BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [POLL] Tokens vs Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dhaval Mistry
Canada
flag msg tools
Poll
What do you guys prefer as a component to randomly determine resources available or enemies to spawn, etc?
Tokens/ Chits
Standard size cards
Mini/small size cards
      38 answers
Poll created by dhavalmistry

I am currently designing a co-op game and I have the option of using tokens/chits (pulling blindly from a bag) or using cards (taking the top card) to determine random resource, enemies, etc. I want to get a general idea of what people prefer. Please vote above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends.

Edit: Yeah yeah, that could definitely use some qualifiers...

How much information is needed? If its minimal, then a standard size card is a waste of table space and production cost.

Then again, if you trying to build a game entirely from cards, using one size might reduce production costs.

Are these being placed on a board? It might be difficult to fit on a board if its a card, so better off pulling a token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of this depends on your replacement policy.

Card decks are typically not refreshed from the discard until all possible cards are drawn (maybe with some cards removed at the beginning before any are drawn).

Chits/tokens often go back into the bag after the token pull, so you don't replace as you're drawing, but you can throw everything back in afterwards.

Chit/tokens/bag also lets you vary the mix inside the bag in a way I find easier to handle than a card deck, since "shuffling" a bag of cubes is much easier than "shuffling" a deck of cards.

I note that you don't have any form of dice rolling present, as that represents an even different replacement policy.

The only one I won't vote for is "mini" cards - I find them too small most of the time and the space saved is often lost after I sleeve all of the small cards (and make them no longer fit into whatever holder was provided by the manufacturer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Van Ostrand

Connecticut
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Agree with Vanish, good questions there.

Would love a little more flavor on your game to get a sense of what might fit better. If it's a singular value getting pulled, I'd even argue that could simplified further.

Other thoughts:

-Sometimes cards do seem like overkill - often employed as a default for no reason.
-On the other hand, cards have the benefit of two sides - if both sides can contain strategic info, then they make tons of sense. If one is just serving the purpose of "hiding" info, it's less needed (but still potentially a good choice).
-I'd even think that theme could tie in to your decision. For example my co-designer made a game where it's all about planting seeds. A pouch with little items, felt right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off: enemies do not spawn; that means they are newly born and have no fighting experience; enemies appear

How random do you want it?
As others have mentioned: you cycle a deck of cards, and are the chits put back in the bag or are removed from the game?

Another option: a grid (6x6) with options and 2D6: Some events may never happen, some may occur too often. In a deck of cards the occurrence is minimal (number of cards) and can be counted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhaval Mistry
Canada
flag msg tools
The game I am working on is a post apocalyptic tile laying game. The information that will be on the tokens/cards are 3 type of resources and it will also say how many enemies "appear" (thanks for correcting Carel ). The 3 type of resources are illustrations and a number indication the amount of that type of resource. Once the token/card is used, then its discarded from the rest of the game. No other extra text will be on it (instructions or rules or events, etc.)

I hope this will give some idea of the flavor of the game and yes the game could be as big as Risk board (maybe slightly bigger) by the time the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhavalmistry wrote:
The game I am working on is a post apocalyptic tile laying game. The information that will be on the tokens/cards are 3 type of resources and it will also say how many enemies "appear" (thanks for correcting Carel ). The 3 type of resources are illustrations and a number indication the amount of that type of resource. Once the token/card is used, then its discarded from the rest of the game. No other extra text will be on it (instructions or rules or events, etc.)

I hope this will give some idea of the flavor of the game and yes the game could be as big as Risk board (maybe slightly bigger) by the time the game ends.

That sounds remarkably like a deck of cards, assuming the resources and enemies are all tied together as a single entity.

If they were all independent from each other, then that's probably 4 decks of cards, but you can probably control things better and make thematic events, possibly with if/then clauses on them if a certain condition is met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhaval Mistry
Canada
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

That sounds remarkably like a deck of cards, assuming the resources and enemies are all tied together as a single entity.

If they were all independent from each other, then that's probably 4 decks of cards, but you can probably control things better and make thematic events, possibly with if/then clauses on them if a certain condition is met.

All 3 resources are tied together so I will have a separate deck for resources and the enemies appear will have to be separate deck. I am just confused if I should use tokens or cards. If I use cards then it could be waste of space because there is nothing else on the card what will go and I personally am not a big fan of tokens pulled from a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you, the designer, confused? Your game, use what makes the most sense.

Cards are cheap, easy to lay out, can have additional things like artwork, a card title or flavor text.

Tokens make more sense if the token then represents the thing that was drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like mini cards. Harder to shuffle, can be harder to read/parse the information.

Since you are using this for "events", the standard sized cards can have cool thematic text or pictures on them. Sometimes I appreciate that.

Since you don't need to put something back in a bag for probability, and you are putting the tokens out onto a map as units or anything like that, I like the standard cards in this scenario.

Another option you didn't mention would be dice. You could have an enemy dice (maybe 1, 2, 3, and then 0 on remaining 3 sides?) and then a die for each of the other resources. Maybe you have things that modify the rolls or make you roll less or more dice. Just another option, if you don't actually have much more variability in your deck than what you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhavalmistry wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

All 3 resources are tied together so I will have a separate deck for resources and the enemies appear will have to be separate deck. I am just confused if I should use tokens or cards. If I use cards then it could be waste of space because there is nothing else on the card what will go and I personally am not a big fan of tokens pulled from a bag.

BTW your cards wouldn't need to be an enemy deck and then a resources deck. You can compress the information. This card generates 2 wood, 1 metal, and oh, by the way, there are 4 enemy attacks as well! The player either draws 1 card and gets all of the things on it, or you could even have at different times a draw that generates resources (ignore the monster symbol) and a draw that generates enemies (ignore the resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.