GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 20X Reviews #19 - Pandemic After 20 Plays (Also, Pandemic Legacy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Check out a Geeklist containing all my other reviews here: 20X Reviews - A Geeklist

Time to 20 Plays: 1 Year, 6 Months

How to Play: In Pandemic, players work together to manage the spread of four diseases while simultaneously working toward curing the diseases. On a turn, players take up to four actions such as moving (in multiple different ways), removing disease cubes from a city, building research stations, or discovering disease cures using five cards of a particular color. Then, players draw two cards that either help cure a disease, offer special abilities, or cause epidemics, which intensify the game considerably. Finally, the team must draw three cards to see which cities are infected by the diseases. The game ends when players have researched the cure for all four diseases—or if any number of loss scenarios are triggered. The team can lose by running out of player cards, triggering too many outbreaks, etc.

I've played it so much because:
1. It’s tense and difficult. Pandemic is devilish. I know people who have never beaten the game on normal difficulty or above. Having played the regular game more than ten times and Legacy Season 1 all the way through, I’m finally becoming comfortable with my technique.
2. It’s a heavier game that’s still family friendly. I prefer the weight and depth of Pandemic Legacy by a mile, but regular Pandemic is still my go-to cooperative game with casual and even heavier gamers. While I won’t be teaching it to my parents, it’s fine to play with just about anyone else.
3. The replay ability is staggering, especially with the expansions. If you ever get bored of the base game, go buy On the Brink, In the Lab, etc. They drastically change the experience.
4. You get to save the world! Disease outbreaks are a fascination in American culture (can’t speak for other societies). Everyone I’ve introduced has really gotten into the theme and felt the weight of the team’s task in attempting to stop global outbreaks.

I'd play it more if:
1. they offered elements from Legacy in the base game. Again, the expansions are nice, but several elements from Legacy (no spoilers here!) REALLY enhanced the experience for me. I had a hard time going back to the base game afterward, and actually ended up integrating a few of the Legacy components for added depth.
2. the theme were a bit more engrossing. The world map and roles are just fine, but disease cubes don’t really do it for me. Again, Legacy does a much better job with this. This is a very minor spoiler, so don’t read on if you plan to play Legacy and have not. One disease is “special,” and I won’t say how, but the figures used to represent it are very thematic. I’d like to see upgraded components like this in the regular game.

Rating:

Overall: While Pandemic Legacy is my second favorite game of all time and one of two games I’ve given a 10/10, base Pandemic is still a solid 9. If you’re looking for a cooperative game that’s a step up from Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert, look no further. Pandemic is genuinely difficult and requires tight teamwork. It’s almost an experience more than a game, and is certainly the type of game people talk about for months afterward. You’ll hear avid players recall particular games with either fondness or revulsion, and that adds to the game’s mystique. It’s a modern classic that belongs in almost everyone’s collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 20X Reviews - Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy Season 1
I was not tempted by Pandemic Legacy until just now. Thanks for the concise review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
titusm wrote:
I was not tempted by Pandemic Legacy until just now. Thanks for the concise review!

Have fun! If you have a good group, it'll be one of the most tense and exciting experiences you'll have. We actually lost sleep over it. Not kidding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the bits and pieces add to Legacy were already in at least one of the expansions (e.g. quarantine markers are in State of Emergency, although they work slightly differently. Iberia also has water purification markers that work similarly).

We found that as we opened boxes in Legacy, we went "Oh, this is like module X from expansion Y" which made it much easier to move quickly through.

Of course, Legacy also contains quite a number of things that are definitely *not* in any of the existing Pandemic expansions - some with good reason (as they are basically stickers added to the board/cards/characters) - but others might show up in future expansions or variants, I guess

Vanilla Pandemic is hard to go back to, I'll agree - except if you're teaching it to brand brand brand newbies, then I'd stick with the most basic of rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juzzo Hawkins
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Molokov wrote:
Many of the bits and pieces add to Legacy were already in at least one of the expansions (e.g. quarantine markers are in State of Emergency, although they work slightly differently. Iberia also has water purification markers that work similarly).

Spoilers!!!

I love pandemic MORE now we finished legacy. since it finished i have purchased nearly all of the pandemics.....blush my favourite expansion by far is "On the brink". the mutating disease with the virulent strain is fantastic
Great game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike U
msg tools
mbmbmb
z10n x wrote:

2. It’s a heavier game that’s still family friendly. I prefer the weight and depth of Pandemic Legacy by a mile, but regular Pandemic is still my go-to cooperative game with casual and even heavier gamers. While I won’t be teaching it to my parents, it’s fine to play with just about anyone else.

I taught it to my non-gaming parents and they really enjoy it!

As for going back to base Pandemic, I'm currently playing Legacy and I can see how the base game might seem dull. However, I've always thought On the Brink is a must-have expansion, and with that I'm sure I can always go back to the non-Legacy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I taught it to my non-gaming parents and they really enjoy it!

As for going back to base Pandemic, I'm currently playing Legacy and I can see how the base game might seem dull. However, I've always thought On the Brink is a must-have expansion, and with that I'm sure I can always go back to the non-Legacy game. [/q]

Nice work teaching it to your parents! Maybe it's worth a shot, after all.

I really need to by On the Brink. I've played Pandemic about 30 times now, and it's starting to get just a bit dull, especially after Legacy. Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Harris

Utah
msg tools
Wow a 10/10 of Pandemic Legacy? I need to make sure I get it then. My wife's favorite game is Pandemic and its pretty high on my list to. But it if it is that good I better make sure I keep my eyes open for a good deal for Christmas or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
akh21 wrote:
Wow a 10/10 of Pandemic Legacy? I need to make sure I get it then. My wife's favorite game is Pandemic and its pretty high on my list to. But it if it is that good I better make sure I keep my eyes open for a good deal for Christmas or something!

I definitely recommend it, as long as you guys have 20-25 hours to devote. It's not perfect, but it's an incredible experience. My best friend and I blew through the game in three days; we would continue playing for 5+ hours after my wife had gone to bed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.