Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Have you thought about the fact that a good percentage of all users here aren't English native speakers? That might explain a lot!

Interestingly, some grammar mistakes are made more often by native speakers (who perhaps received shoddy formal instruction about the grammar of their own language and never consciously thought much about its grammar) than by non-native speakers (who often formally consciously learned and thought about the grammar)!

E.g. surprisingly many native English speakers erroneously say things like "He visited my wife and I" (even though they know to say "He visited me", and would not say "He visited I").

But (as far as I've noticed) significantly fewer non-native English speakers make that particular mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
rubberbands wrote:
I generally don't consider myself highly pedantic, but I am always puzzled how identical grammar problems are repeated, be it on BGG, board gaming forums or general internet forums and can never figure out why.

Have you thought about the fact that a good percentage of all users here aren't English native speakers? That might explain a lot!
While that sounds like a good answer, I've seen far to many native speakers make these errors to be convinced that that's what is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Westerfield

Texas
msg tools
mb
I hate these word crimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
PzVIE wrote:
rubberbands wrote:
I generally don't consider myself highly pedantic, but I am always puzzled how identical grammar problems are repeated, be it on BGG, board gaming forums or general internet forums and can never figure out why.

Nah - a much better explanation (because I find that those for whom English is not native are rather good at spelling and punctuation, having actually been taught) is that native English speakers lack a proper education in their own language. The logic appears to be thus: we all speak English already, why would we need to be taught about it? The flaws are immediately obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
people using long meandering sentences by utilizing commas in three or four different ways bug me more than people who make irritating-but-easy-to-understand speeeling errors.

Clarity should be the goal of communication moreso than perfection of form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mb
German here.
It really hurts my eyes when I see people write "should/could/would of".
Does it even make sense at all.
To me it looks like total bullshit.

When I learned english (and other languages) I found it most important to get the grammar right.
Then I must admit that I probably do a lot of "its and it's" wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I just got some more amusing anecdotal evidence for my assertion that native speakers make this mistake more often than non-native speakers:

I asked my (Polish and non-native English speaker) wife to write the word "should've" in a sentence like "I should've done that", and she correctly wrote "'ve" instead of "of" for the contraction of "have".

I told her that a lot of native English speakers write "of". She literally gasped in surprise with wide eyes, and said in an amazed voice "WHAT? WHY? That makes no sense!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
I just got some more amusing anecdotal evidence for my assertion that native speakers make this mistake more often than non-native speakers:

I asked my (Polish and non-native English speaker) wife to write the word "should've" in a sentence like "I should've done that", and she correctly wrote "'ve" instead of "of" for the contraction of "have".

I told her that a lot of native English speakers write "of". She literally gasped in surprise with wide eyes, and said in an amazed voice "WHAT? WHY? That makes no sense!"

Yep, that's exactly what I meant about "for all intensive purposes" above - the people who say that, instead of "for all intents and purposes" are simply not thinking at all about what they are trying to say, whereas those for whom English is foreign do think very precisely about what they are saying. We need more of the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria LoCastro
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a copy editor, I have accepted that trying to proofread the internet is a fool's errand. At minimum you will run afoul of Muphry's Law which states "If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written." More likely you will slowly drive yourself insane.

You also run into places where a new way of writing something supplants what came before, which is then labeled archaic. English is a living language, and it changes.

The quote I try to remember every time someone uses the word "octopi" is from James Nicoll:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy ZJ
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

You forgot some periods.

Well done, have a GG tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Seems to make sense, they sound very similar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, now, let's have some empathy for the not-insignificant quantity of Internet posts made by people who attended American public schools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
rubberbands wrote:

Nah - a much better explanation (because I find that those for whom English is not native are rather good at spelling and punctuation, having actually been taught) is that native English speakers lack a proper education in their own language. The logic appears to be thus: we all speak English already, why would we need to be taught about it? The flaws are immediately obvious.

An even better explanation is that it just doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
russ wrote:

Yep, that's exactly what I meant about "for all intensive purposes" above - the people who say that, instead of "for all intents and purposes" are simply not thinking at all about what they are trying to say, whereas those for whom English is foreign do think very precisely about what they are saying. We need more of the latter.

The real question is how many people think the phrase is "for all in tents, and porpoises."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
russ wrote:

The real question is how many people think the phrase is "for all in tents, and porpoises."

So long as it is done per se, it is a perfectly cromulent phrase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.