Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my problem with theremin.

We regularly have guests at our live shows, and one of our recurring guys is a theremin player. I know this is stupid, but you know what - it always sounds like a theremin. There is so little you can do to get it to not sound like the same instrument. It's not like a guitar where you can pluck strum or pick as well as tons of effects that can be applied. Effects on a theremin really do not work. Tonally, stylistically, its just so limiting to have a monophonic instrument where every note is a glissando. Far more than even a trombone.

Its great for a song or two, but its so strongly self defining that its a drawback.

The other thing that annoys me when playing live is that there's an invisible sphere around the instrument and anyone nearing it suddenly detunes it.

On the other hand, playing theremin is so oddly easy after an hour or so that anyone with any musical training can easily play some really lyrical stuff without much effort.

We use one often, but its just so... theremin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a really interesting documentary made about theremins, and the dude who invented it, put out a few years back. It's well worth watching. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108323/

One of my favorite bands, Man or Astroman?, would typically use a theremin at least once during their live performances. The dude would even set it on fire using lighter fluid while playing. Fun stuff. arrrh

Almost forgot... cool video, Legomancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Here's my problem with theremin.

You just have not heard the right person play one... if you only listen to Clara Rockmore or rock acts that incorporate them in a few tunes for effect I am sure you might feel that way. I've seen Theremin only ensembles, art rock, noise and Free Jazz acts with a Theremin player and it was not at all like you describe - at least as a generalization because they often use it as an input to another device like a digital effects processor or a modular synth... one act I saw had a woman playing an optical Theremin using visible lasers in the air like plucked strings, output to effects processor and eight different amplifiers that cycled - it sounded like a koto trapped in a tornado - accompanied by acoustic bass and an ecstatic drummer... it was amazing.

Check out the Lothars MP3 player on this page (saw this guys a year ago, often three Theremin and a drummer):

http://www.wobblymusic.com/lothars/LotharsTunes.php

I want one of these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
because they often use it as an input to another device like a digital effects processor or a modular synth...

Those are MIDI theremin. That's a different technology. It's like the difference between synthesizers and pianos. Same concept, different actualization of the sound. We use a MIDI theremin on a few of our recordings because they are far more versatile. I'm just talking about a standard theremin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Those are MIDI theremin.

No, not always, can be pure analog... into a modular synth like pictured above... or an analog Theremin into a digital effects processor, like my friend did with one of those BOSS pedal pad processors with a Wah pedal, delay, distortion, etc.

Yes, I am sure the laser one was MIDI. Probably the only example that I've seen out of many.

Check out the Lothars. Listen, but also check out the pictures, those are your standard analog Bob Moog Theremins that you always see... not MIDI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
T.O.N.T.O. the best sidekick ever:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
T.O.N.T.O. the best sidekick ever:

wow...

http://www.synthmuseum.com/tonto/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend TONTO's Expanding Headband.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fpfuxql5ld6e

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Better,Star Trek, Theremin, Moog, and Wii!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better... the Reactable:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.