Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am brand new to this game. I will be playing with my kids and a couple of friends. The games with friends may get competitive, and they may eventually start building their own, but I am buying some ships to play Rebellion and Imperial factions for now. I don' think I'll play any tournaments, so mostly just for my personal enjoyment at home. Of course, I wanted Darth Vader, but it seems the Tie Advanced is kind of a bad ship? I was just wanting to get some input if you don't mind. Thanks in advance (no pun intended)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's bad, but you might not notice too much until your collection grows and you start getting more of the powerful ships and upgrade combinations.

The TIE Advanced is actually very good with it's exclusive upgrade title that comes with the Raider, but you probably will want to proxy the card instead of buying a big epic ship, at least at this stage of your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The TIE Advanced is underpowered unless you use some upgrade cards that came later with a different ship. If you're just playing casual games with people, you might not even notice that it's underpowered, but if you play in a tournament or your group starts getting pretty competitive, it will definitely start to show.

The "fix" cards that make TIE Advanced more competitive came in the Imperial Raider expansion. Specifically, you want the "TIE/x1" title and the "Advanced Targeting Computer" cards. If you put those two cards on Vader, he becomes very dangerous. Another useful card, "Accuracy Corrector", comes in the IG-2000 and Starviper expansions, and is pretty good on lower pilot skill TIE Advanced pilots.

Unless you're planning to drop a lot of money on the game all at once, I'd recommend proxying these cards instead of actually buying the Raider for them. You can find the card images and/or text online, and you can just print them out and use them. The Raider an epic ship, and I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you're interested in the larger-scale epic version of the game, and then you should probably get the Rebel Tantive IV expansion too to balance out Rebels vs. Imperials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got the disposable income to be playing X -wing, go ahead and buy the raider. It's a beautiful ship to display on a shelf even if you don't play epic, and it'll spruce your TIE-adv right up. It has 4 copies of the title included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
It's bad, but you might not notice too much until your collection grows and you start getting more of the powerful ships and upgrade combinations.

The TIE Advanced is actually very good with it's exclusive upgrade title that comes with the Raider, but you probably will want to proxy the card instead of buying a big epic ship, at least at this stage of your collection.

Very much this. Proxying the TIE Advanced x1 title card is what I would advise. Void State's squadron builder (http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build) can print out your list using the card images and save you a lot of time getting to the table and allows you to use any upgrades that you may or may not already have. The notable exceptions being things like bombs that you'll need the actual template to put on the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if you proxy the TIE/x1 and Advanced Targeting Computer (and use Vader) then the ship is pretty solid. Not top of the meta powerful, but certainly good enough. If you ever end up wanting to play in public later on you can pick them up as singles on eBay, or just switch him out for a different ship.

If you want to simulate Vader flying alongside a group of TIEs sort of like in the original movie you might try something like:

Vader + TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer, Engine Upgrade, Juke
Howlrunner + Crack Shot
Black Squadron Pilot + Crack Shot

Gives you a nice little mini-swarm with Vader as an accompanying ace. Of course you can modify this as you like, or run something totally different. Vader works well with pretty much any other aces you might choose to run too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked on Ebay and there are some copies of those cards. I didn't even think of proxying, but that is also a great idea. It's not like my kids will get mad. Ha! I do like the fact that FF keeps making certain ships relevant again in future waves. However, it may be some time before I am buying an Imperial Raider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
I looked on Ebay and there are some copies of those cards. I didn't even think of proxying, but that is also a great idea. It's not like my kids will get mad. Ha! I do like the fact that FF keeps making certain ships relevant again in future waves. However, it may be some time before I am buying an Imperial Raider.

The other thing you can do i use a squad builder to print your list.
I don't ever use physical cards anymore, just print my lists using http://xwing-builder.co.uk/.
Find it much easier than having piles of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you said you wanted to play Vader right?

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Vader in a TIE Advanced isn't bad. The other are weak without the new titles and the two new toys. But Vader, especially for the non-uber collector, is still a pretty decent pilot.

He action economy will make him a hand full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Vader in a TIE Advanced isn't bad. The other are weak without the new titles and the two new toys. But Vader, especially for the non-uber collector, is still a pretty decent pilot.

Yeah, I've just played once so far with my kid, and Vader kicked my butt! That double action business is a pain. Also, the kid loaded up on some kind of secondary weapon that allowed him to roll his attack twice. Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Vader in a Tie Advanced on his own wasn't bad, but all other pilots were not worth their points. I flew Vader a lot and won many games early on. The power creep that came in slowly edged him out. The X1 title is fantastic and brings the Tie Advanced back into the game. It also brings all the other Tie Advanced pilots into the game...as long as you aren't at tournaments. I really enjoy all the other oddball pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

He wasn't *BAD*, but that's not the same as being GOOD. Basically, good/bad mean different things to different people. To a casual player, Vader was already good enough to be usable. To a somewhat competitive player, he is only good enough with the fix cards. To a more competitive player, he's still maybe just a bit short but the meta changes all the time with new releases so it's possible that he'll start showing up more someday.

One potential reason why it's harder for pilots with "fix cards" to get back into the meta though is simply that they have fewer slots still open because some of them have already been used for the fixes which make any new card harder to fit in. Again though, this is mainly of concern to tournament players for whom simply being above average isn't good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend who took second at a tournament with a 4x Tempest squadron pilots before the Raider released. Cluster missiles on all four.

Of course, the next day he took dead last with the exact same list, so take it with a grain of salt.

The big issue was the list was/is very dice dependent. Accuracy Corrector can help with the offense, but the defense still suffers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
My friend who took second at a tournament with a 4x Tempest squadron pilots before the Raider released. Cluster missiles on all four.

Yes, but that was then. This is now. All ships/pilots/cards go up and down in viability as new things get released and the meta changes. That was a very long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
He wasn't *BAD*, but that's not the same as being GOOD. Basically, good/bad mean different things to different people.

Yes that is true...
dboeren wrote:
To a casual player, Vader was already good enough to be usable. To a somewhat competitive player, he is only good enough with the fix cards.

However I thought the opening post was
voodoochyl wrote:
So I am brand new to this game. [...] The games with friends may get competitive, [..] I don' think I'll play any tournaments, so mostly just for my personal enjoyment at home. Of course, I wanted Darth Vader, but it seems the Tie Advanced is kind of a bad ship? [...]

I know about meta change, power creep, etc. But I was answering his question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, you were speaking more towards the original post and I was speaking more towards the TIE Advanced in general but you're right that it's probably more than he needs to worry about at this point in his X-Wing career.

In part, it may be because I wish Vader *did* show up a little more often in the meta than he does currently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Good point, you were speaking more towards the original post and I was speaking more towards the TIE Advanced in general but you're right that it's probably more than he needs to worry about at this point in his X-Wing career.

In part, it may be because I wish Vader *did* show up a little more often in the meta than he does currently

Yep Honestly I love Vader too.

Hehe if he was as strong in X-Wing as he is in Rebels though he would be a one ship squad.

New Vader Sith Lord Pilot Card.
- When defending rather than rolling defensive dice add Evade results equivalent to the number of green/defensive dice you would have rolled.
- When attacking all hit and crit results are dealt face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.