Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: List of Secret Objectives? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't find the secret objectives documented anywhere. I don't own the game (only played it once) but it seems like a player who gets a betrayer card would be harder to uncover if he knew what other objectives he could be faking. I assume you can't simply ask a player what their objective is (right?), but some are probably easier to fake than others. For instance, there's one for having four or more survivors (name escapes me), which is a good one to fake if you think you can manipulate other players into helping you amass them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's true in a lot of games -- it's good for the players to know as much about the possibilities of the game as they can. New players will be at a disadvantage if they don't know as much about the game as the other players.

I've considered printing out a list of all the possible secret objectives and letting players review them before each game. But most of the time, I find that people just want to jump in and discover the game themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steveg700 wrote:
Can't find the secret objectives documented anywhere. I don't own the game (only played it once) but it seems like a player who gets a betrayer card would be harder to uncover if he knew what other objectives he could be faking. I assume you can't simply ask a player what their objective is (right?), but some are probably easier to fake than others. For instance, there's one for having four or more survivors (name escapes me), which is a good one to fake if you think you can manipulate other players into helping you amass them.

Most players that I play with regularly wouldn't want to know the other objectives. It makes the game much more fun and tense to guess at people's motivations rather than thinking, "Oh, he needs three fuel cards because he has objective X."

I find that if a player is super-helpful in Round 1 and gradually backs off from contributing, that is a much better indication of being a Betrayer than knowing a few of the objectives and what she might be playing for. Also, several Betrayal! objectives and normal objectives overlap, certainly intentionally, so you might focus on the wrong person for the "right" reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.