Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Indonesia» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas to improve components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi,

I recently obtained a second edition copy. I dont quite like the components and would like to inquire about ideas as to options to improve them (e.g. Wooden ships (which ones?), alternatice markers for production areas (ideas), etc...

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
(This came up in another thread, so I'm reposting my response)

At minimum, knowing what's in the new edition, I would spring for cubes for the plants (the chits are a pain), this map, and more player color discs to differentiate whose plantations belong to whom. I also made smaller player mats and bigger city cards, though I think that was fixed in the new edition. I also removed anything that had that script typeface which is terribly illegible, and use smaller city markers which fit the spaces on the map better.

Here's my copy. I got most of my components from Print and Play Productions.

13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8bg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3344293/indonesia
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to the game and have only just played my first game. I'm interested in purchasing wooden ships to replace the cardboard ones of the 2nd edition.

From my understanding, two potential options could be:
1) Purchase ships in a variety of non-player colors and use these for each shipping company.
2) Purchase ships in each player color.

#2 seems more attractive to me, because it would be very easy to quickly identify the owner of the shipping company. However, it would seem to me that I would at least need 2 different ship types in each player color to account for separate companies that are adjacent on the map. Is this correct, and would 2 ship types be sufficient?

I'm asking because in the link above, only ships of one type were purchased and it seems to me that this could result in problems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the fact that the game provides three different ships for all player colors, I'd say no.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly online, so take this with a grain of salt. However, there are six different shipping companies. It is theoretically possible but unlikely that one player could own all six. Even then, each player has only five slots. So, the most a player could have is five different shipping companies. Thus, to account for all possibilities, you would need five different types of ships for each player.

The above is extremely unlikely to happen. The most anyone seems to ever have is two separate shipping companies. There is a strong incentive to merge shipping companies in order to increase effective range. Thus, having two types for each player color would likely be adequate for most games. In games where it's not sufficient, one player is probably not using theirs. Simply appropriate those not being used.

With that said, I'd probably not go that route. For one, it's much easier to distinguish based on color than shape/type for most people (color-blind people is a different story). Instead, I'd purchase six different colors of ships, preferably in non-player colors. I'd also purchase at least eleven of each. This would allow for the use of a single color for two deed companies, which are very common. Three and four deed companies are not unheard of. In those cases, you would need to use two colors, which is still easier to track/follow than three or four colors.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jbhuter6041 wrote:
I play mostly online, so take this with a grain of salt. However, there are six different shipping companies. It is theoretically possible but unlikely that one player could own all six. Even then, each player has only five slots. So, the most a player could have is five different shipping companies. Thus, to account for all possibilities, you would need five different types of ships for each player.

The above is extremely unlikely to happen. The most anyone seems to ever have is two separate shipping companies. There is a strong incentive to merge shipping companies in order to increase effective range. Thus, having two types for each player color would likely be adequate for most games. In games where it's not sufficient, one player is probably not using theirs. Simply appropriate those not being used.

With that said, I'd probably not go that route. For one, it's much easier to distinguish based on color than shape/type for most people (color-blind people is a different story). Instead, I'd purchase six different colors of ships, preferably in non-player colors. I'd also purchase at least eleven of each. This would allow for the use of a single color for two deed companies, which are very common. Three and four deed companies are not unheard of. In those cases, you would need to use two colors, which is still easier to track/follow than three or four colors.
Thanks Jeff for your very helpful reply. I was thinking along these lines as well and your points have helped a lot.

I agree that while having the ships in the player colors could be nice, the number of possible combinations means a lot of unnecessary wood to cover all possibilities. I think I agree that separate colors for the shipping companies (as it appears Andy is using in the image he posted above) makes the most practical sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
I am new to the game and have only just played my first game. I'm interested in purchasing wooden ships to replace the cardboard ones of the 2nd edition.

From my understanding, two potential options could be:
1) Purchase ships in a variety of non-player colors and use these for each shipping company.
2) Purchase ships in each player color.

#2 seems more attractive to me, because it would be very easy to quickly identify the owner of the shipping company. However, it would seem to me that I would at least need 2 different ship types in each player color to account for separate companies that are adjacent on the map. Is this correct, and would 2 ship types be sufficient?

I'm asking because in the link above, only ships of one type were purchased and it seems to me that this could result in problems.
I would not tie the ship colors to player colors. Companies can change hands, and picking up all ships on the board and replacing them every time this happens would be unnecessary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
I would not tie the ship colors to player colors. Companies can change hands, and picking up all ships on the board and replacing them every time this happens would be unnecessary.
You'd just need to change half of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
I would not tie the ship colors to player colors. Companies can change hands, and picking up all ships on the board and replacing them every time this happens would be unnecessary.
You'd just need to change half of them.
Company can be bought by third person.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update on what I ended up doing in case it helps anyone else.

I purchased 6 sets of wooden ships of different colors at spielmaterial.de. I bought enough of the ships to cover all possible scenarios (from all 6 owned as separate companies, to the 5 biggest merged). As others have pointed out above, it just wasn’t very feasible to do this in player colors.

