Popular Tags: reviews [+] [View All]
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

This may be a basic question, but I couldn't find the answer upon looking around.

I've been away from the 'Geek for some time and a few things have changed. Is gold no longer automatically awarded for Reviews? I submitted a Review last night which was approved this morning but I haven't gotten any gold for it yet. I would think it's on its way, but I did see the little button on the submission page to indicate that to the mods that you consider the submission worthy of gold. Does that have to be clicked to get some? My reading of that at the time was that it was requesting bonus gold, especially now that I see it shows up under every submission form. If gold is not rewarded automatically, can I petition to get some after the fact? Not that it's the end of the world, but I put a reasonable bit of effort into the
review (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/170605), it's for an under-reviewed game, and I need more microbadges!

Thanks!

--
- jkopena
[rocketshipgames.com]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkopena wrote:
I submitted a Review last night which was approved this morning but I haven't gotten any gold for it yet.

According to this, you recieved 2.8 GG for your review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out; I still haven't gotten mail about it & didn't realize my gold had gone up (I wasn't sure how much I had beforehand).

Later I'll have to experiment with GeekModding, but how does that work in this context? I.e., if I hit the "Worth Gold" button, would they see a little sign prompting them to consider allocating (more) gold?

On the one hand, I realize BGG's free for use & is totally awesome, and in a real-world sense it's not a big deal. But, from the perspective of the internal economy, things seem really skewed now. 2.8 gold for what I would consider a pretty reasonable review? Certainly it took some time to write. My lesson here is that under the "new" scheme I should just take a handful of so-so photos; they'll almost certainly get approved and I'll get more gold for a fraction of the time and effort. Doesn't the likely relative decrease in the value of reviews and other content compared to images, if they're not automatically worth some amount, combined with the goldcents rewarded for Modding, encourage everyone to upload average images and then approve other peoples' average images? Hower, if that's a gold bonus, and the auto 5 is still coming through, then obviously this question is mitigated a bit and things would make a lot more sense to me.

Thx!

--
- tjkopena
rocketshipgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Traditionally, reviews have been worth 3 gold (not 5), but they are now on a sliding scale between 0-5, and a user is awarded the average amount approved by approving mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkopena wrote:
2.8 gold for what I would consider a pretty reasonable review? Certainly it took some time to write. My lesson here is that under the "new" scheme I should just take a handful of so-so photos; they'll almost certainly get approved and I'll get more gold for a fraction of the time and effort.

If you just want to add so-so content for the geekgold, submitting images is probably the better way. Although 3 quick short session reports will likely gain the same amount of GG for not much more effort.

If you want to add good content, creating and editing a photo takes some time, too. I don't know long you wrote at that review, but one of the top photographers here stated that he spends about half an hour for a good image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn that reviews were 5, but you are correct; thanks for pointing that out Skelebone.

It takes me a good 45 to 90 minutes to write a good review, plus taking notes while playing a few rounds. I would easily believe the really good photos take a good chunk of time as well, based on some of my own experiences. Those meeples... they just don't like to be in focus...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.