Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We've had one opportunity to sit down with 5 people and play this game. We chose the racing variant of the game to play.

The bits to the game are okay. I liked the aged, crumbling texture of the round bits. Overall though, the colors were average and the parts were...well...plastic. That never bothered me before, but I've played so many games with either good plastic bits (Samurai) or wooden bits that I really thought these felt cheap. The cards are not very sturdy, and if you can manage to get repeated plays out of this game, they will wear out rather quickly.

On to the game. The players consisted of a group of system admins, software testers and technical editors, and all of us are avid gamers. We've read many sets of rules and played many types of games, so I'm sad to report that the rules to the racing game were so poorly written and confusing that we gave up after about 20 minutes of trying to figure it out. The only other game we've had that experience with is Conquest of Pangea. We really wanted to play this, so we thought we'd try the bidding game. This time we had one person read the rules to themselves so they could try and explain it to the rest of us. Not much luck there either. After about 10 minutes they put the rules back in the box and declared the game incomprehensible and we all gave up and played Taluva.

So, to get back to the review portion of this, the instructions for the games don't do a very good job of identifying what pieces or board areas they are talking about. The text is so dense and monotonous that I'm not feeling good about trying the other games, but I will. Just because two of the five were seemingly unplayable doesn't mean that all of them are. I'm not sure I'll be able to convince our game group to play it again though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gregory
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, so this a session report of two aborted attempts to play two of the games. You say that the rules for the games don't explain what the pieces or board areas are. I haven't seen the game, but having read much about it I'm surprised that this is the case. Is it possible that there's a separate sheet that provides this key information that your group overlooked?

Secondly, is it normal for a game to be brought to the table when no-one has spent the time beforehand to figure out the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my 2 cents after playing 2 of the games. The first two games included are pretty simple so it will be almost impossible NOT to understand them although there is a misprint right at the beginning of the rules for the first game (these are different games than you tried to play) so you may want to give these a whirl.

The cards are as the poster says, too small and WAY TOO THIN, when will people get the message, charge an extra bluddy dollar and give us REAL cards!

As for the games see my comments under the entry, the first 2 are probably not the strongest but I need to play the others before I can say for sure.

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Paul,

I don't know how it works in other places, but it is a fairly common occurence in my game night to open a box and figure out the rules right then and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy today and have been reading the rules. I agree that the rules for Chariots of Stonehenge could have been better written, but, after reading it carefully a couple times, I think I got it. Auction Blocks is fairly straightforward, IMHO.

You said you were confused by the names of the board areas. I'm not sure if you saw Pages 4 and 5 of the rulebook where they define most of the terms used in the rules. I would hazard to guess that, most likely, that was the source of your confusion.

I am looking forward to playing the game. Looks fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the info rishi, and welcome to bgg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
I don't know how it works in other places, but it is a fairly common occurence in my game night to open a box and figure out the rules right then and there.

Nope. Person who buys the game opens it themselves beforehand, and plays a solo game or two to figure everything out (and, if needed, asks questions on the geek to figure out any issues). That usually much makes the game play much smoother and the evening more fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.