Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gilman
United States
The Dalles
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My wife and I just finished the first tutorial quest for the app last night (it was a blast!) and made our first gold purchases/skill acquisitions. This brings me to my question: Do expansions normally include additional item and skills as part of the content? The selection for the base game seems a bit small, and I'd love the app to include additional items from other expansions if I bought them.

If so, what are the best expansions for extending the item/skill collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The pool of available item cards grows if you own any expansions.

The skills are tied to the class you chose. Each class (Berserker, Thief, Necromancer, Disciple, etc) never gets additional class cards (skills). But most expansions include entirely new classes, which the App accounts for.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Shadow of Nerekhall is probably your best bet, since it includes 4 new class decks, and a bunch of items, and will soon also have an additional campaign in the Road to Legends App.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
All the big box and all but one of the small box expansions (Mists of Bilehall) come with extra classes.

All of the big and small box expansions have extra items.

Hero and monster packs and Lieutenants don't have either.

You can check the Descent 2e wiki for a list of what's contained in all the boxes:

http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark_(Second_Edition)_Wiki

One thing to bear in mind is that part of what adds the most spice to a particular expansion's item lists will be the new condition added in that expansion. So for example Trollfens goes up in my estimation because I *really* like weaken as a condition and the classes and items in that expansion will typically be the only way to inflict that condition. If you want items which cause burn on the other hand, you need to get Lair of the Wyrm etc.

Speaking just in terms of classes and items though, Labyrinth of Ruin has had the biggest impact on the gear side of my games, followed by Trollfens, Lair of the Wyrm then Nerekhall (sacrilege I know). I haven't got the other small box expansions, so I can't comment on those.

**EDIT**
Oh yarbles, forgot about the incoming Nerekhall app campaign! That certainly would colour my advice as to which to buy. That said, just speaking in terms of what I get out the box my rough order still basically stands for my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested mainly in the app, then the obvious first expansion to get is Shadow of Nerekhall. Besides the new map tiles, 4 additional heroes, 4 additional classes, 4 new monsters and tons of new items you will also get a complete new campaign that comes free with the app in a few weeks or months.

The other expansions add similar stuff that you can include in your existing campaigns, but will not include new campaigns for the app (yet). So, for app-based play; Shadow of Nerekhall is almost a no-brainer. If you want more, feel free to supplement it with for instance a small-box expansion, which typically contains half of what you will get in a big box (so 2 heroes, 2 classes and about half of the items). Or go overboard and get both big box expansions (Shadow of Nerekhall and Labyrinth of Ruin) together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
aliasxneo wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I just finished the first tutorial quest for the app last night (it was a blast!) and made our first gold purchases/skill acquisitions. This brings me to my question: Do expansions normally include additional item and skills as part of the content? The selection for the base game seems a bit small, and I'd love the app to include additional items from other expansions if I bought them.

If so, what are the best expansions for extending the item/skill collection?

Yes, this is the big reason people have been recommending expansions over hero and monster pack to new app players.

The first expansion you should get is Shadows of Nerekhall. It's what people tended to recommend anyway, being the more recent of the two big box expansions.

But now that having it is going to unlock a new free campaign going with that expansion's a no brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.