GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
610 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargamer, what do you do for a living ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer, what do you do for a living ?

After having seen this thread on the BGG regular forum, and the interesting variability of responses, I became curious about how the wargamers on the BGG subforum would respond to the same question.

One of the aspects that makes me curious is that many people seem to put in dozens of hours per month in wargaming.

I wish I could have so much free time.

As a secondary question, how much time do you spend on wargaming in an average week (excluding conventions, special events, etc.) ?

cool

EDIT: added the secondary question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will start with myself.

I am family physician / general practitioner working in Downtown Montreal who teaches family practice at Université de Montreal and who specializes in treating professional artists (dance, cirque, music, etc.).

In average, I play about 4 hours a week, either FTF or solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a hospital pharmacist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, these days, I'm a sales director for specialty chemical company. We provide environmental products to purify drinking water. My team covers the United States and Canada.

Back in the day, I was a structural engineer and Army Reserve officer, but that was quite a few moons ago!

I probably wargame around 12 hours per month face to face, and another 8 hours a month solitaire. So, 20 hours a month total, roughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep the theme going here, I'm also a doctor, working in intensive care medicine.

Brent.

Late edit because I hadn't fully answered the OP. Play is erratic and much less than I would like because work is pretty demanding, plus family and other life commitments eat up the rest. Haven't played at all in the past two months . It's difficult to gauge my hours spent gaming. I work shifts, so I can go long periods without any gaming but when I do get the opportunity I go for it and may binge a number of sessions in a week. I'm fortunate to have a few like-minded local gaming mates and s couple of playgroups to be able to take those opportunities when they present themselves. I also do Vassal real time and a bit of PBEM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
History professor. I do not make very much considering the amount of time I put in to get here, but love history and the work schedule benefits my gaming hobby. Also, my kids are now grown and have moved on, and being single, finding lots of "extra" time on my hands these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm semi-retired working as the treasurer for my wife's political campaign fund and managing some commercial real estate we own; the retired part comes from retiring after 35 years with a manufacturing corporation in various management positions.

My gaming is split between a little bit of PS3 time (X-Com, Fallout, Borderlands) and real gaming, wargaming that is. I'd say I spend maybe 10 hours a week on the low end and 20 hours a week on the high end not including the infrequent days where my usual opponent and I spend entire days, 12+ hours, gaming.

It's a great lifelong hobby and despite having a large collection I'd say my cost per hour of enjoyment is maybe $1/hr.

Oh, and that crap you hear about people being bored in retirement is, well, crap. I can't wait until I'm completely retired to have even more time to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a criminal defense lawyer in Dallas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Software engineer. I dabble in video game development on the side, I just got done writing a new Atari 5200 game that should be available in cartridge form soon.

How much time I spend playing in a week depends on whether or not my wife and I have a monster game set up. Right now, we do (Federation & Empire) and we probably spend 6-10 hours a week on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Criminal Mastermind plotting World Domination. Gaming keeps me in top form (insert maniacal laugh here).

[but seriously, retired from a professional model building firm, with a heavy sideline in model railroading kit production]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cook
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PI Lawyer in Baltimore, MD. 2 toddlers at home (3 years old and 4 years old), and a 10-year old stepdaughter. If I get in 2-3 hours per month (yes, you read that correctly), I'm fortunate. Right now, I build and fawn over my collection....and my friends' collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Server Systems Engineer, for a very large insurance firm.

I have to divide my time between wargames (usually solo) and other games that I play with a group of gamers. I probably average about 10 hours a month on wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Land surveyor. All about the maps.

Do you mean actual ftf play, or the gaming I do in my head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully soon to be retired in house attorney for a large corporation. I spend 3-4 hours a week on board games, and another 3-4 on computer gaming. Grown kids having moved on has opened some time for gaming, but I hope to have a LOT more when I retire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patent attorney with computer science background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hospital laundry. I operate the commercial sized washers, dryers and iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Boerman

Maynard
Massachusetts
msg tools
"Stick with me folks...I got all the answers."
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi-Retired college football coach. I currently do some contract work for the 4-letter network..

I play about once a week, mostly solitaire...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primary (elementary?) teacher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Lead user experience designer for a major Canadian bank, working in their innovation lab. Been a designer for 25 years, but have also done work as a goldsmith, air traffic controller, baseball coach, and co-founder of a design studio.

Education in (urban historical) geography, fine art, and meteorology.

Average week would be about 3 hours of wargames, and maybe 6 hours of other types. No TV = more gaming time.

PeteyWA wrote:
Land surveyor. All about the maps.

Up Front lover and cartography enthusiast? Knew there was a reason I think you're great BGG guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a retired 3rd grade teacher, lured out of retirement to work as a 3rd grade teacher at a charter school.

I spend 10+ hours each week on wargames,more if you count the occasional computer wargame. Even more if you count reading history pertaining to a particoular wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for my provincial government in the post-secondary education end of things.

I spend quite a few hours each week, probably 10-15 or more, on gaming.
But I spend it designing, developing, and testing my new stuff, or answering questions about other things I have designed.
It seems I hardly ever actually play these things, unless I am testing something of mine to see if it works.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transportation Engineer for the Government. Wartime logistics and supply are fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Retired US Navy officer (with specialties in amphibious operations and logisitical planning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathematician. (Lately that means teaching a bunch, with very little time to devote to my research)

Edit:. To qualify "a bunch": this autumn I had 935 students...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As little as possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.