GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,437 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » General

Subject: Downloadable content - printing, cutting, etc... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you folks have a vendor, or suggestions, on taking the downloadable content from Flying Frog and having it printed out on professional looking die-cut counters? I could always print them on card stock and cut them out, but I was hoping to make the counters a little more refined than that.

I contacted Gamecrafter, but I have absolutely no skills at using Photoshop, GIMP, or any other graphics manipulator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
Do you folks have a vendor, or suggestions, on taking the downloadable content from Flying Frog and having it printed out on professional looking die-cut counters? I could always print them on card stock and cut them out, but I was hoping to make the counters a little more refined than that.

i have only one tip, which unfortunately isn't a big one...

i use beer coaster material for any tokens included in such kits. It's roughly 1.2mm thick (making the tokens easy to handle on the table), exceedingly durable, and feels good in the hand (IMO). The down-side is that its toughness makes it rather difficult to cut curves (e.g. round tokens), and i have no idea if a circle-cutter can manage that type of material. Unfortunately, beer coasters are too small (roughly 93mm to a side) for the Villain cards unless one scales down the Villain card notably (possibly unreadably).

A real-life example:

The rear-most and square tokens on the right are from the Pied Piper Villain. The square tokens look quite nice (if i may say so), especially if their edges are colored over with a marker (otherwise the edges are off-white and stick out like a sore thumb). The Villain token, as can clearly be seen, isn't nearly as round as it could be - i lack the patience to carefully cut out circles, and (shamelessly) do a rather sloppy job of it.

Since making those tokens i have purchased some adhesive printer paper in the hopes that it will be simpler/less messy than gluing stuff together, but haven't yet tried it out, so nothing to report there. i don't want to waste whole sheets of it for a small handful of tokens, so i'd first need to pack several of them together onto a page (using Inkscape and/or GIMP, both of which i can manage well enough for the 8-10 features needed for this type of work) to avoid wastage.

Beer coasters can, in my experience, be bought in packages of 100 to 1000 for anywhere from 4 to 8 cents each. i get mine via amazon.de (no surprise at all that German Amazon carries beer coasters ).

In any case, i'm hoping someone will chime in with some general printing tips, e.g. precise sizes to use, tweaking image brightness (everything i've printed out so far comes out darker than i'd like), and tips regarding similar refinements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsewhere on BGG people use round arch punches to make perfect circles.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
Elsewhere on BGG people use round arch punches to make perfect circles.

Lee

That's what I was initially thinking. Where might I find these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this one.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/507240/making-circular-toke...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:

fwiw, i just kind of spot-checked the prices on that equipment: the cheapest arch punch i am seeing is 37 Euros for 8mm (which isn't a useful size). Anything 20mm+ is running 60 Euros or more, or 200-300 for a set of 7 sizes. Many punches are running 120 Euros each, for a single size.

So... professional tokens at professional prices :/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan,

I'd like to suggest that you see if you can find pre-carved wooden discs or squares at a cheap price. If you can find them in the right size, you can probably get a round or square craft punch by a company like Marvy and punch adhesive label paper to adhere to the wood. That would be a good way to make some serious tokens.

You may also be able to find some plastic or wooden discs or tiles at https://www.spielematerial.de/en/. Again, you can punch out the labels and adhere them to the discs or tiles.

You can find a lot of round labels online. I print on them regularly and adhere them to checkers or other game components. That will save you from punching out a bunch of circles.

I have not looked for square labels, but I know they make them for indented blank dice, although those labels may be a bit too small.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
You may also be able to find some plastic or wooden discs or tiles at https://www.spielematerial.de/en/. Again, you can punch out the labels and adhere them to the discs or tiles.

As a matter of fact... i place an order 2-3x/year from spielematerial.de , and my last purchase included blank 25mm chips. Those are earmarked for paper minis bases, though :/.

Another useful item of theirs for people wanting to pimp up their games are the generic plastic gems:

https://www.spielematerial.de/en/set-crystal-gems-100-pieces...

in ATOE those can easily replace Investigation and/or Wounds. i use them as replacements for Talisman's various plastic tokens, as well as health/sanity for Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.