In case anyone is curious, I wanted 2 extra ships of each color (one to mark the company deed and one to mark the Hull Company track). This meant that at minimum I needed 25, 15, 10, 7, 6, and 5 ships of the six companies to cover all scenarios of mergers. I just ended up buying 25, 15, 10, 10, 10, and 10 to prevent too much swapping in and out of the smaller companies.

I was unable to find six colors that didn’t overlap with either the player colors (red, orange, purple, blue, & yellow) or the goods colors (gray, white, green, natural, & black). I could find two colors (pink and brown) outside of these, but for the others I had to decide whether it would be more confusing if the ship colors matched goods colors or player colors. I decided that for me personally, it was less confusing if they match player colors, since player colors will only be used on the R&D track. I didn’t want any confusion with new players that “green boats can only ship green goods” etc.

So in the end I purchased pink (25), brown (15), red (10), yellow (10), blue (10), purple (10). In the long run, if I find that this is a problem I can just replace the player color discs with something outside of these colors. I also purchased wooden cubes in the five goods colors (gray, white, green, natural, & black) to be used to track sold goods for each city in place of the oversized wooden goods/or cardboard tokens. I bought 55 of each color, which I know is most likely overkill but the increase in cost was minimal. I like the idea of placing a cube on each production spot and physically moving these to the cities in the operations rounds. This shows which production companies sold all goods and what the cities can still receive. However, if this proves too fiddly I will just use these to mark the delivered goods.

These upgrades (ships and cubes) will also still be useable if Splotter does decide to offer smaller wooden goods tokens to be used as production sites. I hope that helps anyone else in a similar situation that wants to upgrade a few components.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marliv wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
I would not tie the ship colors to player colors. Companies can change hands, and picking up all ships on the board and replacing them every time this happens would be unnecessary.
You'd just need to change half of them.
Company can be bought by third person.
I was just stating the best-case scenario. :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
However, if this proves too fiddly I will just use these to mark the delivered goods.
I was about to say you make it more fiddly that it is, but that's your call. Enjoy your new Indonesia set!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am leaning towards purchasing wooden ships to replace the ship tiles.
I also am leaning towards replacing the wooden components with a solution resembling this customization:https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2732894/antiquity

The one thing holding me back is the thought of meeplesource suddenly offering custom replacement tokens for ships and goods (I noticed they did this for FCM and that game had great wooded tokens for food).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cor22bas wrote:
I am leaning towards purchasing wooden ships to replace the ship tiles.
I also am leaning towards replacing the wooden components with a solution resembling this customization:https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/273289

The one thing holding me back is the thought of meeplesource suddenly offering custom replacement tokens for ships and goods (I noticed they did this for FCM and that game had great wooded tokens for food).
Did you link the wrong image?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hmm. It seems I did... corrected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8bg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cor22bas wrote:


The one thing holding me back is the thought of meeplesource suddenly offering custom replacement tokens for ships and goods (I noticed they did this for FCM and that game had great wooded tokens for food).
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25028832#25028832
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
I guess I will wait...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played yet, I was thinking of using 8mm cubes with some 5x5x25mm wooden pieces like the Catan roads (instead of the ships that people are picking up). You know - kinda like the old Diplomacy days! Possibly even add a longer length (40mm) to better emulate the 1e idea of 3 colours, two types each.

Would this cause any problems for the game play?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the reprint thread:

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Here's my mini review of the components.

Over the past few weeks we've played both the old and new editions of Indonesia. The new edition map board is probably the biggest improvement. The area boundaries and sea boundaries are much clearer. The city cards and company cards are both improvements and are much easier to read. The city tokens are the same although colors have been switched which we found confusing when moving from one edition to the other.

The plantation tokens are, as indicated, unusable as such. Rather than use the cardboard delivery tokens instead I opted to get an assortment of cubes in the same colors as the plantation tokens. Cubes really are the ideal size for this map. We used the delivery tokens as originally intended which created much less clutter than trying to use the wooden plantation tokens as delivery tokens.

The cardboard ship tokens are an improvement in that they are in player colors which make it easier to track who owns which company. However, they are too large to be functional in the smaller sea areas above Bali and the Java islands. The original wood tokens are better in that regard. I've sourced sets of wooden ships from Catan in player colors as a replacement. I'll also look into finding some stickers or some such to be able to track multiple shipping companies in one player color.

Finally, I'll be looking for something to use to track who owns which production company. I've got a bunch of plastic bingo tokens in player colors which might work well for that.

Although the rules are, compared to some modern euros, fairly simple they create complex situations. Representing these situations as clearly as possible is, I think, essential to playing the game. Excessive clutter and otherwise obscuring features of the map should be minimized wherever possible. I would recommend finding alternatives to the bits in the box along the lines of what I have suggested above. Apparently Meeplesource is looking into creating a set of pieces for the game. Hopefully they keep functionality and readability as the primary focus for their design. Otherwise, check ebay, etsy and your local thrift shops for alternatives.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the meaning of the 1-5 numbers in the seazones?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
what is the meaning of the 1-5 numbers in the seazones?
Seems that they put the boats over them to designate their capacity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I buy splotters wooden ships? Speilematerial have some that look almost hte same but they are little bigger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls