Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing that drew me to Shadows of Brimstone is its theme. I'm a big fan of Weird West Lit, a small sub-genre of the Weird Lit genre. Most Weird Lit scholars will agree that the sub-genre was created by Robert E. Howard. His story "The Horror from the Mound" is the prototypical Weird West story, and was written in 1932.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601761h.html

Here are some other great examples of Weird Western Literature if you want to further your love and admiration for the genre. I can only imagine that it would make your love for Brimstone grow.

Edward M. Erdelac's Merkabah Rider series.
Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter
Merkabah Rider: The Mensch with no Name
Merkabah Rider: Have Glyphs Will Travel
Merkabah Rider: Once Upon a Time in the Weird West

These books are absolutely fantastic. Erdelac takes Jewish folklore and mysticism, and mixes it up with the Cthulhu mythos, with elements of the Italian Western, Native American mythology, and Japanese Chambara genres. There are cowboys using guns carved with glyphs, demons strapping Civil War era canons to their backs, beastly steers, Gods and Devils, great ancient old ones, and religious symbolism, all mixed up into one of the most damn creative things I've ever read.

If you like SoB at all, even a little bit, you need to read these books.

Joe R. Lansdale's Reverend Jebediah Mercer stories. Collected in Deadman's Road.

Joe R. Lansdale is probably the best writer (in terms of prose) working in genre literature today. He is Mark Twain mixed with some Stephen King. He works in a multitude of genres, and has done a lot to add to the Weird West canon. His stories featuring Reverend Jebediah Mercer are great. Very well written with lots of pathos and humanity. But they are also kind of mean and nasty. Lansdale constantly pushes boundaries, and he starts where most authors stop. The Deadman's Road collection is a fantastic purchase worthy of anyone who loves SoB.

Lansdale has also edited and contributed to a few WW anthologies. The WW genre is sometimes called Cowboy Punk (a take on the Cyberpunk name), and his anthology Razored Saddles contains some great stories.

He has also done some great writing in the Jonah Hex comic book series.

Stephen King's Dark Tower

“The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

I probably don't need to write too much on this one. This is my all-time favorite series. In 2016 I read it all for the 6th time. The first book, The Gunslinger, and the fifth book, The Wolves of the Calla (which is based largely on The Seven Samurai), are the most western orientated, but they entire series is simply overflowing with the kinds of things found in Shadows of Brimstone. If you haven't read these yet, do so.

Charles G. Finney's The Circus of Dr. Lao and The Ghosts of Manacle

Finney's The Circus of Dr. Lao is probably my favorite single book ever. It's not entirely a western, but it fits within the genre. Finney's books tend to be far more esoteric than most, incorporating religion, humanity, philosophy, Americana, and weirdness. He would be a good next step after reading any of the above.

A few other books to look for:

Dead Man’s Hand: An Anthology of Weird West edited by John Joseph Adams
Hawthorne: Tales of a Weirder West, by Heath Lowrance
How the West Was Weird

Haven't read this yet, but I plan to:

R.S. Belcher's Six Gun Tarot. Looks to be the start of a new series

Anyhow, hope you found this post helpful. Please make more WW suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
In other media:

Cowboys and Aliens (movie)
High Plains Invaders (Syfy original)
Jonah Hex (comic only!)
Girl Genius (web comic; not a Western but enough similar themes that the fandoms largely overlap)

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003354607/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The collection SKULL FULL OF SPURS is very good. It contains the best short story EVER written: Adam-Troy Castro's "The Magic Bullet Theory"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The 4th-6th books of the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson gets into a late western / early 1900's theme. It's not really weird west, but combined pistols, old west style shootouts mixed with magic-like powers. I enjoyed it for the somewhat similar theme to Brimstone.

The Alloy of Law
Shadows of Self
Bands of Mourning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n rode
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more recent ones.

R. S. Belcher's

The Six-gun Tarot and The Shotgun Arcana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lnazgul wrote:
Some more recent ones.

R. S. Belcher's

The Six-gun Tarot and The Shotgun Arcana

Yep - mentioned those in my original post. Just purchased them. Looking forward to checking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Kindle I'm reading 'Riders Where There are No Roads' by David Bain. I'm not finished yet but so far it's a fun, yet light, Weird West story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread!

Comics/Manga honorable mentions:

The Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (part 7) - Steel Ball Run by Hirohiko Araki
Zagor by Sergio Bonelli and Gallieno Ferri
Six-Gun Gorilla stories, by various artists

The first two in particular are my favourite weird west stories ever.

For the italian readers only there is Luca Barbieri, who wrote some weird west tales in his untranslated book Five fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brimstone comics were clearly a huge inspiration for the game too, particularly the font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:

Joe R. Lansdale's Reverend Jebediah Mercer stories. Collected in Deadman's Road.

Joe R. Lansdale is probably the best writer (in terms of prose) working in genre literature today. He is Mark Twain mixed with some Stephen King. He works in a multitude of genres, and has done a lot to add to the Weird West canon. His stories featuring Reverend Jebediah Mercer are great. Very well written with lots of pathos and humanity. But they are also kind of mean and nasty. Lansdale constantly pushes boundaries, and he starts where most authors stop. The Deadman's Road collection is a fantastic purchase worthy of anyone who loves SoB.

Lansdale has also edited and contributed to a few WW anthologies. The WW genre is sometimes called Cowboy Punk (a take on the Cyberpunk name), and his anthology Razored Saddles contains some great stories.

He has also done some great writing in the Jonah Hex comic book series.

Your post has gotten me hooked on Lansdale. I am into the third book about Rev. Mercer. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on! He's a great author. Even his mainstream stuff is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
There's going to be a Dark Tower movie. It may inspire folks to check out SoB. I bet it certainly will inspire SoB fan made material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.