Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: How closely does this match the Lucasarts PC game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rebellion/Supremacy is one of my favorite 4x games from the 90s. How much do the mechanics of this match up with the PC version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean... not one bit.

And completely.

Like, you must know micromanaging 200 planets and hundreds of ships is outside the scope of a boardgame like this. So your question is weird. It's been discussed though if you search.

But you search for a hidden base, send people on missons, build ships.

Let's say they are both trying to tell the exact same story in basically the same way but they both utilize strengths of their medium.

One of my fav videogames too, and one of my fav new boardgames. You'll probably love it.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Acrux wrote:
Rebellion/Supremacy is one of my favorite 4x games from the 90s. How much do the mechanics of this match up with the PC version?

I've last played the PC game more than 10 years ago, so perhaps I'm missing a few thing, but the boardgame is not much like the PC game beside sharing the name and general concept.

In fact, I'm constantly baffle by lots of review or comment that state the boardgame is a direct adaptation of the PC game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the base concept of the PC game showing through a bit, but for the most part, there is little that is the same.

PC game had a ton of leaders, and you could assign them missions as you saw fit. There was a lot of exploration elements along with building and developing resources. While the Imps did start with a stronger foothold in the PC game, it was a minor advantage and the rebels could easily gain parity quickly. There was a hidden base mechanic involved, and a defined set of victory conditions. It was not a timed game and continue for a long time depending on the players/AI difficulty. Research into new tech was a fairly important aspect of the game also.

The board game has far fewer leaders, and actions are restricted by the cards in your hands. There is far less micro-management with resource and troop development. Research plays a very minor part in this game, and only for the Imps. The Imps have a dominate military force in this game and except for a rare game, they will maintain that dominance for the entirety of the game. The hidden base mechanic is very important in this game, more so than in the PC game I'd say. The game is timed with a very well defined victory condition, but one that is a bit different. Combat, while important, is less common and typically smaller skirmishes. Combat is also less strategic. Exploration plays a much smaller role, and really only applies to one side. There is no planetary development.

The PC game was Micro + Macro management, where board game is more of the macro scale of management.

They both have the same goal. Control the war between the Rebels and the Empire from a point starting just before Ep4. But they do so in very different ways. There are some similarities, and you can see how the PC game was a base inspiration for the board game, but they are very different entities.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave pretty much summed it up. I do believe though that the designers in an interview somewhere did say the PC game was an inspiration of sorts for the board game. I'm really looking forward to getting this one on the table. I've had it since May but it's just not happened yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
I've had it since May but it's just not happened yet.

Oh my. Were I not that far away from you, I'd emergency travel to your location and emergency play that great game with you.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
More than you would expect but less than you would think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's about as close as you might get in a board game with the scope presented by this one. Sure, you could add more scope, but turn a 3-4 hour game into a days-long experience.

Whenever I play this game, I can definitely see the inspiration the PC game had on it, despite the implementation differences that are present.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I think the question you are asking is "I am a big fan of the PC game, would I like this game?"

If that is the case, then I think the answer is overwhelmingly yes. I played the PC game a ton in my youth and the boardgame is in my top 5 of all time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I saw a comment somewhere by the original designer of the PC game and said there was no collaboration regarding the PC game and that the title of the board game is purely coincidental. The designers of the Board Game did say they took inspiration from the PC game but technically this is not a "based on a game" board game like Star Craft.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
I saw a comment somewhere by the original designer of the PC game and said there was no collaboration regarding the PC game and that the title of the board game is purely coincidental.
While I believe that there was no collaboration, I highly doubt the title of the game was purely coincidental. The PC game designer, though, would not be the one to ask about the name of the board game, especially if there was no collaboration. Maybe to him it seemed that way, but I suspect there was some intentional choice in that title.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shir E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
Dave pretty much summed it up. I do believe though that the designers in an interview somewhere did say the PC game was an inspiration of sorts for the board game. I'm really looking forward to getting this one on the table. I've had it since May but it's just not happened yet.


You have to try it! find a meetup or something near you!
force a friend to try it, do something!
(possibly have them watch Rouge 1, and right after tell them there is a game that goes right with it)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Headram
msg tools
As noted by others it's naturally slimmed down. Some differences:

1. No randomized force sensitive characters on each side that could be trained to become jedi. In the original I would often have Luke leading a strike team of 3 or even 5 jedi. Part of the fun of each game was seeing who was secretly force sensitive.

2. Planet based death star shield generators aren't in. Would be nice to have in an expansion of the board game as a way to make the DS into a real fortress.

3. Both sides could run missions to destroy shields, infrastructure, capture, etc. Here the rebels hit ship production or make revolts and the imperials run capture missions.

4. Special ops units that could accompany characters on missions are out . Might be translatable with cards in an expansion. Maybe not.

5. Characters for the most part can't be killed. In the original everyone but iconic characters could die (or Chewie)

6. Victory conditions changed. Just get your popularlity up (rebels) or destroy rebel base (empire). In the original both sides had to capture two key figures and capture the rebel base / Coruscant.

7. Ships simplified here but I think they did a great job of boiling down the difference between fighters and cap ships with red and black dice.

Personally I think it's very evocative of the original with only a few things I really miss.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shir E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alea fortunas II wrote:
As noted by others it's naturally slimmed down. Some differences:

1. No randomized force sensitive characters on each side that could be trained to become jedi. In the original I would often have Luke leading a strike team of 3 or even 5 jedi. Part of the fun of each game was seeing who was secretly force sensitive.

2. Planet based death star shield generators aren't in. Would be nice to have in an expansion of the board game as a way to make the DS into a real fortress.

3. Both sides could run missions to destroy shields, infrastructure, capture, etc. Here the rebels hit ship production or make revolts and the imperials run capture missions.

4. Special ops units that could accompany characters on missions are out . Might be translatable with cards in an expansion. Maybe not.

5. Characters for the most part can't be killed. In the original everyone but iconic characters could die (or Chewie)

6. Victory conditions changed. Just get your popularlity up (rebels) or destroy rebel base (empire). In the original both sides had to capture two key figures and capture the rebel base / Coruscant.

7. Ships simplified here but I think they did a great job of boiling down the difference between fighters and cap ships with red and black dice.

Personally I think it's very evocative of the original with only a few things I really miss.


The original sounds horrible, why would you want Chewie to die?!?!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls