GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,570 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Islebound» Forums » Rules

Subject: Town Hall - Renown Per Cube Placed On Influence Track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb

The Town Hall card's heading says, "+1 Renown when you place a cube on the Influence track." This seemed like a fairly over powered card, especially at only a cost of 6, as cubes are fairly easy to add to the influence track.

In the game we played, I had the Town Hall and had turns were I was adding 3 or 4 cubes to the influence track, bumping up my renown 3 or 4 at a time! As a secondary bonus, I was clogging up the influence track so others couldn't make good use of it. The game ended with me over 100 points, and everyone else in the 40s.

There was no Town Hall clarification at the end of the rulebook. Were we playing this card correctly?

I think there are 3 possible interpretations:

1) 1 Renown per every cube placed. (I think too powerful)
2) 1 Renown per action, or free action(s), that results in cubes placed. (I think a bit more more balanced)
3) 1 Renown per cube(s) placed, max 1 per turn. (I think too weak)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't say place 1 renown per influence cube, it says to place 1 renown when you place a cube. I read that to be 1 renown per turn, not per cube. So you only get 1 renown even if you place 2-3 cubes.

Of course, that's just my opinion and it's not based on anything from Ryan, so just take it as a discussion point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I read that to be 1 renown per turn, not per cube.

No other card power has a "once per turn" limit. Only the cards with the arrow icon, with a number, specifically seem to be limited.

Case in point, the Mercenary Guild has very similar icons and text and does not appear to be limited to once per turn:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
it says to place 1 renown when you place a cube. I read that to be 1 renown per turn, not per cube.

We interpreted the card the same way, otherwise it seems far too strong. There are multiple other threads on the Town Hall but i don't know an official final answer was ever given.

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are 3 interpretations possible:

1) 1 renown per cube (I think too powerful)

2) 1 renown per action that results in cubes (Maybe a little more balanced?)

3) 1 renown max per turn (I think too weak)

(copied into original post)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
There are multiple other threads on the Town Hall...

Oops. I just found the one other thread on the Town Hall (Town Hall, really too strong?). Were there others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Frick
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Is this real? What is real?
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the first interpretation is correct after getting clarification from Ryan directly. This would be true of other cards that give you something when you receive something else, in these cases you would receive it each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
wait - can you buy multiple buildings in one turn??

We weren't sure about this - we did play that you can do two events if both events were on the area that you landed on. I'm assuming you can't do an event, and then do the next event that gets revealed?

edit: never mind i found answer on these forums from Ryan Laukut
"Yep, you can buy more than one per turn. And each time you buy, reveal a new card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo28 wrote:
wait - can you buy multiple buildings in one turn??

We weren't sure about this - we did play that you can do two events if both events were on the area that you landed on. I'm assuming you can't do an event, and then do the next event that gets revealed?

Yes. Buying a building is a free action and you can perform as many free actions as you would like (and can afford).

The same goes for events: free actions, unlimited. You can do all of the events in your space, even new ones that appear after you have completed one and revealed another, so long as you can pay any costs associated with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
ok thanks for both answers! i hope ryan also answers the OP's question because that is what I came here for and it doesn't seem definitive. Last night we played that you do get renown per EVERY cube you place which seemed correct based on the wording but way powerful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo28 wrote:
ok thanks for both answers! i hope ryan also answers the OP's question because that is what I came here for and it doesn't seem definitive. Last night we played that you do get renown per EVERY cube you place which seemed correct based on the wording but way powerful!

Actually, Andrew Frick posted above that he got the answer from Ryan directly and the correct interpretation is that the player will get one Renown per every cube placed, individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.