GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [ThinkGeek] Ghostbusters: The Board Game - $39.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Nolan
United States
Lunenburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now during Think Geek's Winter Clearance sale they have Ghostbusters: The Board Game on sale for $39.99 + shipping ($7.95?) (53% off MSRP).

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jnuk/

Coolstuff - $58.49
Miniature Market - $58.65

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bnolan wrote:
Right now during Think Geek's Winter Clearance sale they have Ghostbusters: The Board Game on sale on sale for $39.99 plus tax/shipping (53% off MSRP).

Coolstuff - $58.49

For anybody who has played it, is it worth $39.99? The reviews seemed pretty bad for this game, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leo_rockway wrote:
bnolan wrote:
Right now during Think Geek's Winter Clearance sale they have Ghostbusters: The Board Game on sale on sale for $39.99 plus tax/shipping (53% off MSRP).

Coolstuff - $58.49

For anybody who has played it, is it worth $39.99? The reviews seemed pretty bad for this game, IIRC.

I read up on it, haven't played. From what I can tell it looks like a simple family Pandemic style game. If you are just a board gamer you are probably better off getting Pandemic or other highly rated coop games. If you are a huge ghostbusters fan, or someone who wants to introduce coop games to their young ones, then this would probably be a decent fit.

I have a friend who had it and he didn't keep it for long. There just isn't much to it from what I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leo_rockway wrote:

I read them all around Christmas, since I saw it for $45 at Go Games & Toys, and I ended up passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if it had come out in 2010, it would've been better received, but there are better games of this type out there now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Defenders of the Last Stand instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

Thanks, I'm glad you recommend it, since I have purchased it but it's in a held order at Miniature Market for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Castle
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The one, the only, ...
badge
Keep calm and...MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

I'm going to second this. While I don't feel the games are that similar you should still just be happy with Defenders and forget all about Ghostbusters. As a huge Ghostbusters fan I've played the game and I still wasn't happy with it. I would never play it again because there are just so many similar games which are better out there. In my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostbusters is pretty much "okay".

It's not a bad game. It's not a great game. It suffers from a few things though:

-It's basically a 1, 2, or 4 player game. However, the way the game works, you need to use 4 Ghostbusters, so the breakdown is weird. Really, it seems to play better as a solo since it's a co-op with zero hidden information.

-The retail version of the game has a lot less "bits" than the Kickstarter version and since the IP plays off off nostalgia, some people really won't be satisfied with just the Marshmallow Man and Slimer.

-Some of the randomness can get frustrating and can artificially inflate the game's duration.

That said, I've played it quite a few times and it can be fun. It just won't bowl you over with how awesome it is.

For the base retail, I'm not sure I'd pay $40 + probably $8-12 in tax/shipping. If I remember it right, Miniature Market had it for $40 during one of the last sales and that wouldn't have had tax and would've had flat shipping costs (or combined order options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.