GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,500 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: "bribe" during encounter negotiations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Imoen
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

During the encounter phase, can I offer/give to other active player my power tokens as a "bribe"?
"Here you have one power token from my leader sheet, put it on yours, but please let's make this encounter a truce!"
or
"I will release your hostage if the outcome will be a truce"

Is this legal?
If not, what can I offer during negotiations? What are my options, tools during negotiations?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't give power tokens or hostages in any situation except during a truce outcome negotiation. You can say "if it is a truce outcome I'll give you a power token", but you can only actually give the token after the cards are revealed and it is a truce. You don't have to keep true to what you said before the cards were revealed, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imoen
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
You can't give power tokens or hostages in any situation except during a truce outcome negotiation. You can say "if it is a truce outcome I'll give you a power token", but you can only actually give the token after the cards are revealed and it is a truce. You don't have to keep true to what you said before the cards were revealed, however.

OK. I see.
But I can't find that in rules. Is there a FAQ? Or not yet?

Thank You!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the principle is "if the rules don't say you can do it, you can't". You can't just move cards and tokens around when you feel like it, the rules state when you can do it - on a truce outcome, you can exchange up to 2 hostages and 3 power.

Also, I am a long time cosmic encounter player, and it's very well established that this is how it works there. If it was different here they definitely would have noted it in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schulz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
CBpegasus wrote:
You can't give power tokens or hostages in any situation except during a truce outcome negotiation.

Just to be clear, you can't elect to give hostages to another player except during a truce outcome negotiation, but you can certainly offer to release them as part of any negotiation as any player can release hostages at the beginning of any turn.

It is perfectly fine to say, "If you play a truce card during this encounter, I will release your hostage at the beginning of the next turn." Whether or not you actually follow through on your offer at the beginning of the next turn is up to you, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imoen
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Keraptis wrote:

It is perfectly fine to say, "If you play a truce card during this encounter, I will release your hostage at the beginning of the next turn." Whether or not you actually follow through on your offer at the beginning of the next turn is up to you, however.

OK, but just to be clear, can I say: "If you play a truce card during this encounter I will give you one power token."? or: "If you will give me 4 power tokens from your leader sheet I'll will play truce card."?

And that power token (tokens) is not a part of truce outcome discussion that we'll have later (if there will be truce outcome).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
viszla wrote:
OK, but just to be clear, can I say: "If you play a truce card during this encounter I will give you one power token."? or: "If you will give me 4 power tokens from your leader sheet I'll will play truce card."?

And that power token (tokens) is not a part of truce outcome discussion that we'll have later (if there will be truce outcome).

No. As others have said, you can only exchange power tokens as the result of a truce outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imoen
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

No. As others have said, you can only exchange power tokens as the result of a truce outcome.

OK,

But than, what I have left for negotiations?? Only hostages?
The whole point of negotiations is useless if you don't have resources for negotiation. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viszla wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

OK,

But than, what I have left for negotiations?? Only hostages?
The whole point of negotiations is useless if you don't have resources for negotiation. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

The main things you can negotiate about outside of a truce outcome:

1. Offering and accepting support - this is critical. What people often don't realize (in cosmic and in this game) is that allowing a player to support you is often a favor to him (if you can win without their help). And vice-versa, offering support with a high-power character might be a boon for the active player who might have a bigger chance of winning now.

2. Hostages - yes they are a big part of it in this game. Negotiating their release vs. their torment can be a big deal.

3. Truce outcomes - often mutually beneficial, and especially good for the defense that cannot receive influence otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then you also have multiple abillities that can harm other players and you can use them to threaten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
viszla wrote:
Keraptis wrote:

This is perfectly fine. You can say whatever you like before cards are chosen. And making promises of what you will give in a truce situation is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:

You cannot do this. The power/influence can only be traded after the truce outcome is revealed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you even want to do this? Let's say it was allowed, - the fact you gave someone a bribe of influence or power is no more binding on them than it is on you. You could give them the bribe, and they still play a hostility card and your bribe was wasted anyway. So I don't really see where it gets you.

It could be potentially game breaking due to kingmaker problem. Sure, it's part of the game to form alliances and make truces, which could result in limited kingmaking of a sort. But to kingmake by the rules, you both need to play a truce and then you could give them a winning influence. But they are taking a risk in doing this, because you might not play the truce card at all.

To simply hand another player your power or influence without them having believed you would play a truce card, and taking on the risk of playing a truce card themselves without knowing for sure you will do the same, seems like it would be taking that a bit too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.