Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, when I was younger, I used to make and play the yugioh and Pokemon tcgs and I think I may have liked the deck construction aspect more than playing, though playing and testing was fun.

I'd like to play again/once more a bit. Some requirements/thoughts:

- no deckbuilding. I like Dominion and others but want a different experience.

- preferably not collectables. I don't like rares and boosters and things. I suppose an lcg format ish may be better?

- I am okay with the idea of a cube or just small collection from which I can make a bunch of decks and play with friends

- luck mitigation. Pref not a lot of topdecking and die rolls or coin card flips

- prefer competitive to cooperative by far

- I want something where I can make a deck slowly and then take it to compare against a friend's. Not something that I make and break down after a session like millennium blades/Dominion.

- I would prefer the ability to make different styles of decks if possible. Control, beatdown, mill, etc

Games I have thought of or considered include Ashes, Dice Masters, android netrunner, Millennium Blades, MTG, Pokemon TCG, Yugioh TCG, and Munchkin TCG. Any thoughts on these or a superior alternative would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android Netrunner is a damn fine game and seems to fit the bill of what you're after exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is a great option. I'd also suggest checking out Arkham Horror: The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
edwards12691 wrote:
Android: Netrunner is a great option. I'd also suggest checking out Arkham Horror: The Card Game.

I would as well, though he expressed a preference for competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is probably worth a look, though you need to get some second summoners/reinforcement packs to really dive into deckbuilding.

I've heard good things about Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set, though I don't know how much building is involved per se.

Mage Wars Arena (and I expect Mage Wars Academy, though I haven't played it) might fit the bill. You aren't making a 'deck', more of a 'book' (since you have access to everything at all times), but my impression is that it supports a lot of play styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Buffetta
United States
Wenonah
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Android: Netrunner

Epic Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes and Netrunner have been the ones I have played and enjoyed the most. At some point I will play Mage Wars: Academy as I skipped on Arena with already being well invested in Summoner Wars, and I preferred the entry level take on the somewhat same idea. Even with medium sized decks, 40-45 cards, you can feel the card draw aspect in Netrunner. This is why one reason I have enjoyed Ashes so much since it is 30 card decks and you pick your first five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Ashes and Netrunner have been the ones I have played and enjoyed the most. At some point I will play Mage Wars: Academy as I skipped on Arena with already being well invested in Summoner Wars, and I preferred the entry level take on the somewhat same idea. Even with medium sized decks, 40-45 cards, you can feel the card draw aspect in Netrunner. This is why one reason I have enjoyed Ashes so much since it is 30 card decks and you pick your first five.

I would echo the Ashes and Netrunner thoughts here, as well as point out that Ashes is a more interesting thought experiment than perhaps immediately meets the eye.

There have been so many Magic: the Gathering knockoffs that it would be easy to dismiss Ashes as one of those, but the choice of your starting hand, the fact that you start with your whole "mana" pool right away, the smaller deck size, and the importance of timing in the game really separate it from the rest of the field in my opinion.

Magic feels like two giant dudes in full plate beating on each other with greatswords. Ashes feels to me more like two lithe fencing masters in plainclothes dancing around each other with rapiers. That's not to say you can't put together Red Deck Wins or a deck full of Timmy's monsters in Ashes - in fact, I would say most of the difference between the two games actually happens outside the deckbuilding part. I think there's a lot more room for subtlety in play in Ashes than in Magic, which is why I think you'll find a lot of Netrunner players that so highly of Ashes, even though I haven't seen many of them express this opinion explicitly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Codex but the entry barrier price wise can be steep if you want everything. However once you have it all it's a self contained system and you don;t need to buy anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Blue Moon Legends maybe? Everything comes in a single box.

The Summoner Wars line might also work, as you can customize your decks if you get the second summoner expansions.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy P
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for Epic

Some others to consider:

The Spoils: Decade of Deckedence: Meant to be an 8-player draft cube out of the box. Get two copies for a preconstructed playset. Fully compatible with the Spoils CCG, so further expansions would be in random packs... but the game also went OOP this week cry so aftermarket prices might tank.

Pixel Tactics and (current) ShadowFist: Sold as fixed sets. I've never played either but heard good things about both.

Adventure Time Card Wars: sold primarily in fixed duel decks with some random boosters and some fixed boosters. That said, you might need to be a fan of the source material to really appreciate the game.

OOP CCGs could work well for what you want. Yes, they're sold in random boosters, but they're often so cheap it doesn't matter. There are a lot to choose from depending on what you're looking for. Based on your description, you might look specifically at On the Edge, Wars TCG, or Hecatomb. (And, sadly, now, The Spoils.)

MTG Pauper, MTG Commander, or making your own draft cube could work too. You'll certainly have a lot of prospective opponents, more than for any other game I know. Just beware your inner collector.

Whatever you decide, I'd advise that you not be the only collector in your group of friends. See if any of these ideas appeal to them and if they'd want to go in with you on a buy-in.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.