Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Shmoe
United States
LEXINGTON
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a 10 year old and 7 year old who enjoy star wars. I was going to get one of each starter set and let them play. I then learned that the starter sets don't come with 30 cards which I believe is the number that is needed for a game. Can this be played with just the starter sets?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is playable, with just the starter sets but it mostly serves as an introduction to the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starters come with 24 cards each (and 8 dice). Standard games require 30 cards on each team.

Many get around that by acquiring booster packs (each with 5 cards and 1 die). My personal preference, however, is the singles market from various online vendors. While the randomness of boosters may get you a highly desired legendary card, by buying specific singles, you get exactly what you want in the quantity you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game in the starter set is a bit shorter, but that works for my 8 year old, who got a bit distracted toward the end of the game anyway. better to start short and see if she gets more into it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Shmoe
United States
LEXINGTON
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your responses. As long as they can play the game (even if a shorter version) using just the starter sets, i think i'll give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can play, but the welcome wears out pretty fast. Maybe will last a little longer for younger kids, but even they will get tired of playing the same 4 characters over and over. The real attraction to the game is coming up with new combos and playing with different characters. Supply is supposed to come back in about 2 weeks, but based on my local scene a lot of that is already spoken for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Martinez
United States
Carnation
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely - Especially at the age range you mentioned. If they actually retain/gain interest, judicious purchasing would include a couple of sets of commons for about 20 bucks total, a few boosters, etc. and if they really get into it, add boosters for bdays, events, etc.

Have played a lot now, and you really need to steer clear of the understandable, but very narrow view about how many cards you "need" to enjoy this (or any other, for that matter)TCG; after all, this is BGG and we need everything!

Cheers..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.