GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Wing Leader: Supremacy 1943-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cohesion checks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Noda
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why aren't they listed on the turn sequence chart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cohesion checks are part of a bigger turn sequence. The turn sequence is showing you the order you resolve activities. Air combat is one such activity but cohesion checks are a sub-step of that activity. There are several times where cohesion checks have to be made (after flak barrage attacks, direct flak attacks, and air combat). The sequence of play chart shows you when you resolve each of these larger activities. Cohesion checks are understood sub-steps within those activities.

I know at first there is a lot going on in air combat and its easy to forget a step. Whenever there is an air combat (or barrage/direct flak attack), just follow along through the steps in the rules. For my first few games, I had the rules always open to section 10.0 (Combat) and I would step my way through this rules section every time I needed to resolve air combat. After a while, it settles in to where you don't need the rulebook so much.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree.

It seems daunting at first, but once you've done half a dozen air combat sequences (which will happen over the course of one or two games at most), the times at which cohesion checks occur will become second nature.

Some people are fans of turn sequences where every possible step is laid out. I'm not personally a fan of that, because it feels too much like a checklist or a operating system. That said, I know that there are a LOT of wargamers who prefer it to be comprehensively laid out, and I get that point of view as well.

So, if your question is "why aren't the locations of cohesion checks specified in the turn sequence", the short answer is "to reduce clutter."

If your question is "what do I do because cohesion checks aren't shown?" you can do as Pete Wagner suggests and keep the book open for the first couple of fights.

[Later] I'm just looking at the 2.0 player aid charts and have this funny feeling there used to be an air combat sequence there that isn't there now. But I'm probably just remembering incorrectly. I'll check my 1.0 charts when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The air combat tables are laid out in the order in which you use them.

1. Determine number of hits
2. Confirm hits (other side of card)
3. Check cohesion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.