GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Gaming Vocabulary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was talking to my wife about a movie trailer she saw and I mentioned that the kids enjoy anthropomorphic animals. She looked at me funny and I realized that the sole reason I know the definition of that word is from board gaming.

Besides the obvious meeples and d20, what words are in your vocabulary purely because of our hobby?

Challenge: Use one in normal conversation today and post your results here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this is halfway off-topic, but my favorite "how gaming improved my skills" story.

I started playing Magic: The Gathering when I was 12 in 1996. Later in secondary-school, I had English as major field of study. Regularly, my schoolmates asked "where the heck do you know THAT word from?!".
I learned half of my English vocabulary from MTG. I finally had an A in my school leaving examination and I owe Richard Garfield some thanks for making this possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Challenge: Use one in normal conversation today and post your results here!

"I would like to read this book but I will have to wait for the French localisation."

I knew the concept of translation but discovered the word (and the concept) "localisation" by watching video made by Iello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect I knew this one from another source, but I don't use "orthogonal" much outside boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
Sorry, this is halfway off-topic, but my favorite "how gaming improved my skills" story.

I started playing Magic: The Gathering when I was 12 in 1996. Later in secondary-school, I had English as major field of study. Regularly, my schoolmates asked "where the heck do you know THAT word from?!".
I learned half of my English vocabulary from MTG. I finally had an A in my school leaving examination and I owe Richard Garfield some thanks for making this possible

This story is *Some Good*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
I suspect I knew this one from another source, but I don't use "orthogonal" much outside boardgaming.

That's the one I was thinking of.

Also, asymmetric doesn't get much use outside of board games for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
JosefK wrote:

This was the first thing I thought of.

My extensive knowledge of fantasy creatures probably comes from D&D... if that counts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
I finally had an A in my school leaving examination and I owe Richard Garfield some thanks for making this possible

Is it about the "some thanks"? Is there no plural for thanks?

I just said that I learned vocabulary with the help of Magic...not grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, tapping/to tap has an entirely different meaning for me than non-gamers. And a 45 degree tap? Hmph. No!

I think I know all kinds of medieval armor names I wouldn't normally, like greaves.

But using those in normal conversation, not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm constantly amazed at how many Jeopardy! questions I know SOLELY from having played a board game with a related theme.

The other day there was some clue that mentioned Madeira and they were looking for a country. "What is Portugal!!!!"

Thanks, "What's Your Game?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true about trivia -- Pandemic has taught me a great deal about world geography!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Besides the obvious meeples and d20, what words are in your vocabulary purely because of our hobby?

Orthogonal

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprue. I just tried telling my wife that I'm not feeling well, I think I have sprue. She asked me what sprue is.

She's a gamer too but doesn't have a space minis addiction.

Other new terminology for me includes Timmy Player, Vasel's Law, Turtling and Point Salad.

Also, Mulligan, Chit, D6.

D6, I thought, what is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Certainly "miniature" (or "mini"). I've been aware of the objects themselves for years, but before I started getting much more into boardgaming these past six months or so, I would call them "figures", "figurines", "models" or some such.

Also, if you asked me a year ago, I would have only used the term "pawn" to describe a certain kind of chessman, not to describe what I previously would have called a "piece", "game piece" or "player piece".

I previously would have referred to the "side" of a die rather than its "face", because in my previous experience, those two things were always interchangeable. It's not until these past several months that I have encountered "custom" dice with the same face on multiple sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I like this thread but I'm having trouble thinking of any word I've learned from boardgaming. Maybe I came too late to the hobby or maybe I don't play enough games.

I do agree with the previous commenters on the word "orthogonal" (i.e. I never really use that word outside of boardgaming) but, unfortunately I had already learned that word from statistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure a single use of "orthogonal" related to boardgames ...
While this word reminds me math, planes, group theory, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons and Dragons improved my vocabulary back in the 70s: Constitution, Dexterity, Charisma, Halberd, Dervish,... Just the other day I was able to positively confirm that "Dirk" is a word while playing Quiddler (we played a friendly game.) Unfortunately D&D did not improve my grammar or spelling.

Champions improved my mental arithmetic skills.

I cannot remember which words I learned from board games directly-- Except 'Pyrrhic victory' and 'field marshal'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattramsey wrote:
I like this thread but I'm having trouble thinking of any word I've learned from boardgaming.

So, you aren't familiar with the word "meeple"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Van Asten
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
It's Bigger On The Inside
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:

I used the term "orthogonally adjacent" in a work meeting once. I've never seen so many confused people who had no idea a word to describe the concept existed. It surprises me that the word "diagonal" is relatively common but orthogonal isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time there's a question about who is going to brief first at a meeting, I'm going to get out a d20 and roll initiative...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the times I've used the word "pip" in reference to the dots on dice, people look at me funny. I don't know if I learned that dice had pips from gaming or through some other means though.

Magic definitely expanded my vocabulary once I hit 10 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Does the term "semi-cooperative" exist outside boardgaming? "Co-operative" - definitely. 'Semi-cooperative', I guess it could do, as in "We were all helping to clean out the hall, but Jason was only semi-cooperative". (And probably a traitor as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned "malus" is the antonym of "bonus" through boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Wolle_Petterson wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
I finally had an A in my school leaving examination and I owe Richard Garfield some thanks for making this possible

Is it about the "some thanks"? Is there no plural for thanks?

I just said that I learned vocabulary with the help of Magic...not grammar

As a noun, it always appears as a plural. It's just not commonly combined with some. Not really anything wrong with your phrasing. I thought it sounded fine. What we might be more likely to hear, though is, "I owe many thanks to..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

I guess the most enduring one I've learned is die as the singular.
But I was quite impressed with the knowledge/research involved when I discovered that some of the names in Magic are real things in our world and not made-up terms which I originally assumed--not being familiar with them; terms like Taiga and Lapis Lazuli.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.