Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UGH! I take a lot of board game photos, and do my best to make sure they look nice and post them on the site. Yes I mostly do it for the GG, but every once in a while I think I have taken a really nice photo and like to share it with the community and see if people like it.

Yesterday I played a game of Kingdom Builders (not the best of games, but it is a fairly fun one) and took a couple photos after. I don't have a fancy camera, I only have my cell phone. So I took a couple photos, one of which I bent down close up and got a nice little shot of the board with the pieces. But the photo had a little bit of light reflecting off of it. Now I thought this actually made the image look kind of neat, like it had a bit of style. So I posted the two photos I took onto the geek.

I wake up this morning to learn the one I took close up with a little bit of light reflection got rejected because it was under/overexposed, when I really thought it looked fine. I even edit the photos beforehand (on my computer) and changing the exposure on the photo wouldn't have done anything to improve the photo.

Now I realize I am no expert on photography or anything, but I did take Art throughout high school back in the old days so I know a decent photo when I see one. I am also not saying the photo was amazing, I am just saying I thought it was better than most of the basic board game photos I usually take.

This kind of thing has happened to me in the past as well. There have been a few photos I have tried to post with a bit of glare which looked nice because the glare was in the background or to the side. I do admit that some of them were disapproved for the right reasons but not all of them.

I have been on geekmod and I have approved/disapproved photos. I have seen photos way overexposed or underexposed or with bad glare, I have seen the junk people try to post sometimes. But the way geekmod works is that you get more geekgold for disapproving an image. As such it has obviously created a system where if there is any bit of evidence that a photo doesn't fit one of the things they are allowed to disapprove an image for, the image is disapproved.

I don't even care about the geekgold at this point. The photo I tried to post last night was a decent one with a bit of reflected light in the photo which got denied for "overexposure."

Just ridiculous sometimes what the geekmoders do sometimes. Don't even get me started on what they give for reviews on the site. UGH!

Like I said I have been on geekmod and made gg that way, and it is a broken system. Sure the reasons to get rid of photos are correct, but they should only be done when there is something seriously wrong with the photo. I would post the photo on here that got denied, but I can't because it got denied. Bloody ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
I would post the photo on here that got denied, but I can't because it got denied.

In case you don't know, every BGG user has a personal gallery. You can upload your picture there and then show it in this thread.

https://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/1017113/analyticgamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get GG for moderating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
One possibility is that the mod has their monitor set in such a way as to emphasize glare?

Would be interested to see the image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
I cannot form a proper response until I see the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
You get GG for moderating?

Geekmod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
tumorous wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

We need to talk about your lens fair. One is minimum, OK, and it's up to you if you want to stick the the bare minimum. Or, like Brian for example has 37 lens flares and has a terrific smile. If you think the bare minimum is enough, well, OK, but BGG encourages people to do more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
AnalyticGamer wrote:
I would post the photo on here that got denied, but I can't because it got denied.

In case you don't know, every BGG user has a personal gallery. You can upload your picture there and then show it in this thread.

Thanks I posted it there:

Like I said, the photo isn't necessarily anything special, I just didn't think there was anything really wrong with it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW the photo seems similar to many other closeup component/gameplay shots, so perhaps the geekmods felt it was redundant? I dunno.

===

Utterly tangential news, but where the heck else should I post it:

There is heavy snow here this evening, so my wife convinced me to go out and make a snowman with her in the parking court below our window:

It was silly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just realized that it looks like the main reason it was declined was because it was similar, which I get, but 50% of the people said it was under/over exposed. So I understand it might be too similar to other photos uploaded, so that is probably a good reason to not put it on, but I didn't think it was overexposed.

Putting a photo on here is sometimes like walking a tightrope, you have to stay within the confines of what the geekmoders will approve. Sometimes I even bring out the highlights on purpose downgrading the look of my photos because I know it will get declined otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:

Like I said, the photo isn't necessarily anything special, I just didn't think there was anything really wrong with it either.

Well, the lighting I didn't find an issue. And besides the distracting subject focus point, really the meeples in the front should have been the target focus.

But other than that I don't see much wrong with the photo. But then again, nothing in the photo say a good enough shot that adds to the representational value to the game in the DB. It's not a great composition.

