GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

LYNGK» Forums » General

Subject: Which element is this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Wang
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone notice that the last 5 games all had an element?

TZAAR is earth as the pieces collect and form mountains.
DVONN is fire as the red peice spreads across the board destroying others.
YINSH is wind as it blows and flips the pieces over.
ZERTZ is water as the tide rises to slowly drown away the footings.
PUNCT is heart ahem ... mind as the pieces represents the connectivities of your neural networks.

So what element is LYNGK GOing to be? I've been trying to google this but can't find the answer anywhere on this PLANET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamsk which was originally part of the series is time
Gipf combined all of it into one larger game

Maybe Lyngk is forming the head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Fong
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:

PUNCT is heart ahem ... mind as the pieces represents the connectivities of your neural networks.

So what element is LYNGK GOing to be? I've been trying to google this but can't find the answer anywhere on this PLANET!

It would seem the original concept of element has been deleted by the new publisher. The new box art is pedestrian, banal, and just plain fugly. I recall reading that the publisher felt the original art was too "cerebral".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:

Frankly I never thought the games were about elements. I always associated them to their "terrains" on the cover.

Gipf = mountain (you form range of mountains with your pieces, lining them up)
Dvonn = vulcan (board and options slowly getting melted from outside to inside, red is a safehaven in this landscape).
Tzaar = desert (sand dunes being formed, raised and destroyed)
Yinsh = sky? tornado? cloudy? (constant shifting of ownership, formations changing everywhere).
Zertz = island (islands are formed as the tide rises to slowly drown the landmass)

And Punct is the odd one out (neural links?). I couldn't care less about it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Fong
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think there were remote themes of "element".

Gipf comes from German word, gipfel, which means to summit. This came from Kris Burm being a mountaineer. So I suppose Gipf is EARTH.

Tamsk was the sands of TIME. (A fifth element of sorts.)

Zertz was WATER/ICE. (Melting ice...leading to isolated islands?)

Dvonn was the FIRE of life.

Yinsh was the WINDS of change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Total V3rspielt
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mb
After some extensive research flying to belgium to interview asking Google I think I can solve the mystery:
http://www.gipf.com/punct/intro/intro.html
http://www.gipf.com/news_archive/news_sept11_05.html

GIPF: human mind

The four elements:
TAMSK: earth
ZÈRTZ: water
DVONN: fire
YINSH: air

and the fifth:
PÜNCT: spirit

About the box artwork, while I personally like the original artwork of the Don & Co. editions the best, I think that Huch have done a good job to give the new boxes a clean contemporary look that stands out on the shelf. And packaging with a twenty year old design doesn't really help sales. Let's not forget that the artwork was already changed by Smart, and not for the better. Kris Burm's comment is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
Honda

Uh-uh. Sorry, it was this element silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
United States
California
flag msg tools
According to the rules, LYNGK is is about "Networking." You can just stop reading there and be happy, but now I will go on a long rant... If anything this makes LYNGK's theme more akin to PUNCT in that it could be about neural networks and how once an idea begins, it travels through past experiences stored in our memories to decide the best way forward. So in a manner of speaking, it is about "Maturity." I say this is related to PUNCT because, while PUNCT was based on the concept of "spirit", the rules go on to specify that as part of the human mind it has the potential to create. As such, I always played that game as though I was forming a rural network to get an idea from start to finish. Now all that said, the game art is a detail of a piece of marble. I don't see this as a mistake or a throwaway as some have already begun to complain on this site. If this game truly is to be a synthesis of the previous games, marble is a pretty good way to tie all the games together. Marble is metamorphic limestone, so follow the logic: ZERTZ is about water, which is where prehistoric corals, mollusks, etc used to live. TZAAR is about time (some want it to be about "sand" but that is just a metaphor) and there is a lot of time between all those creatures dying and the sedimentary formation of limestone. DVONN is about heat, which when applied to limestone with enough pressure creates marble. Marble also contains silica (which if you really want to be TZAAR's sand then fine) which would have been transported to the limestone creation site by YINSH's wind. Given enough time, this marble is forced up to the surface to create the GIPF mountains. And hey... marble kind of looks like PUNCT neural networks. This is another, much longer way of getting to "Maturity." All that said, this looks to be a pretty fun game. Can't wait to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Wentzler
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be surprised if the whole "networking" shtick came from Huch. Before the game was called Lyngk, the Lyngk move was called "bouncing". Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea that helps reinforce the rules.

This has been the story for as long as I can remember:
Gipf is the nexus of the project.
5 elements form 'satellite games':
Tamsk, replaced by Tzaar, is earth (never time!)
Zertz/Dvonn/Yinsh is water/fire/air
Punct is the fifth element: the mind/spirit (the box art depicts neurons)

I knew about this before all the games were made, before there was even so much as a name for them. The original rules booklet even has a 'story' about the elements in it.

LYNGK, however, was never part of the original plan.

LYNGK came into being while Kris was trying to achieve a completely different goal which I can't talk about - call it a by-product.
It became clear pretty soon though that it HAD to be a Gipf game;
It just had too many elements of the other games in it not to be.

However, it doesn't fit the original story and so it fills a different role than the satellite games. You should see LYNGK as the Yin to Gipf's Yang; the capstone, or "umbrella" as Kris calls it.

It forms a connection between the elements in a different way than Gipf: it has a bit of every game.

Zertz, because every piece starts out neutral.
Tzaar, because of the random start and how you stack.
Yinsh, because you have to remove stacks of five
Dvonn, because there are three special pieces you can never claim
Punct, because you naturally form connections

Most importantly, because it has a different place in the project, there will not be an associated potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
nushae wrote:

I don't see this parallel. What are the connections that are being formed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Wentzler
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cadavaca wrote:
nushae wrote:

As you learn to play the game better and better, you will find that one of the things you are aiming for is a good "lyngk net". Meaning, positioning your pieces so as many as possible can be used for lyngk moves.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on a short hiatus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
cadavaca wrote:
nushae wrote:

In my opinion, PUCNT and LYNGK both are connected by having to keep your strategy hidden.
In LYNGK, you don't want to make it obvious what color you're going to claim. In PUNCT, you don't want to make it obvious too soon what two sides you're connecting.
So, in that way the two games are linked together forming a strong connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.