Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Fantastic game. I was hoping to get some clarification about overlapping bases.

It seems clear in the rules that when two minis have their bases overlapping, they don't block each others line of fire, that is to say, the line of fire going OUT. The rules state that for other planes all other firing rules remain the same.

If all rules remain the same, and I'm drawing a line from my plane to two planes that have overlapping bases and that line of fire crosses airplane A's base before it crosses airplane B's base, can I shoot at airplane B? Do overlapping bases block line of fire for fire coming IN? If so, does that mean that airplane B can shoot at me but I can't shoot back?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand it, the spirit of the overlapping rule is the same as with the card-only game. That being...

If an aircraft card is overlapping any other aircraft card, those aircraft cannot fire at each other. They may, however, fire at any other aircraft within range and angle that they are not currently overlapping.

I would rule that an aircraft not involved in the overlap can still have its shot blocked by the nearer of the overlapping aircraft. So, yes, a shot line drawn into the overlapped aircraft mess still needs to have an uninterrupted line of sight to the intended target aircraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but what are the rules for shooting at an airplane that is in an overlap situation? Does one of the overlapping planes block LOS to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that. I edited my reply to answer. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what my interpretation of the rules are. However, it seems a bit broken to me that two planes can be in range, both are in each others firing arcs and only one of them can shoot at the other. Its almost as if it's hiding behind another plane for cover! Any other help on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that it does this.

If the LOS is blocked in one direction, it's blocked in the other direction too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
Steve and Kevin are right: the spirit is the same of the card game, the LOS is either free or blocked in both directions.
If you apply the rules as they are written, I'd say with Steve that the line can be blocked by the card overlapping with the target/firer. But if you find it unrealistic since they are in the sky and so at different levels, just invent an optional rule that a card does not block aim to/from a plane it is overlapping. This is an easily customizable game...

All the best!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas King
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without going to much into what the rules say, I would not have any problem with someone shooting at a "Stack" of enemy airplanes but I would have a serious problem with someone shooting at an enemy stacked with a friendly. If the latter occurs I would call it a guy with a gun and a hostage and say you had to hold your fire to keep from shooting the "Little old lady."

This happened in Napoleonic navel warefare all the time. Little British ship goes between to big French boats and the French boats have to hold thier fire and take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chief stride
United Kingdom
wallington
Surrey
flag msg tools
1. can planes that are at 1 altitude difference but overlapping fire at each other?

2. if plane A wants to fire at plane B (both at same altitude) but plane C is inbetween them at a different altitude, is LOS still blocked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefdog wrote:
1. can planes that are at 1 altitude difference but overlapping fire at each other?

No. Under optional altiutude rules, the rulebook says:

Firing
When a plane fires at a targetwhose altitude differs by one level, treat short
range (half a ruler) as if it was long range (one card of damage). Planes at
one level of difference and at more than half of the ruler distance, or at two
or more levels of difference, can’t fire each other.

This does not change at all the rule that say that overlapping planes can not fire each other.

This was allowed by a further optional rule, "Nose up and down", that I initially designed as an Altitude Optional Rule for Burning Drachens, and then left out for the sake of simplicity (and to make room for some more substantial ones).

I even decided that when overlapping and then calculating the vertical distance, two half-rulers were exactly equivalent to two altitude levels. And one altitude level to half ruler.

Here it is:

Nose up and down

If two planes overlap and the last maneuver of one of them is a
climb, it can fire with its front machineguns to the other if the
latter is higher than it (at a higher level, or at the same level
with climb markers while the climbing plane has none). Treat it as a
short range shot if the two planes are at the same level or 1 level
of difference, long range if they are at two levels of difference.
If two planes overlap and the last maneuver of one of them is a
dive, it can fire to the other with its front machineguns if the
latter is lower than it (at a higher level, or at the same level
with climb markers while the diving plane has none). Treat it as a
short range shot if the two planes are at the same level or 1 level
of difference, long range if they are at two levels of difference.
A plane overlapping a ground trench can strafe it with its front
machineguns if its last maneuver was a dive shooting at short range
if the plane is a level 1 or 0, at long range if it is at two levels
of difference.
Immelmans and Split-Ss don't qualify as climbing or diving, so they
do not allow to fire to overlapping planes.
Rear machineguns of climbing planes can shoot to overlapping lower
planes and trenches at the distances stated above. Rear machineguns
of non-climbing planes can shoot to overlapping higher planes at the
distances stated above.

chiefdog wrote:
2. if plane A wants to fire at plane B (both at same altitude) but plane C is inbetween them at a different altitude, is LOS still blocked?

No. This comes from the rulebook, optional Altitude rules::

Blocked aim
When an airplane fires at a target at the same altitude, its aim is blocked by
airplanes at the same altitude. Only the altitude level counts, no matter
how many climb counters the airplanes have at the moment.

As "rulebook" I took the Miniatures one, available here:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

See http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/wings-of-war/m... at page 10, first column.

All the best!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
What about overlapping a balloon? Can an airplane still fire at a balloon it is overlapping?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.