Popular Tags: geekmod [+] photos [+] [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh, I just don't understand my fellow modders... How on earth can they approve a badly cropped, glare-filled photo like this one:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic220272.jpg

Yet seconds before, turn down a reasonably nice, game-in-action picture like this:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic220271.jpg

I guess it's my lot to be consistently going against the grain here, because this happens repeatedly. I turned down this, which was ultimately approved:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic220009.jpg

Yet I accepted this, which was ultimately turned down:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic219995.jpg

(Okay, that last one is rather blurry, I can agree there... ) In all cases, these are most likely seen by the same modders, as these pictures are submitted within seconds of each other.

So, what is it with you people? Are you against nice composition? You LIKE glare and unrecognizable, chaotic elements? Help, I'm going insane!

Yeah, yeah, I know, to each his own... I just had to lessen the pressure and unload a bit though... thanks for "listening"... back to modding and my role as potential spoiler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last two i would have declined. They don't add anything.

The blue moon one i would have looked at other images in the gallery.

If it is to similar i would decline, otherwise I approve it because there is nothing wrong with it.

The first one is more dificult.
I think it is quite possible that there are not many pictures of the game or gameplay from that game.

i would decline it for glare and cropping issues..
I would also add a comment that i would gladly approve better pictures for that game because the game is missing good pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
How on earth can they approve a badly cropped, glare-filled photo like this one:

The first game in play image for this game. Glare and badly cropped, as you say it. I would have declined it too, but can understand that it was approved.

Quote:
Yet seconds before, turn down a reasonably nice, game-in-action picture like this:

There are already 20+ game in play images for this game. I can see how many modders would consider it as 'too similar'.
In addition, i think it's badly rotated. When taken from a better angle, and cut out the drinks and ash tray, it would be a good image.

Quote:
I guess it's my lot to be consistently going against the grain here, because this happens repeatedly. I turned down this, which was ultimately approved:

Not a perfect image, but an ok one IMO. And the first game in play short for this game.

Quote:
Yet I accepted this, which was ultimately turned down:
(Okay, that last one is rather blurry, I can agree there... )

It looks ok in the small preview, but it is completely blurry. Did you view it at full size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the first three (although I also would have declined #1 for cropping and glare), but I did decline this one...

...because there are already dozens of pix just like it in the PR gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I am going to break the code of silence. There is a vast conspiracy to get images approved that [insert your name here] doesn't like so we can have another thread on why modders stink. It amuses us to make people upset about bad images.

...hee hee... what till you see what we approve next! Bwaaa haa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Ok, I am going to break the code of silence. There is a vast conspiracy to get images approved ...

Like I said, I was just blowing off steam... Sometimes a girl's gotta do that so she can head back out "into the mines" and do the job...

I just don't want to get to the point where I'm trying to guess what my fellow modders will do, rather than just modding to my own standards. Though I find it does help to understand WHY some bad pictures were approved. Now that I know "first image in a gallery" is such a big deal, maybe I'll lighten up on my standards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
I'm with you Diane, in the sense that I often feel like I'm swimming upstream. My fellow modders are a mystery. I often find no ryhme or reason to the "disagreements" on images.

Incidentally, I recently submitted an image which was declined. No biggie, except that it was tagged "Blurry" by one modder. The 'blurry' image in question was a 360Dpi scan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completely given up trying to figure out my fellow mods. At times it appears to be a mystery wrapped in an enigma founded on a paradox. Attempting to unravel this could break the space-time continuum, or at the very least lead to premature madness.

In the end, I have decided to judge each item irrespective of what I think the other mods are apt to do. In the end, I think this is the only way to go about modding, and the only way for me to keep my sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
Ok, I am going to break the code of silence. There is a vast conspiracy to get images approved ...

Like I said, I was just blowing off steam... Sometimes a girl's gotta do that so she can head back out "into the mines" and do the job...

I just don't want to get to the point where I'm trying to guess what my fellow modders will do, rather than just modding to my own standards. Though I find it does help to understand WHY some bad pictures were approved. Now that I know "first image in a gallery" is such a big deal, maybe I'll lighten up on my standards...

No worries, I was sort of blowing off steam on "image modders - what's up with them?" threads

Actually, I wouldn't recommend lightening up on your standards but if stuff gets through you don't like >shrug< just let it go. I am with all of you on the idea that I really don't get why some things make it and some don't. But what the heck we do the best we can right?
Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
You've been a member for over two years and still think you're keeping your sanity? Newsflash...

LOL! ROFLMAO!! Too funny, but possibly true! You know what they say about the inmates running the asylum...

Thanks, I needed that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
You've been a member for over two years and still think you're keeping your sanity? Newsflash...
I omitted the parenthetical 'what remains of' in there somewhere. Or I think I did. I'm sure I included that when I responded tomorrow. Now please excuse me, my commemorative Evil Knievel tupperware collection requires my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes Geekmodding is just a wicked game of luck.

Today I declined several seperate Wing Commander Cards which were photographed in a very flat angle and all one card/pic.
I checked "Decline-other" and commented "please put severeal cards on one picture" as I don't think this one picture/card policy is good - ESPECIALLY for a CCG (like Wing Commander).

Obviously I'm not alone with this opinion: Of the 6 Cards I declined 4 were finally declined.
Mysteriously the first
and the last
card was approved by the ohter modders.

This way I'll never rise above 77% Overall Percentage with image modding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just started modding myself as of yesterday, and I gotta say it is more difficult than I thought. I just turned down a review today, cause the person didn't even play the game.

I would have turned this image down though:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic220009.jpg

I might not know what game that is, but it certainly didn't come in a Tikal box.

Now since I didn't vote on that image, would I have been wrong in turning it down for that reason? Just curious cause I am new to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Tikal box is certainly a legitimate gripe, and I wouldn't argue if it was declined. I, however, did vote to approve this one. You can see the game box in the lower left, and a quick glance at the gallery shows the setup to be kosher. The Tikal box is obviously just another game on the table (SOP for most of us geeks). A bit confusing perhaps, and it won't win any photo contests, but it is a decent amateur photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... It's also the only photo in the gallery to show the game being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.