Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not yet have my copy of this game yet (it is currently in the hands of UPS), but upon reading through the rules I did come up with a question about the Clean-Up portion of the Closing Cermonies phase.

It seems unlikely that a player would decline to produce an event, since that means no cash coming in on this turn, but the rules do state that all actions are voluntary, so it is theoretically possible that a player could opt out of producing an event. If this happens, does that player still lose an asset this turn if they have produced events in prior turns? The rules do state that the player discards 1 of the asset tokens "...used in their latest event..." (my emphasis).

For example, I produce an event on turn 1, but decline to do so in turn 2, for whatever reason (temporary insanity). At the end of turn 2, do I lose an asset of a type that was used in the turn 1 event?

My instincts say no, but I figure it couldn't hurt to clarify, just in case.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a player in our group that in both games he played, only ever produced 2 events.

Unless you produce an event, you do not lose a tile and you also do not make money.

However, you will most likely be in last place and gain a free tile from the person who won the podium that round.

So you do the math: 3 rounds without producing events + last place for 4 rounds in a row = 4 free tiles. Not to mention that if they intentionally put a set of tiles up for auction that no one wants they will get tiles on the cheap. In addition, one of those rounds they will be the last auctioneer, and can had pick a set of tiles; perhaps a set with 1 or more bonus tiles, with any luck of course.

I know that this isn't necessarily a winning strategy, but it sure didn't seem all that bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this the other day and one player deliberately put on poor quality shows or none at all. He got enough money to fund purchases at the beginning of each turn (and double purchases a few times), but also got to steal a piece every turn.

On the last turn he produced one of the *huge* shows with a full set of tiles and all the bonuses except the +3 leader bonuses. He won by a ten point jump. So while not performing may not be a winning strategy, performing occasional and poor quality shows is... at least unless someone is competing for last with them I guess.

I'm not sure if this is "unbeatable" or anything, but it is annoying. On a turn you get three tiles. Perform and you only get to keep two... lead and perform and you only get to keep one. However, sandbag and you get to keep two and draw one or even keep three and draw one. As long as you make ~15 coins on average (easy to do with a few bonuses and a poor show) you can even exploit the opportunities to double builds easily and will have tiles the other players need. Trading with "poor last place" is easy to convince people to do.

One way to throw a serious wrench in the works would be to buy the show they were planning to perform, but that would cost one of the precious purchases to do... I'm not sure who you convince to fall on their sword like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tazzmann wrote:
I do not yet have my copy of this game yet (it is currently in the hands of UPS), but upon reading through the rules I did come up with a question about the Clean-Up portion of the Closing Cermonies phase.

It seems unlikely that a player would decline to produce an event, since that means no cash coming in on this turn, but the rules do state that all actions are voluntary, so it is theoretically possible that a player could opt out of producing an event. If this happens, does that player still lose an asset this turn if they have produced events in prior turns? The rules do state that the player discards 1 of the asset tokens "...used in their latest event..." (my emphasis).

For example, I produce an event on turn 1, but decline to do so in turn 2, for whatever reason (temporary insanity). At the end of turn 2, do I lose an asset of a type that was used in the turn 1 event?

My instincts say no, but I figure it couldn't hurt to clarify, just in case.

Thanks in advance!

Your instincts are correct. The answer is no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:

Your instincts are correct. The answer is no.

Thanks for the official response, Eric! And thanks to everyone else for your input and anecdotes as well!

I received my copy yesterday, and I am looking forward to a 2-player test run tonight to get the rules down, and a "real" 4-player game tomorrow! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.