Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Animal, human, insect and fantasy based monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking at the monsters & nemesis from the game you can sort them into a couple of categories:

Animal like
White Lion
Screaming Antelope
Phoenix
Lion God
Nightmare Ram
Screaming God
Gryphon

Human like
Butcher
King's Man
The Hand
Watcher
Flower Knight
Manhunter
Lion Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Slenderman
First Hero
Pariah
Black Knight
Red Witches
Mountain Man

Insect like
Spidicules
Oblivion Mosquito

Other
Dragon King
Gorm
Sunstalker
Lonely Tree
Frogdog
Honeycomb Weaver

I personally prefer the animal and human like ones and will probably sell off / don't get* the others (except for Dragon King, 'cause dragon). Unfortunately that leaves me with no node 1 White Lion alternate as both Gorm and Frogdog are not up my alley.

Anyone else selecting expansions based on their 'theme'?

*Still haven't decided on my pledge, options range from only core + GC to all in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
If Phoenix is animal-like, Dragon King would be too (fire bird compared to an overgrown lizard).

I like the insects and the weird stuff. Humans are boring (Flower Knight blech). Frogdog and Honeycomb Weaver are amazing, cease your drunken antics. I didn't initially like it, but Gorm's grown on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dung Beetle is insect like!

Seriously though, this a weird way to try and categorize the monsters. Seems like you should put play value first, since you can effectively swap in any other mini you prefer if you're unhappy with what KD provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Gorm is human-like. Isn't basically the front half based on a mutant human baby? With giant human hands on the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Ramsar wrote:
Unfortunately that leaves me with no node 1 White Lion alternate as both Gorm and Frogdog are not up my alley.

Honeycomb Weaver is also node 1. And the concept art (not the sketch) looks amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Dean
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we get into all sorts of problems...the Black Knight is Percival's puppy, so shouldn't it go in the animal category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that the vast majority of monsters in KDM, regardless of appearance, have the potential for being a human being twisted out of shape. The sunstalker has hands and feet on the end of its tentacles, the lion has sorta-people hands, etc. Even the antelope is described as having very human-looking eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merethif
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat also choosing expansions based on a monster theme since aesthetic aspect of this game is rather important for me. That's why during first KS I picked up beasts rather then humanoids (so quarries rather then nemesis, but back then we didn't really know the difference). Also I like monsters which are twisted version of existing fantasy tropes (Dragon King, Spidicules, Lonely Tree) rather then original aberrations (Gorm, Sunstalker). I got DBK later on and am planning to get FK during this KS, but apart from that I'm still following my preferences: beasts over humanoids + fantasy tropes over original aberrations. Fortunately I'm not a completionist :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Your categories don't make a lot of sense.

Why is the frog dog not animal like?

I think you put some monsters in some of the cathegoies, just because you don't like them.

2. There is no monster in KD without some human parts on it.

It's part of the body horror theme of KD.

The lion has human hands, the antilope has human hands around its big mouth, the phoenix has human hands everywhere, the lion god has a human face, the nightmare ram has its head held by four arms, the screaming gods hoods are hold by human hands, the lonely trees roots are arms, the sunstalker is a giant phallus with arm hair, gorm has a baby head...........

You could categorize them into monsters that are or were actual humans, and animals. But that won't help you ether.
Why do you need them themed? Just buy the ones you like the most, one of each node.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ramsar wrote:
Looking at the monsters & nemesis from the game you can sort them into a couple of categories:

Animal like
White Lion
Screaming Antelope
Phoenix
Lion God
Nightmare Ram
Screaming God
Gryphon

Human like
Butcher
King's Man
The Hand
Watcher
Flower Knight
Manhunter
Lion Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Slenderman
First Hero
Pariah
Black Knight
Red Witches
Mountain Man

Insect like
Spidicules
Oblivion Mosquito

Other
Dragon King
Gorm
Sunstalker
Lonely Tree
Frogdog
Honeycomb Weaver

I personally prefer the animal and human like ones and will probably sell off / don't get* the others (except for Dragon King, 'cause dragon). Unfortunately that leaves me with no node 1 White Lion alternate as both Gorm and Frogdog are not up my alley.

Anyone else selecting expansions based on their 'theme'?

*Still haven't decided on my pledge, options range from only core + GC to all in

i think gorm is animal like its kinda like a messed up elephant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could we categorise them by reproductive processes?

Anything with breasts is then a mammal, parasitic things are probably insect\bacterial, things that lay eggs are birds\reptiles (ZW chromosome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.