Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I have the 2nd Edition of WotR and the first expansion. A while ago I considered buying the Anniversary Release but passed on it.

Now, through some serendipity, a copy was maid available to me through the Ares Games waiting list for the list cost. Should I pull the trigger? I always regretted not picking the collector's edition up. Now I know that this will not be quite as nice (no fancy box, after all) but will it be worth it? Will it have value later or am I juts throwing $369 away when I could just play my present copy?

HELP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If you're buying it because you want a nicer board, painted pieces, and overall better components, then yes it is worth it, IMO. Only you can judge if it's worth it to you. If you're buying it because you want to flip it for a profit then probably not but you can take your chances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just as one guy's opinion, if you're getting the game to play as opposed to wanting it for a collectors' item, you shouldn't be too deterred by the "not as nice" factor. I think the fancy box for the CE was the main reason it never made it to the table for me. I found it delicate-feeling and unwieldy (although lovely), and I sold it as soon as they announced the Anniversary Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
If you're buying it because you want a nicer board, painted pieces, and overall better components, then yes it is worth it, IMO. Only you can judge if it's worth it to you. If you're buying it because you want to flip it for a profit then probably not but you can take your chances.

A clarification...my goal is not to buy this and flip it. However I periodically do game purges because I do have finite space, and I really hate it when I have to sell an expensive game for half of what I paid for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
TTM07 wrote:

A clarification...my goal is not to buy this and flip it. However I periodically do game purges because I do have finite space, and I really hate it when I have to sell an expensive game for half of what I paid for it.

I will suggest to you that there is no risk buying this game. Because of the subject matter and the limited number of copies you will always be able to get your money back. Probably double or triple. So, if you have the money and think you MIGHT want to have a copy... Buy it and defer the decision until after you receive it. Hang onto it unopened for as long as you want. If you decide after reading reviews, etc. that you don't want it, sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
I will suggest to you that there is no risk buying this game. Because of the subject matter and the limited number of copies you will always be able to get your money back.

This, if you have $400 you can tie up in the game for a while.

I'm incredibly happy to have a copy on order (thanks to my thoughtful wife) and excited at the prospect of playing with painted minis on a yooge board. I'm a very good but glacially slow painter. The investment in time to paint my copy vastly outweighs the AE cost, even knowing my paint job will be superior to the factory one. That being said, I intend to keep my 2E copy and eventually paint the minis (no, really, I swear). If and when that happens I'm certain I'll be able to sell my AE and recoup my full investment, if not more. Wins all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I always regretted not picking the collector's edition up."

I think you have your answer there. I don't care about the fancy wood box myself, so much as the components. If you care more about the fancy box (which is completely valid! we each have things that we like!) then maybe it's not a good fit for your preferences, but if you want the components to play the fully painted game (AND remember the oversized board that you get also!), then I think we are probably getting something special. Also note that the cards are being reprinted, various pieces are being updated for this. The designers seem to be putting a lot of love into it with a revised rulebook and revised cards (I may be wrong on some parts, but I got the impression that significant work was being done across many of the components). I get the feeling that it is going to be a great product.

Do you want to have the same feelings of regret all over again? (and as pointed out, you really would be able to sell it on quite easily I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
For anyone that has the collectors edition or has seen it in person, how is the paint job? And should we expect the paint job to be similar for the anniversary edition? I definitely want the anniversary edition if my number ever gets called but I think when all is said and done I would be a bit upset if it looked like the paint was blotched or caked on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roysubs wrote:
"I always regretted not picking the collector's edition up."

I think you have your answer there.

Agreed! I didn't get the collector's edition due to being low on funds, and I've always regretted it. Can't wait to get my anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vietbtran wrote:
For anyone that has the collectors edition or has seen it in person, how is the paint job? And should we expect the paint job to be similar for the anniversary edition?

What I've read in the forums is that the collector's edition paint job isn't that great, but the anniversary edition is supposed to be much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bottom line is you can buy it, if you don't like it, you can probably sell it shortly after and STILL make a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
Vietbtran wrote:
For anyone that has the collectors edition or has seen it in person, how is the paint job? And should we expect the paint job to be similar for the anniversary edition?

