Subject: Six U.S. infrastructure maps (plus statistics) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever wonder which US state has the most bridges in desperate need of repair?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Iowa has the highest number of structurally deficient bridges, with about 20 percent of its bridges — more than 5,000 — classified as such.

According to the National Bridge Inventory database, this means that the bridge “has one or more structural defects that require attention.”

In Nebraska, older spans make up 60 percent of deficient bridges — 1 in 5 bridges were built in the early 1930s.

Delaware, on the other hand, has a more modern collection of bridges, yet 75 percent of the state’s structurally deficient bridges were built within the past 50 years.

Or what the electric grid looks like? How about a pipeline map, or rail travel?

Your answers can be found-- and seen-- here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/maps-of-ame...

The map showing pipelines is an interesting one to look at.
The lines extend north above the US border with Canada, and the city where I live (near) is located about where two of the three yellow lines intersect, and the others go through a small city about 3 hours east of us (but they begin north of Calgary; in Edmonton, Leduc, or way north to Fort McMurray).
The red pipeline into Seattle comes from Alaska, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
According to the US-DOT the highest % is actually Massachusetts at 52.5% or in terms of pure quantity it's Texas [9,998 of the 52,561 (19%)] followed closely by my lovely home of Pennsylvania [9,561 of the 22,660 (42.2%)].

https://www.transportation.gov/policy-initiatives/grow-ameri...

And we know a thing or two about deficient bridges around here:
Quote:
The Bridges of Pittsburgh play an important role in the city's transportation system. Without bridges, the Pittsburgh region would be a series of fragmented valleys, hillsides, river plains, and isolated communities.

A 2006 study determined that Pittsburgh has 446 bridges, and with its proximity to three major rivers and countless hills and ravines, Pittsburgh is known as "The City of Bridges". The city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are the largest owners of great bridges in the country, in proper proportion to their size, with the possible exception of the City of New York, which is built on an island and surrounded by large bodies of water.

According to a 2011 study by Transportation for America, 1,194 bridges in the Pittsburgh area—or 30.4%—were deficient, the highest proportion in the nation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool maps - feels like I am playing Sim City - and doing a pretty good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the sunny side is that when the bridges collapse, we'll all be driving less and saving gas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the bridges of Madison County? Are those in need of repair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
LOL, my brother spent a summer building bridges in Iowa. Most of them go over six foot ditches.

One issue is that Iowa has the most paved road per capita (so they say). Farmers vote for their state reps on this issue alone.

Now, as the farms coalescence into a few big big superfarms I could see the need for less farmhouses, barns and their connecting roads (and bridges), plowing them over for more crops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The U.S. is a mess. FDR helped get a lot of things started. Then Eisenhower made a huge push for Infrastructure Development after seeing Germany's Autobahn. Since then, things have been allowed to go down hill as have a lot of things. Once we go them, we didn't want to maintain - and with a lot of privatization of things, costs have skyrocketed, making it harder to improve.

Gas lines are also in a sad state of affairs. There have been numerous gas explosions because of inadequately maintained gas lines. Companies are often left to inspect things themselves instead of having government inspectors and so things are left to happen. I have a cousin that lives in San Bruno and her street had a massive explosion in 2010, with loss of life: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pge-san-bruno-pipeline...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.