GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: looking for solo games using the whole mape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone out there have a solo game that uses the whole map.

looking for any new solo games as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't have a formal story card, but when I first got the full Verse (both Rim expansions of Blue Sun and Kalidasa), I did a solo game where I only drew starting jobs from the "new" contacts (Harrow, Mr Universe, Higgins, and Fanty&Mingo), and my objective for the solo game was to become Solid with all 9 Contacts.

I was more interested in exploring the game than in "winning", so I didn't really do a turn countdown (as in "Awful Lonely"), but it could easilly be implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked at the details, but maybe try "The Rim's The Thing" setup with the solo story card, modifying contact details as appropriate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I don't have a formal story card, but when I first got the full Verse (both Rim expansions of Blue Sun and Kalidasa), I did a solo game where I only drew starting jobs from the "new" contacts (Harrow, Mr Universe, Higgins, and Fanty&Mingo), and my objective for the solo game was to become Solid with all 9 Contacts.

I was more interested in exploring the game than in "winning", so I didn't really do a turn countdown (as in "Awful Lonely"), but it could easilly be implemented.

Instead of a count down, use just a counter, then try to beat it the next game (doing things faster each time). For a solo experience it's a little better imho, you are able to experience it all, yet have a "goal" of doing it better each time. I also recommend 1 or more "NPC" player ships, the rules for which are elsewhere on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although trying to "improve your time" could work with certain iterations, I think there's so much variety in supplies, jobs, Nav cards, etc., that a shorter time doesn't necessarily mean you did any better. Indeed, some Story Cards are inherently a bit more challenging.

One fun solo variant, though, could be to take a basic story card (maybe Respectable Persons of Business) and try various captains and strategies to see who has the best time. Mal with Crime? Monty with Smuggling? Womack doing dirty deeds, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not created as a solo game, but I very much recommend Ashitaka's story card "Covered in Mud" https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23857866#23857866. Aside from good flavour/story, it sends you from one end of the verse and back again... and again. I haven't played it with standard solo rules (rather my own modifications generally making things more tricky), but I suspect it would be difficult to do in 20 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.