Anachrony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Evacuation Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I played this last night on Tabletopia, and we found this section a bit unclear in the final rulebook. So, my husband had already fulfilled his evac conditions and immediately placed his only powered exosuit and Admin on the Evac Action to secure himself not earning -3 VP. I assume at this point he can no longer take any Actions on his Player Board or the Main Board (assuming he had another exosuit and Awake Worker ready to go) for the remainder of the game? This is to say that Evacuation is meant to be the final Action a player makes in the game.

My other question was regarding Evacuation and game end. In the Era that all 6 of our Capital Actions became Unavailable, I had used my last powered up exosuit to build a Superproject, rather than Evacuate (even though I fulfilled my Evac requirement back in the 4th Era). At this point, the rulebook states the game is over (6th Era, but the Capital Action tiles are all flipped to Unavailable). Because I did not Evacuate before the game ended, does this mean I've essentially forfeited and am not in the running to become leader of the new World Council? Intuitively, this is what makes sense to be the case. Am I instead sort of obligated to have used my last exosuit to Evacuate, instead of using the available Construct hex? On the other hand, that would make this Hex still available the next Era so the game doesn't meet the End conditions, which again leads me to my first question: if someone has Evacuated, can they still take Actions?

Sorry for the long, maybe incomprehensible post, but I look forward to all of your responses. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EPratt wrote:
I assume at this point he can no longer take any Actions on his Player Board or the Main Board (assuming he had another exosuit and Awake Worker ready to go) for the remainder of the game? This is to say that Evacuation is meant to be the final Action a player makes in the game.

No. There is nothing saying evacuation should be the last action. You can take it anytime between impact and the end of the game.

Quote:
Because I did not Evacuate before the game ended, does this mean I've essentially forfeited and am not in the running to become leader of the new World Council? Intuitively, this is what makes sense to be the case.
No, evacuation is not mandatory for winning, it just scores a lot of points. But if you can score more points while not sparing a single exosuit/worker for evacuation (remember, evac does not have to be your last action), then hey, more power for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the implication is that Evacuaction isn't "everyone in your city has left the planet, you're done" but that "we've started to leave," and those that haven't started before Game End ultimately will at some point in time later on. I find I remember rules better if I ground myself in the theme and understand WHY I'm doing an action, so this is very helpful. Thank you.

Alas, even without Evacuating I still lost, 28 to 35. Hopefully not terrible for first-timers...? Can't wait for the physical copy to get here already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as for grounding in the theme: the evacuation isn't YOUR city leaving, it's you mounting an expedition to the capital to convince some of the good folks there to come to your safe, protected city. You don't *have* to save any of them, it just helps every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. Wow, I have no idea how after so many times watching the KS video and reading the intro, I still missed those details about evacuating people to one's city.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite funny that I'm Italian and as such my main language is not english, yet I'm not finding any of the "unclear" rules many other English-speaking users are laugh

I find this rulebook very well written and hardly prone to misinterpretations or doubts, indeed.
Yet, I only played a couple of quick matches on Tabletopia; maybe I'll be ripe with doubts after I get the game and actually play it thoroughly laughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah good - came to ask this question - I picked up 3 of the 5 end game awards, and a bunch of extra points for super projects, at the detriment of never evacuating, and won by several points beyond others who'd picked up a good whack of points evacuating.

I was worried that evacuation was mandatory - but clearly not! Does seem to pay off quite a few points though, so not sure I'll get away with a non-evacuating strategy too many more times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the variable part of evac reward that gives you the most VPs.
For example, if you play Path of Harmony B-side and you go for the "most building spots used" endgame condition, you'd better get a lot of Administrators, because for every building-administrator pair, you get +3VP when you evacuate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Macauley
msg tools
mb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Ah good - came to ask this question - I picked up 3 of the 5 end game awards, and a bunch of extra points for super projects, at the detriment of never evacuating, and won by several points beyond others who'd picked up a good whack of points evacuating.

I was worried that evacuation was mandatory - but clearly not! Does seem to pay off quite a few points though, so not sure I'll get away with a non-evacuating strategy too many more times...

Yeah, evacuating isn't actually a requirement, and sometimes it's worth foregoing it if you can score more points otherwise. If you've been focused on your evac conditions, though, you could potentially score big points by taking the evacuation action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls