GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys

I'm looking for a family style, worker/animal placement, farmsville type of game with great theme, to play with wife (who was raised on a farm) and 12 year son.

Preferably with a bit of 'take that/player interaction' but not essential.

Settled on Zooleretto or ACBS but not sure which one would be best, or if they are two very different games and I should maybe get both?

Thoughts and views would be appreciated

Cheers
Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ludlam
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not tried Zooloretto but I have the ACBS app on android so might be worth checking that out to get a good feel of it. The focus is on getting more animals and plays pretty quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Davis
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havent played Zooloretto so cant coment on that but i do have ACBS and have played it loads with my (non gamer) wife who really enjoys it. Plus the animeeples are a really nice touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not really very similar at all. First off AACBS is only a two player game, so you wouldn't be able to play with your wife and son at the same time, if that's what you meant.

The main mechanisms are fairly different. In Zooloretto, you are divvying up things into lots and taking the lot you like best (or dislike least) for set collection. In AACBS you are placing workers to get resources, which you then convert to buildings, and animals, which you breed. Zooloretto is more family-ish and AACBS is more gamer-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games that I have played with my kids and wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
First off AACBS is only a two player game, so you wouldn't be able to play with your wife and son at the same time, if that's what you meant.

If you like the idea of Agricola though and want a family friendly version, consider Agricola: Family Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and agree they are entirely different games. Zooloretto is a very basic game. There is some strategy, but not a ton. Its a fun family game. I enjoyed playing with my daughter when she was 4 or other family members who never played games before. My wife and I would never sit down and play alone though.

AACBS is a good adaptation of Agricola which I will choose to play when time is too tight for Agricola or for when playing with my daughter. Its much simpler than its parent game but presents much more strategy and options than Zooloretto. The downside, as mentioned above, its only 2 players.

If the player count isn't a concern, my vote goes towards AACBS. If you want to play with more than 2, than Zooloretto wins by default. Unless you want recommendations outside of those two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your situation Zooloretto is better since it accommodates for than 2 players. I also think it's the better game. I find the method os set collecting used in Zooloretto to be an elegant and compelling mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, let me throw in another option. Coloretto!

Coloretto is by the same designer as Zooloretto and in many ways is essentially the same game pared down to it's core. You use the same process of divvying things into lots and then selecting them, but instead of being a medium length board game, this does away with most of the rest of the game and is a short card game. I actually prefer the game in this incarnation as it scratches the same itch in a quicker and purer way. The only real downside is that it also pretty much ditches theme altogether, so if running a zoo or collecting cute animals was the draw of Zooloretto, this doesn't have that.

(Also, Coloretto is about $8 on CSI and Zooloretto is $34)

If I were you, I'd get Coloretto and AACBS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Either way, let me throw in another option. Coloretto!

Coloretto is by the same designer as Zooloretto and in many ways is essentially the same game pared down to it's core. You use the same process of divvying things into lots and then selecting them, but instead of being a medium length board game, this does away with most of the rest of the game and is a short card game. I actually prefer the game in this incarnation as it scratches the same itch in a quicker and purer way. The only real downside is that it also pretty much ditches theme altogether, so if running a zoo or collecting cute animals was the draw of Zooloretto, this doesn't have that.

(Also, Coloretto is about $8 on CSI and Zooloretto is $34)

If I were you, I'd get Coloretto and AACBS.

Add me to the list who prefers Coloretto over Zooloretto.

Otherwise my point will echo many others here. Zooloretto is a 3-5 player game at heart. At two players you have to use a variant that is not very good in my opinion (same with Coloretto).

Agricola All Creatures is a cool game too, but limits at two players, so that might stop you from playing it much, unless you usually are playing two player. In which case, go crazy.

One word of warning on Agricola (the full or family version): Agricola is a challenging game. It penalizes hard for not being able to feed your family. This can be a turn-off for players. You could house-rule to adjust for this or something if needed. One bonus to Agricola: All Creatures is that feeding is not an issue. Just make the best animal farm you can.

I would also point you to Caverna: The Cave Farmers, though it is super expensive as it is a big thing. Caverna is a bigger version of Agricola, but feeding your folks is much easier. It can play 1-7 players, which means if you are never going to play over 3 players, you get a lot of extra stuff for no reason in there. I prefer Agricola over Caverna, but I know some people who don't like Agricola because of how hard it can be to feed your people sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Cacao?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys some good info there.

I am trying to bolster up my two player collection at the mo so think I am going to go with ACBS as someone said here that it is more complex than Zooleretto which is what I wanted without going to mad and having the full on trying to feed people Agricola experience.

Also I've pretty much decided on getting Stone Age for a more complex entry into worker placement games...then maybe Caverna/Agricola.

Will check out Cacao as well thanks.

BTW I did consider Coloretto as I heard its got more 'take that' but wanted the meeple theme as I have just bought a bunch of card games for Christmas, (Port Royal, 7 wonders, Artic Scavengers, No Thanks,Diamant) so a bit carded out at the mo! lol

Cheers again... love the BGG community

Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john newman
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of additional thoughts.

I love both games. If you plan on purchasing ACBS be prepared to purchase at least one expansion. I would say it gets a bit samey with the base game after five or six plays. If you play it and like it, purchase either expansion: Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – More Buildings Big and Small or Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – Even More Buildings Big and Small. They are both great.

One caution: its out of print. Be prepared to pay close to $100.00 for the base plus one expansion. At Amazon, it lists for $89.00 right now. If you search around, you should be able to find it for $50 or $60. It's a great game, but probably not that price. You will be lucky to find an expansion for $40. Maybe you can get lucky and find something cheaper. Let us know what you discover.

Also, I favor Aquaretto over Zooloretto because there is a little more long term strategy and it's a bit easier to mitigate poor luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
Thanks Guys some good info there.

I am trying to bolster up my two player collection at the mo so think I am going to go with ACBS as someone said here that it is more complex than Zooleretto which is what I wanted without going to mad and having the full on trying to feed people Agricola experience.

Just wait for the Mayfair or whoever it is that's doing the new edition with the expansions included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.