Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It had better be a really nice pencil...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
Image is from Turandot. It looks just like me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:List price is $22.95?!
molnar (#25708),

All of Rio Grande's prices have recently risen to make up for the declining value of the dollar against the Euro. This would have been priced at 19.95 before this price increase. Jay hopes this is just temporary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Baumer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the standard price for Alea's "small box" games (16 Euro).

Here's the first preview (in German). An no it ain't no special pencil... ???

ttp://www.spielbox.de/spielarchiv/sbmessen/spiel041.php4?vlg=ale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang! It was just becoming worth paying for the postage to Oz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
ccomeaux (#25709),

Alright, alright, $25 then! But that's my last offer!

(is anyone here not going to pay the extra three bucks?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Campbell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
davek (#25764),

Well, yes. I am concerned that the tension in the relationship between the trader and captain has been removed from the card game version. Seems to me that there isn't very much game left after removing those elements. Designer is still AS, however, so I will certainly withhold judgment until I've tried it.

jimc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimc (#25778),

Definitely reserve judgement. They have added a different element by turning your buildings into money, which means you will have to make choices between building a lot of little buildings, or a few big buildings.

Therefore, theme aside, consider this a completely new game, and don't try to compare to PR. Actually, it looks a lot closer to Citadels.

Hopefully, there will be no one dominant strategy.

Jon

P.S. When do I get to start making new buildings? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shade_Jon (#25784),

never , hopefully

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If Mik Smellov's preview is any indication, then there looks to be a strategy that looks pretty abusive already. One of the large buildings gives 2 additional victory points per productin building. Since there is no limit on the number of porduction buildings and there are a LOT of production buildings in the deck, this could account for as many as 22 additional VP's.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if Mik is mis-remembering the cards. I would think that 2 points for each DIFFERENT production building would be about right for this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandallPeek (#29092),

Hey Randall....

If you are talking about the recent review here on the geek, that was from me, not Mik S(m)ellov.

As for the wording on the card....I assure you I have it correct (at least the German vesrion of the game), because I checked three times after getting my assed kicked three times by my opponents using the Guild Hall strategy. It seems particularly devastating in the 2 player game since there are still 8 cost-1 Indigo factories in the game.

My girlfriend suggested using the 2 points per DIFFERENT production building as a variant. I thought about using 3 points per 2 buildings (any type) as a variant. I plan to try one of these during my next two player game.

Mike Bialecki
bsw: DrDNA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, I had just got back from the Brett & Board website when I wrote that article, and that was where I got a listing of every card in the deck. I wonder how they let this obviously broken building get past playtesting? It seems abusive to say the least, and if this is what we have to look forward to, then I don't think I will be looking forward to it, after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the simple answer to the Zunfthalle strategy is to build a Kappelle and toss both of the Zunfthalles under it as quickly as possible. Case closed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandallPeek (#29133),

I've played all of five games now on BSW, so I am now an expert :-). In three of those games, I played the Zunfthalle, but only won one of those.

In one of the other games, I was trying desperately to find a Zunfthalle and had 9 production buildings, I think (one of the non-production buildings was Schmeide). If I had found it, I would have won, but not by a lot.

Consequently, I don't think that it's overpowered.
laugh

Love the game and look forward to getting an English copy so my local mitspielers will spiel!

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brink
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think the Zunfthalle is abusive, either. There really isn't any use for more than 2 production buildings in this game. Maybe with the right purple buildings you could use 3, and with the perfect combination 4. But if you build nothing but Zunfthalle and 11 production buildings, everyone else is going to be getting a lot more cards and building a lot more efficiently, because they have buildings that actually do things.

I just played in a game with someone using the Zunfthalle strategy; Zunfthalle, Schmeide, and all production buildings. They did not win, because they just weren't getting enough cards in the end game. It looks like a decent strategy, esp. if you don't get any good purple buildings to build around, but it's definitely not unbeatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.