Truthfully, I probably would have rejected it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
AnalyticGamer wrote:

Well, the lighting I didn't find an issue. And besides the distracting subject focus point, really the meeples in the front should have been the target focus.

But other than that I don't see much wrong with the photo. But then again, nothing in the photo say a good enough shot that adds to the representational value to the game in the DB. It's not a great composition.

Truthfully, I probably would have rejected it too.

Like I said, I'm not saying it is great or anything. I've taken nicer photos. And I see it wasn't approved because it was similar to other photos, but it doesn't detract from the fact that I think you can agree that it isn't overexposed and yet 50% of the modders voted as such.

While yeah it had a good reason for getting disapproved (similar) there are other photos which are getting rejected for the wrong reasons. Also they didn't say it got disapproved for "poor focus". I can't remember if that is one of the things you can disapprove an image for. I'm just saying I've posted worse photos (just for the gg) and had them approved despite that I thought they didn't look very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW there are zillions of threads with people angry about rejected photos (or reviews) and complaining about inconsistency: but remember, that geekmod is done by a random selection of people, so there should be no guarantee or expectation of consistency. Also geekmod only provides a few canned options for indicating why a submission is declined, so sometimes the geekmodders have to pick some vaguely similar to what they were really thinking about.

Better to be pleased about your various accepted submissions than worry about the occasional rejected one, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My blood pressure stays lower when I expect everything to get denied, and then I get a bunch of pleasant surprises!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh...that game isn't Kingdom Builder (note: no multiple builders) but Karuba. Maybe that's why it was rejected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Uh...that game isn't Kingdom Builder (note: no multiple builders) but Karuba. Maybe that's why it was rejected.

There should be two photos there:

Both of them got rejected for similarity, but the one had rejection votes for too much glare and the other for overexposure. And while yeah the one does have a glare spot and the other has a bit of light in it, I didn't think either deserved decline votes for those things. I actually put a lot of editing work into the Karuba photo to detract from the glare spot and to put the focus on the board game.

I have one photo that was approved by the geek which looks awful honestly because I had to darken the image so much to get rid of its glare. Even though I thought the photo looked fine with a bit of glare in it.

It's just a pet peeve of mine is all, because it can be difficult to angle your camera in a way so that the light above your table doesn't reflect on it. There are instances I've seen which are awful glare and overexposures, and I just think the geekmodders are declining to get the extra geekgold sometimes (since you get more geekgold for declining).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW there are zillions of threads with people angry about rejected photos (or reviews) and complaining about inconsistency: but remember, that geekmod is done by a random selection of people, so there should be no guarantee or expectation of consistency. Also geekmod only provides a few canned options for indicating why a submission is declined, so sometimes the geekmodders have to pick some vaguely similar to what they were really thinking about.

Better to be pleased about your various accepted submissions than worry about the occasional rejected one, I think.

I agree, but sometimes it really seems like the system is broken. I was just airing some frustration with it. This is called the complaints department for a reason I assume. I am complaining about the way the modding system works. Most of the time it does a good job, I think the rejection system is decent, but it leaves room for a lot of issues as well. It could be better is what I am saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

There should be two photos there:

Both of them got rejected for similarity, but the one had rejection votes for too much glare and the other for overexposure. And while yeah the one does have a glare spot and the other has a bit of light in it, I didn't think either deserved decline votes for those things. I actually put a lot of editing work into the Karuba photo to detract from the glare spot and to put the focus on the board game.

I have one photo that was approved by the geek which looks awful honestly because I had to darken the image so much to get rid of its glare. Even though I thought the photo looked fine with a bit of glare in it.

It's just a pet peeve of mine is all, because it can be difficult to angle your camera in a way so that the light above your table doesn't reflect on it. There are instances I've seen which are awful glare and overexposures, and I just think the geekmodders are declining to get the extra geekgold sometimes (since you get more geekgold for declining).
Ah, I was confused. Quote me to see how you can hard link to the photo of your choice:

To me, that photo is not overexposed, it is underexposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Ah, I was confused.

I honestly thought that you were just doing your usual clyde-"joking", pretending to misunderstand which photo in the gallery was the one being discussed. It never entered my mind that your comment was sincere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
the distracting subject focus point, really the meeples in the front should have been the target focus.
Yeah. That would make better composition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps some people don't know what "overexposed" means?

Pete (notes that one definition of that word is that there have been too many of those circulated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.