GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you add Indebted to the pool of possible basic weaknesses your Investigator can start with does that mean you need to look at the randomly drawn basic weakness before you add it to your deck? I usually don't look at it to create a surprise element, but since this card would have to start in play I assume you need to know if you pulled it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, not knowing is actually a variant.

If you want you can have a friend check your weakness so that at least you are in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnagrocK wrote:
So, if you add Indebted to the pool of possible basic weaknesses your Investigator can start with does that mean you need to look at the randomly drawn basic weakness before you add it to your deck? I usually don't look at it to create a surprise element, but since this card would have to start in play I assume you need to know if you pulled it. Thanks

i've had this same question, and in my case decided on the first pull of the card i would lose 2 resources, which creates an issue if i only have 1 or none, but at least keeps it a surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Coo Coo, thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
People can play with whatever variants they want, but I don't get this whole "not looking at weaknesses" idea thematically.

Wouldn't your character know they were in debt? Or wouldn't they know a detective was investigating them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
People can play with whatever variants they want, but I don't get this whole "not looking at weaknesses" idea thematically.

Wouldn't your character know they were in debt? Or wouldn't they know a detective was investigating them?

Even in this day and age that isn't true. Debt is something that can slip people's minds, especially when it's a small bill that snowballs due to interest. Investigators, however, are almost always done without tipping off the person being investigated, that is until they move in for the arrest or bring charges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
iGniGhted wrote:
i've had this same question, and in my case decided on the first pull of the card i would lose 2 resources, which creates an issue if i only have 1 or none, but at least keeps it a surprise

I know that people who are going to play this variant are going to play this variant, but keep in mind that losing 2 resources on turn one is quite different from losing them on turn five or something when you are already established with assets.

I agree that it doesn't make thematic sense not to know. Are you claustrophobic? You probably know that. Did you take a mob loan you didn't pay back? Probably know that too... Still, play on as you feel the need to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:

I don't get it either, and that's OK, except now there is a mechanical reason to play the "correct" way. There is a big difference between losing 2 resources before your first turn and losing them later when you've got your board set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

I don't get it either, and that's OK, except now there is a mechanical reason to play the "correct" way. There is a big difference between losing 2 resources before your first turn and losing them later when you've got your board set up.

I agree with this last statement. If you play Indebted as a card drawn from the player deck that makes you lose 2 resources, then it's just a variation on Paranoia, only much less severe.

That said, it can be fun not to begin your first Scenario, not knowing what your basic weakness is. It's a nasty surprise when it comes along! Thematically, I explain it as follows: The stress of confronting unspeakable mysteries and putting ourselves in mortal perils reveals weaknesses we never knew we had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding this card - I'm guessing it stays in your deck and, when drawn, does nothing apart from taking up space. Does that sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
Regarding this card - I'm guessing it stays in your deck and, when drawn, does nothing apart from taking up space. Does that sound right?

Oh, hey. Remember that time I answered my own question?

From arkhamdb.com:

Permanent

Permanent is a deckbuilding keyword ability.

A card with the permanent keyword does not count towards your deck size.

A card with the permanent keyword still counts as being part of your deck and must therefore adhere to all other deckbuilding restrictions.

A card with the permanent keyword starts each game in play and is not shuffled into your investigator deck during setup.

A card with the permanent keyword cannot be discarded by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:

Permanent cards aren't actually drawn from the deck. They remain in play at all times. This effect is described on FFG's website, here:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/4/the-mis...

EDIT: Ninja'ed!! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarawd Jackson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just an idea - mark one corner on the permanent weakness cards (assuming there will be more in future). When you draw a weakness blind you can peak at the corner to see if you nead to play it at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Pacześ
Poland
Puszczykowo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question: as this card DOES NOT count towards your card limit does it mean you draw second basic illness when you get this card at the beginning of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bee

Washington
msg tools
mbmb
IDEA:

If you use the variant rules for weaknesses where it is a blind pick, this is what our group is going to do:

If you reveal a permanent weakness during the course of the game, put it into play as a permanent card. This weakness will carry over to the next campaign session, resolving any "at the start of game" triggers. Flavor wise for Indebted it fits. Your character receives a past due bill and they have to pay it next week! Gameplay wise it is a delay in things to come. The Random weakness in the current game didn't effect you, but unlike your fellow investigators your next game will include 'Indebted' AND a new unknown weakness you may have to contend with! two, two, two weaknesses in one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is exactly how the card is supposed to work... start in play for every scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skywarden wrote:
One more question: as this card DOES NOT count towards your card limit does it mean you draw second basic illness when you get this card at the beginning of the game?

No.

The card-count deck construction restriction only applies to player cards.

It does not apply to any Weakness, Basic Weakness, Signature Asset, or Story Asset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.