or other similar situations where you might want to be able to see the entire pool of dice at one time before making a decision, or if there are multiple different symbols on the dice, etc.

I don't suppose it's too problematic in this game, since we're simply totalling wound markers.

Regardless, it's disappointing whenever a game has common situations/combos that require more dice than are provided. Especially considering the amount of plastic in the box for this game, a few pennies spent on a couple more dice wouldn't have hurt.

As someone already mentioned, there'll probably be a dice pack released, and there's already one announced for Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
It just strikes me as very strange that they only give us two black dice if the intention is we can roll three.

Aside from the obvious invader attacks, I had a marine in a situation where he could've rolled three a few days ago, but we ruled it must be limited.

Nowhere in the rules have I read that dice are limited. You can find an explicit ruling for dice limitations in Star Wars: Imperial Assault for instance, where you are limited to two dice of a certain color. I have not found a similar rule in Doom thus far. On the contrary, I have already posted the rule, which I believe implicitly says that dice are unlimited.

Also, in Battlelore 2nd Edt. there are only 4 dice in the box, even though the intention is clearly not that you are limited to those 4 dice. More often than not, will you have to roll more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:

Nowhere in the rules have I read that dice are limited. You can find an explicit ruling for dice limitations in Star Wars: Imperial Assault for instance, where you are limited to two dice of a certain color. I have not found a similar rule in Doom thus far. On the contrary, I have already posted the rule, which I believe implicitly says that dice are unlimited.

Also, in Battlelore 2nd Edt. there are only 4 dice in the box, even though the intention is clearly not that you are limited to those 4 dice. More often than not, will you have to roll more dice.

Okay, you've convinced me. Hopefully the designer does not chime in!

We have Alexander and that's good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I replied to this on the FFG forum as well, but bear in mind:

There are 3 cards in one Invader card group that grant +1 black die when a demon attacks the marine with the least damage. Another card group includes 3 copies of a card that grants +1 red die when a demon attacks a marine who doesn't have cover.

You need 3 Black dice for these attacks + the right card/situation:
Cyberdemon main attack and Rail Gun
Baron of Hell main attack
Cacodemon Chomp

You need 5 red dice for these attacks + the right card/situation:
Cyberdemon Rail Gun
Mancubus main attack
Baron of Hell Greater Fireball

I don't think it's a big deal at all, nothing like Battlelore 2nd Edition's 4 dice core set. Just make a mental note and reroll a die if the situation needs it. I'd be more interested in a dice pack just to reduce passing dice back and forth, but that's a minor thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
LX1986 wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:

Okay, you've convinced me. Hopefully the designer does not chime in!

We have Alexander and that's good enough for me.

no, not me. we have the rules reference for these kinds of answers, but if that's not good enough for you, feel free to write that question to FFG support. They usually answer within a couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star wars rebellion dice are limited so you don't need more than 10. It is in the rules under component limitations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
wiltonk wrote:

Lighten up, Francis. Clearly the guy is not a native English speaker and yes, it's entirely possible to take it seriously.

Exactly. I apologize to the OP on the community's behalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shark
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wiltonk wrote:
It's impossible to take this seriously if you use the word dices. Our group hasn't struggled with any issues passing dice around. My friend pauly got cheese sauce on them though- so he's been banned.

You're right. It is not fair to take someone beahaving childishly serious. So no offense taken. You're still young and apparently, have to learn to behave.

Pudsy wrote:
Regardless, it's disappointing whenever a game has common situations/combos that require more dice than are provided. Especially considering the amount of plastic in the box for this game, a few pennies spent on a couple more dice wouldn't have hurt.

Exactly. I don't get why FFG did not raise the price and included enough dice right from the release. It's not about the passing around. It's about geting all the stuff needed wehn you buy a game.

UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
kakupacal wrote:
wiltonk wrote:

Exactly. I apologize to the OP on the community's behalf.

No worries. Where there is people, there are trolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shark
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daverman wrote:
I replied to this on the FFG forum as well, but bear in mind:

There are 3 cards in one Invader card group that grant +1 black die when a demon attacks the marine with the least damage. Another card group includes 3 copies of a card that grants +1 red die when a demon attacks a marine who doesn't have cover.

You need 3 Black dice for these attacks + the right card/situation:
Cyberdemon main attack and Rail Gun
Baron of Hell main attack
Cacodemon Chomp

You need 5 red dice for these attacks + the right card/situation:
Cyberdemon Rail Gun
Mancubus main attack
Baron of Hell Greater Fireball

I don't think it's a big deal at all, nothing like Battlelore 2nd Edition's 4 dice core set. Just make a mental note and reroll a die if the situation needs it. I'd be more interested in a dice pack just to reduce passing dice back and forth, but that's a minor thing.

It's not only the cards. You have to count in the Argent Powers too. I had several games now where I ran into substituting black dice. I think that two more back dice would not have hurt FFGs margin but defenetly increased usabilty and flow of the game. From my perspective, catering for gamers and providing them with all content needed, is simply standard. Everything else is sub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

wiltonk wrote:

Whatsiz wrongs wit dices? You no likes dices? I likeses dices. I gots me lotses of dices.

I gots your dices right heres.

No, really, I have a pair of them nearby.

I take them with me where ever I goesez.

Getz yers owns.

Peace out.

I meant, Peaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyroki Taylor
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
yoyomama wrote:

wiltonk wrote:

Whatsiz wrongs wit dices? You no likes dices? I likeses dices. I gots me lotses of dices.

I gots your dices right heres.

No, really, I have a pair of them nearby.

I take them with me where ever I goesez.

Getz yers owns.

Peace out.

I meant, Peaces.

I know you're taking the piss but uh...

The plural of dice, is dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The plural of dice die, is dice.

Corrected for the Brits.
Old argument, I know, but hard to resist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Quote:
The plural of dice die, is dice.

Corrected for the Brits.
Old argument, I know, but hard to resist!

Not really an argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:

Alexander,

I know this isn't the Imperial Assault forum, but since you brought it up here, where in the Rules Reference Guide or Learn to Play say that you are limited to two dice of a certain color?

Page 8 of the RRG states that 'If players are required to roll more dice than those included in the game, they should record the current result, reroll the needed dice, and combine the results. This does not count
as a reroll.'

so where are you getting the limit from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This little dude is "Shadax", the protagonist from the NES game Solstice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleshark wrote:
Make your own custom dice or use a D10/D20 to track damage. Regardless, stay away from the DOOM Dice-pack!

Not too shabby dices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone sell the sticky stickers that I could put on existing dice to make my own? I don't have a printer that prints out sticker stickers but I'd like more dice.

Man, I wish they sold dice sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H.
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
mb
I feel like there should be more too. I honestly don't care if I have to spend a couple extra bucks to get another set simply for the convenience of not needing to passing them around. But is there even a set available? I can't find them anywhere and I don't see them on the fantasy flight website as listed accessories.

If fantasy fight makes them, I'll gladly buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
they don't sell them, and I'm beginning to feel pessimistic that they will since no expansions are announced or seemingly planned but I wish they would because it worked well with Mansions of Madness dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.