Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most everyone who plays DESCENT, I agree that the Dodge order is almost always a waste of time. Forcing a reroll against all attacks aimed at you should be good on paper, but it hardly seems worth it. Even more frustrating are those times when you actually managed to increase the damage you take with a dodge reroll. Fortunately, I think I have a solution that doesn't require a revamp of the rules.

Simply put: Any attack that is rerolled because of a dodge cannot be better than the original roll. This at least prevents the increased damage result, and puts a let less pressure on the dodger to think about whether he should reroll. Now he knows, no matter what, he won't get screwed with increased damage.

It's not a great fix and dodge just doesn't come into play that often. Rarely seen it worth the trouble to dodge instead of attack or guard. Still, at least it gets rid of that pesky "dodging into sword points effect."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Winkelsträter
Germany
Weinheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the "almost everyone" thing is something I would doubt
In all my games (with different groups) Dodge has been used quite often (and especially with Taunt and/or Grapple quite a pain in the a**), the only order I havent seen in action yet is Aim, so for me (and my groups) thats the order to be improved...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
Like most everyone who plays DESCENT, I agree that the Dodge order is almost always a waste of time. Forcing a reroll against all attacks aimed at you should be good on paper, but it hardly seems worth it. Even more frustrating are those times when you actually managed to increase the damage you take with a dodge reroll.

Actually, I for one think that the Dodge order is the best thing since sliced Ferrox. cool

If players are rolling higher damage than they started with, I would dare suggest that they got greedy and chose to reroll some dice they shouldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
You do realize that the defender gets to pick which dice are re-rolled, right?

If you regularly get hit by more damage after a re-roll, then you are chosing poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you're saying, but a big reason I dislike the Dodge order is because it slows my games down by forcing players to really look at the dice and try to figure out which should be re-rolled. It's obvious, of course, when the die has a low or blank rating. Actually, I'm sure it's usually obvious with experience. But it still slows the game down for me.

Plus, it allows a player to reroll hoping for a miss result without risking more damage.

I've tried dodge without this rule, and it has never proven very effective for me. At least, not when compared to other options available for the character. Of course, every experience is different, and it's good to hear that some folks have employed the Dodge order with some positive effect. But like any game, house rules help customize the game more to the personal tastes and I definitely like this ruling for the reasons listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.