Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Empire Chuck
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I think the Turn Track is confusing because it starts at Turn 0. Two questions:

1. Why is there a turn 0? It seems to me that this is really Turn (or "round") 1.

2. When does a round end? For example, the scenario "In the Clutches of the Picts" the game ends at the end of Round 8. According to the Overlord's Book, the marker on the turn track is moved during the Overlord's Recovery Phase. When does this scenario actually end? We played that it ended when the turn marker was moved to 9 during the Recovery Phase.

This means the Heroes got 9 turns (turns 0 through 8) and the Overlord only got 8 to actually do anything (turns 0 through 7). It just seems to me that putting the movement of the turn marker in the middle of the Overlord's turn, plus having a turn 0, just makes the turn sequence unnecessarily confusing. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Song
United States
California
flag msg tools
In some scenarios, an objective (energy, ritual marker, etc) is noted on the turn track, in which case the counter would start at zero.

I think the track was also intended to track enemy leader health (a dead leader would have 0 health), though many use other methods to reduce clutter on the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario ends at the end of the hero turn, on the stated round - this means that the heroes will always get the last actions (I'm guessing this is, partially, to allow for last-ditch heroic efforts). So if the heroes go first, their first activation will be on turn 0, in which only they will get to go. This gives a bit more granularity on the number of turns they will get (i.e. 1 more than the Overlord, if they go first) and thus a bit more balance flexibility for the scenario designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Empire Chuck
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
The scenario ends at the end of the hero turn, on the stated round - this means that the heroes will always get the last actions (I'm guessing this is, partially, to allow for last-ditch heroic efforts). So if the heroes go first, their first activation will be on turn 0, in which only they will get to go. This gives a bit more granularity on the number of turns they will get (i.e. 1 more than the Overlord, if they go first) and thus a bit more balance flexibility for the scenario designer.

I understand what you're saying and what the game designers are trying to do. But I still think it would have made more sense to say the scenario starts on Turn 1, and it ends after the Heroes Phase of Turn 9. with a specific note that the heroes would get 1 more turn than the OL. I think many of us get confused when we see an uneven number of turns, especially when we see a game starting on Turn 0. I had to read it multiple times to understand what they were saying, and even then I thought there was a good chance it was a typo.
Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chazaroo wrote:
This means the Heroes got 9 turns (turns 0 through 8) and the Overlord only got 8 to actually do anything (turns 0 through 7). It just seems to me that putting the movement of the turn marker in the middle of the Overlord's turn, plus having a turn 0, just makes the turn sequence unnecessarily confusing. What am I missing?

The overlord doesn't really get a turn "0", since you move the dial at the start of the overlord turn (recovery phase, when you recover your gems). This seems to be the point that's causing your confusion.

The extra turn the heroes get is their turn "0" activation - see it as the heroes getting into position before the overlord can attack or the heroes taking out a few enemies before they are "discovered".

In your example, the heroes would get turns 0 through 8 and the OL would get turns 1 through 8. Game ends after both groups activated on round 8, which is always ended on the hero activation (since the OL activation starts the next round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.