What I've read in the forums is that the collector's edition paint job isn't that great, but the anniversary edition is supposed to be much better.

Sample of the paint job for the AE is on Ares site:

Look pretty nice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
Vietbtran wrote:

I thought the CE paint job was just fine. I guess it depends on if you expected"motivated amateur" level (which is usually the highest level of perfection you can get, because time and profit are not an issue) and got "professional level" quality - which takes those factors into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
Hello all!

I have the 2nd Edition of WotR and the first expansion. A while ago I considered buying the Anniversary Release but passed on it.

Now, through some serendipity, a copy was maid available to me through the Ares Games waiting list for the list cost. Should I pull the trigger? I always regretted not picking the collector's edition up. Now I know that this will not be quite as nice (no fancy box, after all) but will it be worth it? Will it have value later or am I juts throwing $369 away when I could just play my present copy?

HELP!

Honestly the only thing from the 2nd edition that truly interests me is the bigger board. I don't really like the painted miniatures and the custom painting I've seen actually even seems better than the official one (aside from finding the painted figures a bit confusing, though repeated games would probably erase that confusion). Custom 3D geographic models/strongholds would also fit more nicely on the bigger board that AE brings.

Oh, that, and the "Glossary" that AE comes with (so everything's alphabetical and you don't have to look up when checking the rulebook for anything).

I don't like the fact that the tiles are bigger themselves; they are already sufficiently large and it makes the game (due to the difference in size) incompatible with LoMe, which has smaller vanilla Sméagol tokens. So it really means you're gonna have to get the LoMe limited edition for it to properly work.

So, it isn't a winner for me. Even if I would desperately get the board, I have no place to fit it currently in my home so that's for some future possibility...I wonder if someone who owns multiple copies or has gotten tired of the game would one day be willing to sell me just the board, lol.

Also, the box' storage options may be a sort of a plus. I hear they can fit sleeved cards (which has always been of immense importance for myself - they did that for the Battle of Five Armies!); not sure if they come WITH sleeves though (would be awesome, since there are Mayday custom sleeves for WoR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
... it makes the game (due to the difference in size) incompatible with LoMe, which has smaller vanilla Sméagol tokens.

LoMe has large and small Smeagol tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the ares webpage they do let you but the latter boards and new components, minus the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
... it makes the game (due to the difference in size) incompatible with LoMe, which has smaller vanilla Sméagol tokens.

LoMe has large and small Smeagol tokens.

I may be mistaken, but is it not 4 small and 2 large - the latter being for the CE edition, which already has two Smeagol tokens included in the game?

I guess they could change LoMe's packaging to include that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
I expected the AE to include 2 large Smeagol tiles just like the CE, to be compatible with LoMe. But the AE is going to use small tiles like the regular 2nd Edition.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1438759/anniversary-edition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
Diarmud wrote:
On the ares webpage they do let you but the latter boards and new components, minus the minis.

I've seriously been contemplating this. Did the old CE come with larger board? Does it make a big difference? I really dislike how all the units don't fit in all the spaces. I get why you cant at some of the smaller regions but I would really love it if the bigger board could fit all the units that i recruit there.

Does having a 20% larger board let it so pretty much all the hot spot regions can fit all the units that I recruit there? or does the same problem exist just to a lesser degree and we end up with more ocean and stuff at the bottom left of the map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:

That's...absolutely brilliant.

I hope there will be still some for sale; as I cannot quite currently (after all the purchases) afford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:

Just to be clear, this package includes only the oversized board, the hardcover rules, and the deluxe rules reference sheet. It does not include minis, dice, cards or counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King Friday wrote:
Diarmud wrote:

Just to be clear, this package includes only the oversized board, the hardcover rules, and the deluxe rules reference sheet. It does not include minis, dice, cards or counters.

And the Glossary too, I suppose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.