5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Like Campaign for North Africa, but less insanely long? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Coleman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ever since I heard about Campaign for North Africa, I've loved the idea of it. A WW2 boardgame, played by two teams, each of which has a distinct role such as logistics or forward operations.

The main problem with it, though, is the quoted play time of 1200 hours. I mean, that's just never going to happen.

I'd love to play a game along similar lines, but which could be completed over the course of a few days.

So is there a game which fits the following:

1. Board wargame, WW2 for preference
2. Multiple players per side, each with distinct operational roles
3. Playing time in the region of 30-40 hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could perhaps achieve something like this with an Operational Combat Series game such as DAK2 or Beyond the Rhine or of course Case Blue, but your playing time parameter is going to be hard to meet unless you choose a scenario, in which case the logistics team will have less to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
A short light non wargame that scratches that itch is Captain Sonar. Two teams of 4. Each player on the team has a very different role.

Memoir '44 has a d-day variant that is a little like that. 4 players per team. one overall commander, and 3 sub commanders. But the roles are not very specialized and the game is OK but not great.

I find the idea of specialized roles really intriguing. The roles on a side have to be simultaneous to speed up play and prevent alpha gaming. Maybe different roles would play on different maps (separate tables in the room). Some roles like logistics might be boring (or maybe not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Coleman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
rubberchicken wrote:
A short light non wargame that scratches that itch is Captain Sonar. Two teams of 4. Each player on the team has a very different role.

Memoir '44 has a d-day variant that is a little like that. 4 players per team. one overall commander, and 3 sub commanders. But the roles are not very specialized and the game is OK but not great.

I find the idea of specialized roles really intriguing. The roles on a side have to be simultaneous to speed up play and prevent alpha gaming. Maybe different roles would play on different maps (separate tables in the room). Some roles like logistics might be boring (or maybe not).

It turns out some of my friends are really, really into logistics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might get more responses by posting this in the wargamers' forum:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/743498/wargames/general

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.