GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Simple but sweet, social group games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quacks Washington
msg tools
Hey folks, long time lurker, first time poster. I've recently dived back into the board game world myself for the first time in about a decade and I'm loving to see how they've progressed.

Trouble is, whilst I have a group of friends for occasional, more hardcore sessions (Mansions of Madness & The Order of the Stick Board Game have both proved great fun), my girlfriend and other friends are less enthusiastic about spending a weekend running over rules and player management.

So on a recommendation from a friend, I gave Wizard (1984) a go and loved the simplicity and social play going on in between rounds. Most importantly: everyone had picked up the base rules and knew about everything that was in play by the third trump, so it kept game moving swiftly along and gave us more time to jab each other and have a bit of an overlaying social game going on, throwing each other off the scent and poking fun.

I'd love to hear if anyone might have any ideas for other games that might also fit this bill: simple enough that non-gamers could pick up and enjoy over an afternoon, but requires, at least some form of skill based play. Bonus points for being able to psyche each other out.

We gave the excellent Gang Up a go (which I love in a bit of a tougher group, and thought would be a nice "next step" from Wizard), but with the amount of differentiation in the cards, new players often felt put off by our knowledge drawn from past plays.

We've a pretty fresh closet for games, and I've been out of the loop for some time, so all recommendations no matter how obvious or dull, are very much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
duckwithabuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party! is my go-to rec for a 'gateway' game as it's social, supports up to 8 players, and is super easy to play/learn. Very enjoyable too -- just an all-round great drafting game.

I would also recommend A Fake Artist Goes to New York for that one activity/drawing-based game in your collection. It's not about points or even strategy, but it's light and a great time and a fantastic ice-breaker. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's a phenomenal game nonetheless.

We've also had really good luck with Dixit (apples to apples w/ surreal artwork, essentially), Sheriff of Nottingham (fantastic bluffing game, but depends on your group), and Tokaido (beautiful and easy to explain).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gave my eldest son Cash & Guns 2nd edition for his Tuesday night game group. Simple rules. Bluffing, set collection, shifting alliances, optional trash talk and plays up to 8 people. Not sure it qualifies as sweet.

Can't figure out how to link to games from my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players etc, the more info you can give, the easier it is for people to give you a more specific suggestion

However, some fun simple games or more social games I like and tend to go down well with many of all abilities are:

Cockroach Poker
Celestia
Diamant
Beasty Bar
Port Royal
Camel Up
Colt Express
Dead Man's Draw
GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck
Love Letter
BANG! The Dice Game

A more typical board game that I like that's quite intuitive for the most part and social is Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition). A simpler one that always seems to go down well with non-gamers is Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
I've come here to chew bubble gum and play board games, and I'm all outta bubble gum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple enough for non-gamers. Easy to learn, but requires some form of skill based play. They sort of maybe get more difficult as you go down the list.

Tokaido
Takenoko
Kanagawa
Islebound
Champions of Midgard

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Diamant
+1 Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
The Resistance
6 nimmt!
Codenames
Wits & Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quacks Washington
msg tools
These are all great, thanks very much for all the responses everyone!

I'll go through the list in depth today and make a trip to my local board game shop to see what's available. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoax (second edition) might work for you. Nice and simple bluffing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I zeroed in on "psych-out" and thought of these games:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf
The Resistance
Sherrif of Nottingham
Secret Hitler
Shadows over Camelot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.