Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In adding a 5th player, it feels like another player's worth of whales should be included as a part of the expansion, yet none are added. Any ideas why this is the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
In adding a 5th player, it feels like another player's worth of whales should be included as a part of the expansion, yet none are added. Any ideas why this is the case?

Good question. The expansion adds many goodies but no extra whale tiles. I imagine a real skirmish develops as the good whales get scarce (also part of the historical elements of the game). Players might have to use the Wheelhouse to get game play priority or choose a Ships Log card (if they are being used) or choose to build more as the rules allows for more building tiles being available. Another option is to add in the White Whale promo tiles (if you have it) and opt to not remove the 4 whales with the Blue Whale in the game. Play a variety of ways and see what works best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea where to hunt down the White Whale promo? I've not been able to turn it up anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
Any idea where to hunt down the White Whale promo? I've not been able to turn it up anywhere.

The game publisher usually gives promos out at the big gaming conventions and in this case it was included in the Kickstarter. Here is a link to the rules for the tiles: https://greaterthangames.com/system/files/downloads/ShipsLog...
Sometimes they become available at the online auction sites so keep an eye out. As an alternative, you can take four of the whale tiles (2 Right whales and 2 Bowheads) and make small marks to denote each of the four promo tiles. It won't have the cool art but will work just the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is mostly to keep the whales tight. Since you're also adding some buildings with 5 players, another player can (and should) go after buildings, which will relieve some of the pressure on the whales. (And vice versa, because whales are more scarce with 5, it should encourage more people to build).

Plus, it drives home the thematic idea that there is really a finite supply, and the more aggressively people go after whales, the faster they seal their own fate.

White Whale Promo is only available directly from GTG at conventions for the time being. Historically, promos have also ended up for sale in the BGG store. But I don't have any info about if/when that might happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nat:
Thanks! I'm trying to get this to the table with my family and I appreciate your hard work on it. You can thank Nate C. once he gets back to the States -- he introduced me to the game and I think you were at a game night he dragged me along to a few months back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.